It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who was Vietnam Pirate Radio Host David Rabbit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Dave Rabbit Comment To Preface

This was one of the things I came across back in February 2006 when I found out that my Dave Rabbit persona had been living on without my knowledge. It was on March 1, 2006 that I responded to this guy and first stepped foot on ATS. Some of you may find this interesting. Dave

In 1971 in Vietnam an underground radio show located on 69.69 freq on FM called "Radio First Termer," hosted by "David Rabbit."

It took a seriously ant-authoritarian tone, promoted drug use, exposed MP raids, etc.

David Rabbit's true identity was never revealed and the show was apparently not busted. Since it's easy to trilocate a radio source that plays continuously for three hours, it's hard to determine why this channel was never shut down. The military routinely shut down pirate radio to keep it from undermining morale.

Here's a link to some clips from Radio First Termer. It's rated about level R, by the way.

Radio First Termer with David Rabbit

Personally, the show was too big to go unnoticed and there's no way to cloak a broadcast location. The show was probably an inside job performed by military intelligence. If the troops are going to listen to pirate radio, play something that doesn't actually give away intelligence. Also, it's easier to identify an actual pirate station if people hear it a few times, and easier to keep people from listening to it.

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hi John...

FIRST OFF..... CLICK THIS to enter "THE RABBIT ZONE"!

The Dave Rabbit Official Podcast Home

Now.... nice attempt at a theory bud, but DEAD WRONG.

First off, our show ran for 21 days straight from January 1, 1971 through January 21, 1971. "WE" stopped the show... not anyone else. "WE" stopped the show because of increased and intense pressures being put upon troops who were protecting us.

Second, we did not go UNNOTICED.

Third, our location in a whore house in Downtown Saigon was never discovered. Your triangulation theory is great... BUT it depends on WHO, I repeat WHO is suppose to be looking for you.

There is a new documentary from David Zeiger which is getting critical acclaim from critics all over the world who have previewed the film, which will be coming out shortly. You will quickly learn, that there were hundreds of thousands of GI's, both enlisted and officer, who created such an overwhelming anti-war movement within the military itself... that it changed the course of the war and history as everyone knows it. The documentary, "Sir, No Sir" brings to the public this HUGE MOVEMENT that most NON-MILITARY people in the world didn't have a clue existed. Because of THAT..... we were NEVER CAUGHT. You may not put a WOLF to guard the COWS .... but having a STEER watch the COWS is another matter.

Here is the site for the documentary. Watch the Trailer. You can also go to the Audio page, where they have included lots of the clips of the original show.

The "Sir! No Sir!" Website & Home

Thanks for making me a "conspiracy theory".... it was just another thing that kept, what I didn't know even existed until February 9, 2006, alive and well.

I remember what my first grade teacher once told me.... *F BOMB* YESTERDAY, FORGET TOMORROW... LIVE TODAY. Wait, no... that was a Drill Instructor at Basic Training.

By the way... WE ARE GOING TO IRAQ!

Take care!

Dave

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Hi Dave

Hope that's really you and I'm not making an arse of myself but not often you get to converse with a legend!

Had a tape of one of your shows years ago and still remember the day it got chewed by the stereo.

Damned funny! and I'm sure it was much appreciated by the audience at the time.

Similarity between lifers and flies?

ATB

S

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Hey Strangerous (Salute).

Yeah... it's REALLY me. Go to our Home Page and you can catch up on me, now that I am out of the "Rabbit Hole". There are also some NEW BITS that are going to be a part of the 35th Anniversary Show.

daverabbit.podomatic.com...

Lot's of neat things going on. In discussion right now with some "Hollywood" types about a project or two together, including going back to Saigon (can't get use to Ho Chi Minh City.. sorry) to do a LIVE BROADCAST of a 35th Anniversary show.

Well... you can go to the home page and download a lot of the BITS of the only surviving show, which I assume is the one you originally had... we don't think another existed after 35 years.

Also... you can go to this site that is owned by one of my partners in Rabbit Productions and download MOST of the complete show for free.

daverabbit.podomatic.com...

