It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Children Now Allowed To Swear At Teacher

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Weavers School in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire will be allowing students to swear at the teacher, but only 5 times per lesson. A running tally will be on the board of how many times each student says the f-word at the teacher. If the student swears over 5 times, they will be spoken to after class. Students who do not swear at the teacher will be rewarded with "praise cards" mailed to their parents.

www.dailymail.co.uk
A secondary school is to allow pupils to swear at teachers - as long as they don't do so more than five times in a lesson. A running tally of how many times the f-word has been used will be kept on the board. If a class goes over the limit, they will be 'spoken' to at the end of the lesson.

The astonishing policy, which the school says will improve the behaviour of pupils, was condemned by parents' groups and MPs yesterday. They warned it would backfire.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This school has decided to reward good behavior instead of punishing bad behavior. The praise cards will be sent out for doing something so simple as showing up for class on time. What is the punishment for not doing so? No card will be sent. I agree with the parents, this is going to backfire. As one person said, the teachers should be setting an example. Instead they're told to tolerate (but not condone!) such language in class. If a student goes over 5 times, their teacher will speak to the class. That, however, may constitute a new lesson...

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is one step closer to home schooling my kids, if/when I have some.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The town’s slogan should read:

Striving for mediocrity in all the obtuse ways one sorta-kinda can….

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Striving for mediocrity in all the obtuse ways one sorta-kinda can….

Actually, it should be, "Striving for $#%&ing mediocrity in all the %^$&ing obtuse ways one ^%$#ing sorta-kinda can."

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
LM%^$%^$#%#AO

You still have 2 more to go today! *pats junglejake on the head* Now off ya go to recess, where we won't be listening....

I wonder how many times the parents are letting them curse at them at home....

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
how many times can they say "bloody hell" !!!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That is just ridiculous

What's next for high-school kids? Anyone who doesn't do more than 5 lines of coc aine off their desks during a single lesson gets an extra cookie at lunch???

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oh come now, you know how poorly funded public schools are. They can't afford coke -- it'll be 5 lines of crystal meth.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Seems like the english schools need to bring back the cane to keep them in line, I remember seeing kids get smacked with rulers and they tended not to lip off.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

If the student swears over 5 times, they will be spoken to after class.

My only question is, what is the word that will spoken to them?

And does it start with "F"?

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
At my High School... The teachers don't really care much if you curse... but the one word that is disciplined is if you say the F word... It's just a warning the first time. My US History teacher even swears during teaching. He tells us the some things n History just can't be explained well enough without the use of some of those words. I have absolutely no problem with it, and he's actually one of the better teacgers. Makes learning about the civil war much more fun. But what this school is doing... is just ^$%#ing idiotic. (1 down, 4 to go)

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I dunno, I don't think someone is very eloquent if they have to swear to get their point across. I'm sure you've seen the $#!^ episode of South Park -- the words lose their meaning if used too often. Personally, I only swear once in a blue moon. Not due to a moral issue so much (not really sure how saying the f word is taking the Lord's name in vain), but for other reasons. First, for the sake of decency -- I can convey myself well enough without offending or potentially offending others. The other reason is that when I do swear, people suddenly start listening. Sometimes that's not a good thing, tho

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
What choice do schools have anymore. If they do anything to discipline the kids they run home and tell mommy and daddy and blow it out of proportion, and the parents rush to the school and demand to know why their perfect little angel got punished in school. Until parents take responsibility for disciplining their kids, and raising them properly, this is always going to be a problem.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

this is pretty odd to say the least. one way i can see it working is by giving the kids this freedom to curse, they will grow bored of it and try to use other words to express themselves. maybe i'm giving our youth too much credit, but i can see this happening.

what a great way to vent.

*kid receives a C+ on math test*

YOU FLAMING C**T, YOU SHOULD GET YOUR F**KING HEAD OUT YOUR ASS NEXT TIME YOU GRADE THESE SH*TY TEST OF YOURS!

and he'll still make the 'good boy' praise

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Please, somebody tell me that this is a joke, a satirical piece on language.

This cannot be true.:shk:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I wish I could, Becky. I really wish I could.

If it's any consolation, it's only one school doing this, and when it completely backfires, hopefully it will be a lesson to others. Sadly, I doubt it will be...I'm guessing others will think they didn't do it right and get rid of the 5 F limit.

What's really disturbing is what's taking place here in America somehow under the radar. There's a thread about the schools superceding parents in medication distribution and discipline distribution:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
They should have grown up in South Africa, if you swore at a teacher 10 very painful canes for you and probably expulsion. We should be teaching our children to respect their teachers not tell them to go f themselves, it is a crying shame.

My one teacher used to take a run up before he caned you, ahh good times.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Does this include all types of the f word?

"She f***ing pisses me off." DOes that count?

"She f***ed herself over." Does that count?

"F***ity." Does that count? Is that a word or did I make it up?

Or does it have to be F***! to get written down?

4 down, one to go.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
What's really disturbing is what's taking place here in America somehow under the radar. There's a thread about the schools superceding parents in medication distribution and discipline distribution:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That thread is misinformation at it's finest. The "facts" presented there are exaggerated, hyperbolic and downright false. Look back through my posts if you want to; in a much earlier thread, I responded after having contacted both of my US Senators.

The scary part is that people jump to such conclusions instead of doing the proper research.

Sorry for going off-topic.

-john

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
First, profanity is a crutch of the inarticulate. The word that starts with F is used in so many contradictory ways as to have no real meaning of it's own. Most profanity has absolutely no purpose, other than to communicate the superlative degree, for which actual words are far more precise.

Second, what profanity communicates primarily is a profound lack of self-control. A person swearing is basically processing thoughts out loud and demonstrating his lack of respect for others, in that he either expects them to be either enraged or terrified by his profanity.

Third, we live in a society that glorifies confrontation. From Soap operas to professional wrestling to political debates, Americans and Britons are fascinated with confronting people and then verbally getting "up in their grill." Note the fascination with confrontation TV in the US like Jerry Springer, Cops, and "reality TV" in general. Profanity does not prepare youth to bargain or dialogue with authority; it teaches them to invite the wrath of others and to "match emotions" with the person doing the swearing.

Fourth, profanity generally has an inverse correlation with socio-economic status. If you have ever been around the rich and powerful, they rarely swear. I believe one of the reasons for this is that their wielding of social/economic/political/military power is based on their ability to control their emotions.

I have found that, in a society were profanity is a common-place, I can usually get a person's attention with "word-images" that are startling for their lack of profanity.

The one exception I have found to these ideas is when dealing with low-lifes, such as professional criminals. When I started in law enforcement, I worked in the booking room of a local agency. I originally tried to assure prisoners that my job was to secure their civil rights; that we operated a clean and safe jail, and that I had no personal stake in their guilt or innocence, but that they would be treated fairly until released.

After about 6-months, I reduced my introductory speech to the following:

"You can F--- with the cops, You can F---with the judge for all I care; but you'd bettern not F--- with me, because I fix your food. Do we UNDERSTAND each other?"

In my experience, the worse the criminal, the quicker they got the point. While there is no sure indicator of innocence or guilt, I did notice that the innocent usually began weeping after my speech, where as the guilty usually shook my hand at that point and said something along the lines of, "bro, we gone be tight, dude. You get no probs from me."

In summary, there are few situations where profanity is called for, and those situations are not encountered by people who mind their own business and stay out of government buildings in so far as is possible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join