It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Structures on the Cydonia Face?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The 1998 photography of the "Face" on Cydonia was obviously an attempt to debunk and hide the structures that exist and were photographed on the Cydonia Plateau of Mars. This new photography indicates some kind of obviously unusual and anomalous structure that cannot be explained by modern geology.

For, even casual examination of the Face as seen in this "new light" (above, top) reveals two new pieces of vital information: 1) that the eastern side, under even this pre-dawn illumination -- for whatever reason -- is incredibly reflective; and 2) that, in lowered contrast images (below) the source of this anomalously "high albedo" is an inexplicable series (in the natural model) of highly geometric "panels!"

This startling new image of the well-known "Face on Mars" (above) may ultimately be regarded as one of the most important photographs of the entire Space Program. For, after almost 30 years of acrid controversy and debate, a "whole new side" to this perplexing Martian mystery - and the profound social and scientific questions it continues to present - has now literally dawned �.

The image above is an enhanced, color close-up created by Keith Laney and the Enterprise Mission - from a combination of three 2001 Mars Odyssey VIS frames (of the five simultaneously taken by the Odyssey VIS camera system). The official image release is JPL/ASU V0 3814003 (below). The five frames - from the near "IR" end of the visible spectrum, to the "violet" -- were acquired by the Odyssey spacecraft as it flew over the Cydonia region on October 24, 2002 -- precisely one year (Greenwich time) after Odyssey arrived in Martian orbit.

www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I dunno. I've seen tens of pictures of that part of Mars and I'm fairly convinced that the face is just coincidence.

These features have been documented before.

www.electricwarrior.com...

This page from 2001 shows similar details.

These new details really don't look like anything to me. I'd like to be wrong. There are more interesting things on mars, like the alleged cities to the west of the face and the supposed rail system between them.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a very nice peice of info regarding our past and future.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The thing about all of this is that metal reflects light much more. The surface of Mars is iron and ironoxide (rust). It would make a lot of sense that it would reflect like that.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Phobos is far more interesting than that face.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cammo Dude
The thing about all of this is that metal reflects light much more. The surface of Mars is iron and ironoxide (rust). It would make a lot of sense that it would reflect like that.

Problem is that we have "red beds", IE layers and strata that are pure FeO2 (iron oxide), and they DO NOT have a high albedo. Granted, it is possible for FeO2 particles to be reflective, but there has NEVER been a condition in nature that is able to hold that strong a symmetry to give it a very high albedo. This suggests something artificial, or manufactured.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I just don't see it the same way you do.
It's like the old man of the mountain, in New Hampshire (Just collapsed a few months back) Besides, isn't the surface of Mars supposed to be ferrite, as in rusted metal? there is probably a layer underneath that's not all rusted up. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Heelstone:

Some info on Phobos for you.

Phobos, the largest Martian, gouged and nearly shattered by a giant impact crater and beaten by thousands of meteorite impacts, is on a collision course with Mars

Phobos, named after a messenger of the Roman god of war, is the larger of Mars' two moons and 27 by 22 by 18 km in diameter. It orbits Mars three times a day, and is so close to the planet's surface that in some locations on Mars it cannot always be seen.

Phobos is nearing Mars at a rate of 1.8 meters every hundred years; at that rate, it will either crash into Mars in 50 million years or break up into a ring. Its most prominent feature is the six-mile crater Stickney, its impact causing streak patterns across the moon's surface. Stickney was seen by Mars Global Surveyor to be filled with fine dust, with evidence of boulders sliding down its sloped surface.

sse.jpl.nasa.gov...

I have heard the rumors of it disappearing, and quite honestly, I do not find any credence to them.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Loki:

Yes, there is a high concentration of FeO2 (iron oxide) on the surface, although this is not well concentrated, and mixed throughout with silicates and some limestone. There is no evidence for well organized ferrous oxide concretions or structures that could do what is seen in these pictures. There is no information regarding a subsurface layer of unoxidized iron that could possibly be relfective (unless it is possibly artificial).

What we know of Martian soil composition comes from experiments carried aboard the Viking landers, and from spectral analysis of light reflected from dust storms in the Martian atmosphere. The Vikings detected iron-rich smectite clays, magnesium sulfate, iron oxides, and reactive oxidizing agents of unknown chemistry. They detected no organic compounds. Spectral analysis of the dust storms identified the smectite clay as montmorillonite. Smectites have the property of expanding when they contact water, and contracting when they dry. Silicate minerals, oxides (mostly iron), and some calcium carbonate were also found.

www.madsci.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
When I mention that Phobos is more interesting I am talking about the hypothesis that it could be hollow due to its orbit. Also, the 1989 Russian Phobos 2 incident in which the Phobos 2 probe broke before it had the chance to plant a couple of monitors on the small moon. Which gave us the famous final photograph of what is apparently a 15 mile long cylindrical object.

[Edited on 4-9-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
Which gave us the famous final photograph of what is apparently a 15 mile long cylindrical object.
[Edited on 4-9-2003 by heelstone]

Is there any chance that you'd know where I could view a image of this on the internet?

I heard about that but I never actually saw what they were speaking of, as for the face, I hope something is there, anything something! However I don't consider myself to be very keen on the subject of Mars.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Phobos 2's final image

There are several sites that have this information, plus sharper pictures. Though this site is a scan of a newspaper article. Which should alleviate skepticism that what was seen is a photoshop job.

Its not solid proof anything happened beyond standard hardware failure, but it is an odd picture regardless.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Read "DragonRider Versus OIMD: Aliens have never visited the Earth" in the debate forum. we had about a 3-4 post string that discussed the Fobos 2 mission.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'd like to read that, but I can't find it? The search keeps bringing up this post - lol, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 05:27 AM
link   
What Im really curious about are the glass tube structures on mars. What if they are some weird planetary creature that lived on mars along time ago and this is why the planet is now dead?

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Dragonrider, would limestone give that reflective effect? The Pyramids where originally coated with limestone and painted.
I doubt it would, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by infexious
I'd like to read that, but I can't find it? The search keeps bringing up this post - lol, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It's in the debate forum. Just scroll down the page

new topics

top topics

join