I have just completed a Music Video Bio which is going to be included in the SPECIAL FEATURES DVD of "Sir, No Sir" after it has completed it's theatrical run and can be bought by individuals.

www.sirnosir.com...

I just recently did an interview with Corey Deitz (About Radio)

radio.about.com...

where I discussed several things, including doing a project with John Densmore of the band, "The Doors" and also co-founder of Chance Films.

www.juvies.net...

Thanks for taking the time to say Hi. Come visit us on the Home Page to stay up with what we are doing.

(Salute)

[edit on 10/25/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Brother Dave Rabbit
. It's like a ghost from the past. I remember hearing your shows in Nam. After reading everything that has been written about you, you must really be blown away by all the press and attention. I bet you never counted on that, huh?

I can't tell you how great it was to go to your site and see all the fun stuff and listen to all of the hilarious audio clips. I loved the coupons for the Ho Chi Minh Memorial Whorehouse & Delicatessen.

I really loved the "Dave Rabbit's Vietnam - The Road To Radio First Termer" movie on your site. Now that was cool. It was especially neat to hear your voice again. You still sound the same.
I also loved the "Dave Rabbit Autographed Dildo Commercial"

Going to Iraq. Wow. Those troops are really in for some fun.
! It was really cool hearing your teaser of the new Radio First Termer Iraq show. I saw also in the About Radio article that you are getting ready to do a Movie.

I got your e-mail address off of your site and will send you some information as I did hear your show live. I was there from November 1970 to November 1971.

Great to have you back Brother Dave.

Mack

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hey Mack....

Thanks For the kind words.

Since coming out... I have had tons of e-mails from fans all over the world. The biggest question, besides the obvious one "Who Are You Really?"
...... is HOW I go about creating a bit from this brain of mine. So here goes.

"The Rabbit Zone"

When I came out February 9, 2006 and established my relationship with Will Snyder and a handful of others, I wanted to help Will IMPROVE the site by adding content that had never been seen before such as photos, videos, etc. I created a Home Page promo for him, which was okay, but there was not a lot of thought that went into it. So, over the course of the last several weeks, I knew I wanted to REDO it with something that would CATCH PEOPLE OFF THEIR GUARD like I did 35 years ago.

I am driving to meet a friend of mine for lunch and as I am driving this LIGHT BULB pops above my head and Rod Serling ENTERS. I know in an INSTANT that is where I want to go. On the way to, during and from lunch, I work out the concept in my mind. When I arrive home, I go immediately to my computer, open MSWORD up.... and start writing. If you haven't heard the CLASSIC "Rod Serling" and "Twilight Zone":

www.twilightzone.org...

I have always been a Science Fiction Fan.... Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Lost In Space, etc. Doing this NEW INTRO was my personal TRIBUTE to one of the greatest masters of Science Fiction of all time.. ROD SERLING.

So.... it takes me over an hour to come up with copy that HONORS Rod Serling and still includes Dave Rabbit satire. After reading over it numerous times to get the FLOW right.... I proceed to MIDNIGHT SUPPLY and acquire the original TZ Theme Song. Then, I read the copy over a dozen or so times with the theme to see if I need to ADD or DELETE something... where I end just as the downbeat of the theme is ending. This takes about 30 minutes or so. Now, I am ready to record.

I have, with the excellent help of my Radio First Termer Iraq Producer, Charlie Cooper, been trying to recapture the essence of what I was 35 years ago..... mentally, as well as my timing and voice. In a further bit of homage to my Hero, Rod Serling, I make the final decision to use voice inflections like he did. Obviously, I could never achieve his greatness, but I wanted it to sound as much as it would sound if he were doing it. In fact, as I was recording, I imagined HIM saying the words.

One thing I HAVE LEARNED in the past several months... is that when I record... DON'T just record once... then rewind... listen.... rewind... re-record and so on..... takes a butt load of time. So, I decide I want to do about 12 runs on it.... using different inflections here and there and refining my timing as I go along. My intent was to complete the recordings, then go back at the beginning and listen to them all, eliminating the ones I didn't like.... then listening again to the possible keepers. I start the digital tape and begin. As I am reading along and progressing, I get a bit frustrated as I know that I have gotten close, but not where I want to be. I decide that I am going to do one more and just select the best and let it go at that.... as I am doing number 12 and get through it, I KNOW it is the one. I don't need to listen to the others.

