It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tokyo sky city (city in the clouds)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
aparently they are starting to build a giant skyscraper in tokyo where people will live and work and everything
checkit out
dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
See, this is what happens when you live in a country with half the population of the US and graduates 4 times as many engineers each year.

Pitiful that the US isn't on top of this...but hey, then again they live on islands and are confined to very small areas.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ooh i was watching that today it was actually pretty cool, and after that there was something on how the Japenese also want to builda a giant flaoting pyramid holding huge 80 story skyscrapers

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
it looks impossible! i think i heard about the 'city in the sky' concept on some program about skyscrapers. but as for the size, and incredible weight etc...just doesn't seem do-able. although once we really mess this planet up i'm sure people will be living in air tight huge complexes like that, as the atmosphere will be unbreathable. scary thought.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senor_Vicente
Ooh i was watching that today it was actually pretty cool, and after that there was something on how the Japenese also want to builda a giant flaoting pyramid holding huge 80 story skyscrapers

I watched it also. I tink this building is diffrent, it doesnt look the same to me.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
See, this is what happens when you live in a country with half the population of the US and graduates 4 times as many engineers each year.

Pitiful that the US isn't on top of this...but hey, then again they live on islands and are confined to very small areas.

The United States does not need large towers such as those. We still have plenty of room.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter

Originally posted by Frosty

The United States does not need large towers such as those. We still have plenty of room.

True, but Frosty's point is well taken nonetheless. For the several semesters during which I taught math at a local college some time ago, my favorite students were without a doubt first generation immigrants, who understood and appreciated the value of the opportunities afforded by an education. Similarly, during my time spent in the IT industry, I was often asked why it was so popular for American s/w companies to outsource to India. "Simple," I would respond, "that is where all the engineers are."

Truth of the matter is we (Americans) are falling behind in the sciences, and while I am in awe of what would arguably be one of the greatest structural engineering projects in the history of mankind should it ever be built, I would be lying if I were to say that I wouldn't feel an immense amount of pride if such a project were to be built here in the U.S.

Furthermore, from what I can gather from the Discovery website, such an endeavor would provide a much more environmentally friendly alternative to the never-ending sprawl of concrete jungles. And considering we are the world's largest polluter, maybe such projects deserve consideration (in the U.S.) for environmental reasons alone?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
great idea, but its not exactly the most attractive or practical piece of architecture. all that weight from that "core center" suspended right over a stadium.

i want to see cityscapes like from the animes depicting a neo-tokyo ... or better yet, frank lloyd wrights mile high skyscraper. at least its attractive.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
How safe could they make these things?Also is their any specualtion on the time/man power/or the cost of such a building? I am thinking it would almost be cheaper to just spread out to the ocean by making towns that float on the surface.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
How safe could they make these things?Also is their any specualtion on the time/man power/or the cost of such a building? I am thinking it would almost be cheaper to just spread out to the ocean by making towns that float on the surface.

This is not going to be structure of Steel and Concrete, I hope all of you realize that. The only materials that would make this structure feasible is Carbon Nanotubes. Infact the Shimizu Megacity Pyramid(Mile High Structure btw) mega-trusses have to be made from a Carbon Nanocomposit, anything else would be too weak and too heavy. I see these structure being built before the Space Elevator btw
Maybe by 2020 Japan will be laying the foundation for one of these projects they surely need it badly. Just think of the technology that would come out of such a mega-project though... Boggles the mind.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
They should just call it the ant hill, because that what it reminds me of. Thousands of people living in one structure, no privacy, no lawns. Just some small garden areas...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
They should just call it the ant hill, because that what it reminds me of. Thousands of people living in one structure, no privacy, no lawns. Just some small garden areas...

Been to Japan lately? It's pretty much like that already.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by The_Final

This is not going to be structure of Steel and Concrete, I hope all of you realize that. The only materials that would make this structure feasible is Carbon Nanotubes. Infact the Shimizu Megacity Pyramid(Mile High Structure btw) mega-trusses have to be made from a Carbon Nanocomposit, anything else would be too weak and too heavy. I see these structure being built before the Space Elevator btw
Maybe by 2020 Japan will be laying the foundation for one of these projects they surely need it badly. Just think of the technology that would come out of such a mega-project though... Boggles the mind.

Agreed, I watched the same shows and they said Carbon Nanotubes would be the only thing strong enough and light enough for it to be built.They also said they would have to come up with a way to mass produce carbon nanotubes as well,although they made a breakthrough in mass producing carbon nanotubes it is still some time off before they would take on such a large project.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
carbon nanotubes...sounds like something off star trek

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I live in Japan myself and I've been in and out of Mid-Town Tokyo several times. They are indeed building something huge and I can almost garantee its this new cloud city sky scraper. There are 3 buildings I noticed that are made out of the same material (concret-like substance that I have never seen before) being built in widely spread out areas amongst the city. If this sky scraper is the real deal, than what I've witnessed by basically walking by and seeing it, is actually being built right now. Even more so with the epicenter of these 3 unbuild structures is a dome that looks exactly like a Stadium. Then there was this sign, like a construction lay out/plan and the only thing I could understand on the sign about these buildings numbers 2010-2013, which I know is the years these buildings are projected to be completely-built. ...And thats my two opinion/concrete evidence that this skyscraper is a highly likely possibility transpiring amongst us as we talk about it.

~ Eric ~

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is a bad idea in my opinion.

Humanity cant survive if we keep building urban centers. You cant destroy the Earth and expect for the Earth to continue to support you.

Not to mention this is a huge death trap. Cities are bad, so are skyscrapers. Each one is a potential 9/11.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The Shimizu Megacity Pyramid thats what its name was, anyway the engineers say the trusses that will hold the whole thing up will be hollow so people can commute

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by YaYo

Humanity cant survive if we keep building urban centers. You cant destroy the Earth and expect for the Earth to continue to support you.

Not to mention this is a huge death trap. Cities are bad, so are skyscrapers. Each one is a potential 9/11.

fricken environmentalist!

Humanity has not destroyed the earth...its fine. and BTW what the hell does that have to do with this????? If anything this building should be something you support, since so many living in a small area means less pollutions, one reason being no one needs to drive to work. But I guess people like you wont be happy until we either live in the trees, or kill ourselves.

damn tree huggin' hippies!

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
ok, so reading through the thread i have come to agree perhaps it is a little more practical than it would be if made of concrete. that doesnt mean it suddenly is attractive.

and its still nothing more than a giant bullseye for a 9/11 type attack.

anyone but me think its not exactly the most beautiful peice of ARchiTecture?

Originally posted by Murcielago
[snip]

If anything this building should be something you support, since so many living in a small area means less pollutions, one reason being no one needs to drive to work.

[snip]

i agree yayo. the entire design philosophy of these type of all-in-one buildings is to appease minds like yours. i could understand if you were protesting a new 5sq mi community of homes, offices, schools, parks, etc, but this is far from that.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by purelogik]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by YaYo

If everyone moved out of cities and tried to continues our same living standards living in small towns things would be allot worse. If we go back to tribal living at our current population level things would be even worse. Dense Cities are very very necessary, and if you were a true environmentalist you would relize this. See that worldchanging link in my siggy, click it and read the articles.

Murc, our planet is not 'fine' 2/3rds of all ecosystems which we depend upon as a species are out of balance and are getting ravaged by pollution, increasing temps and invasive species that hitch rides with us.

Oh yeah Yayo, your namesake causes lots of environmental damage in places like Columbia, drug lords and warlords care not for the environment just money and survival. We need more Urban Civilization not less of it.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by sardion2000]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join