Coming Up With The Idea - 1 Hour

Conceiving The Concept - 3 Hours (And 2 Margaritas)

Writing The Copy - 1 1/2 Hours

Reading The Initial Copy For Flow - 30 Minutes

Acquiring The Theme From MIDNIGHT SUPPLY - 3 Minutes

Recording 12 Versions For Selection - 15 Minutes

Making A Decision On The Right One - Instantly

Honoring Rod Serling With RFT - PRICELESS

That's it..... from LIGHT BULB to END PRODUCT, a little less than 5 HOURS.

Dave

[edit on 10/25/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The Dave Rabbit Show was something I heard about from other G.I.'s. I remember hearing about pre-raid announcements, which immediately earned high points among the oppressed. Setting up a pirate station in Vietnam is an amazing feat and would be a better film than the Robin Williams version. What would the consequences be of a pirate station? Court martial? Discharge? Punish you by shipping you to Nam? BTW I believe I purchased some of that bad heorin from the Korean, who would I see about getting my MPC's back?

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
! So you were the ONE!

Dave

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
wow, dredging up memories from before my time… (my dob is 07/14/65) however my folks were Air Force… as I understood it, mom got out for getting knocked up with me and dad was kicked out for a variety of reasons (he was given an ‘honorable discharge’ with, unbeknownst to any of us at the time, a dishonorable spin number)

He was part of an extraction team that was going into those countries next to Viet Nam that we weren’t supposed to be in, at a time before it was even a “police action”. After said missions he was chemically debriefed, which apparently was quite effective ‘cause he didn’t remember Any of his overseas service until 1991 when he had his first heart attack.

The docs killed him, cut him up, and worked on his heart for three hours… it was pretty bad. Then they brought him back life… it actually Worked! He lived another 12 years… However, when they brought him back they told him that he might remember some stuff… (Apparently that whole ‘life flashing before your eyes’ thing when you die has some truth to it)

He remembered a Lot of crap that went down before I was born, and I (and his second wife) spent a lotta years tellin’ him to calm down or he’d have another heart attack.

For the longest time the VA and other services refused to admit that he ever was. (After all, we weren’t supposed to be there then, doing That, ya know?) Finally, a couple of months before he died (in 2003) the powers that be finally admitted that he was a VFW (which I still find kind of odd as we never actually declared War on them) and gave him a purple heart for something that went down in Cambodia (which I also find odd because we weren’t supposed to be There, either) but no benefits or GI loans or anything, and a Very Stern letter saying the matter was now CLOSED and he was Still sworn to secrecy and national security bs and other such ‘shut up or else’ crap.

At least he got to die knowing that what he remembered really happened and he wasn’t Quite as crazy as he sometimes thought he was….

My memories of that era are from a kids point of view… mostly I remember folks just wanting to be over, that it was a bad idea, and that we shouldn’t be there… sure, there were the ‘love it or leave it’ and ‘better dead than red’ crowd, but I don’t remember meeting any of them *shrugs*

I vividly remember when a friend of ours got The Letter. (drafted) He was so freeked out and so didn’t want to go that he spent a week or so drinking as much booze and shooting as much H as he could get his hands on, trying to mess himself up so badly that they wouldn’t take him…

He goes, he stands up to the line, turns out he was an inch too tall for the military so they sent him home with a thank you… I laugh now, but at the time it was pretty freeky.

A kids memory isn’t the best thing in the world, but I Swear I remember some guys coming back in ’72 that had a bootleg tape of your show (reel to reel tape)… not the stuff that is online either, but some other stuff… I’m trying to locate those guys now, but I haven’t seen or heard from any of the ‘old gang’ since ’76 so I kind of have my doubts *sighs*

I also remember a biker Angel dude wearing the rabbit shirt (F it before it Fs you) and me wanting that shirt very badly… still selling those? didn’t see any on the web site… would love to have a few…

The only person I can think of that Might have (or know some one who has) copies of your shows would be Dr. Demento… he has a rep for collecting rare and groovy stuff….

I’ve sent him an email regarding the subject, you might wanna do the same… It’s a long shot but it couldn’t hurt, right?

This kind of history needs to be preserved.

Glad to see you’re still kicking and doing your thing… wish my dad were here *sighs*

rock on
twj

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
TWJ..... wow... great story, sorry about your Dad.... wish he was around too. Well you are right about one thing.... whoever made the original recording... had to have used REEL to REEL. As memory serves, I first saw my first cassette player when I was at Phan Rang 69-70, before moving on to Saigon.

Uncle Ho's Souvenir Shop will be carrying the Dave Rabbit Sweatshirt (shirts in general) and the new Iraq Nadirah Shirt.... which hasn't been revealed yet.... but similar in nature... only FEMALE!

Yeah... if you happen to get a response from any of the old gang... let me know at my e-mail address or if you just want to be added to the "Insiders Club" to receive info on things we are doing, etc., that would be cool too.

I really appreciate you coming in and sharing your story. Your DAD was NOT the ONLY ONE in CAMBODIA and LAOS...... TRUST ME on that. We KNOW for a fact that the show carried not only throughout South Vietnam.... but North, Cambodia and Laos (got to love those AFVN Towers).

Again, thanks for taking the time.

[email protected]

PEACE!

Dave

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Hey dave,
added you to my address book, and will send any info I can find...

I'm estranged from my step mom... we ain't talkin' *shrugs* besides, she got rid of EVERYTHING when the old man died and moved in with some other dude... whatever, more power to her but too bad for us (he had a bunch of 'worthless' stuff as far as cash goes, priceless as far as history goes)

As far as finding the old gang goes... well, I'm hopeful but not holding my breath... the last time I saw the guy that had the tapes he was riding his Harely off into the sunset... but I'll poke around and see what I can find.

keep 'em flying.
twj

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
To QUOTE a famous Studio Engineer... RIGHT ON! Keep in touch and I will do the same. E-Mail me and give me your E so I can keep you in the loop from MY END!

Dave

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KimWHoffmanSetting up a pirate station in Vietnam is an amazing feat and would be a better film than the Robin Williams version

I totally agree. (who knows in the future?)

after digging some deeper into the history of ATS I wanted to find out a bit more about Dave Rabbit and I was amazed by the whole story.

It really is great we have a moral warrior like you here Dave.

Much respect

Grey Magic

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I can't believe it took me this long to notice this forum. I hope I am not being out of line posting their names but Opie and Anthony replayed some of your show recently. It was just a replay while they are on vacation, they actually commented on it a while back. Seriously the coolest show I ever heard and they gave you major props man. I think they were trying to get on on but I can't remember if they were able to or not, still what they did have and played was so good. The comedian, Jim Norton, commented at one point "who's cooler than this f'n dude?". Good stuff man.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I was looking for information about this new government radio (giveaway) disaster commercial running on wsb stations and it looks like I've found something much better. I didn't know about nam radio pirates until today, what a story!!!

These days we all need a secret relief station to tune into. How easy is it to repeat the past...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OrangeJuice

Thanks OJ.... appreciate the comments.

Dave

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

You're very welcome Dave,

I watched a show on the Discovery channel about a soldier named Michael that was killed over in Nam. A young woman ended up with his picture because she dated Michaels brother.

The lady becamed obsessed with his picture and her children began to hear an unknown radio station playing in their room!!! Michael was some kind of ghost that wouldn't leave until his picture was removed from her home. His family didn't want it back either. They said it felt like he was looking at them...

Could this station be from the Dave Rabbit show?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Given the recent news of Dave's passing, his old forum has been re-opened here on ATS.

I just hope there's a microphone for him, wherever he is.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Dave Rabbit

I left in 1970 C-227 First Cav 3 corps. then returned in 73 to 76 based out of Thailand. 2010 moved back to Thailand full time.

I logged on to ATS around 7am, saw this thread and read a few post. Played golf and came back around noon time and got hooked on all the music of those times and some of the videos which I have been listening to and watching all day.. What a memory dredge ! Thanks.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The doco he mentioned being made is now on YT

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join