It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should New Orleans be rebuilt?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It most likely will be rebuilt. There is no doubt there. It will most likely never be the same though. Most of the people who left are gone, and probably won't come back.

It's sad to say.

At the same time, I hope they will make a massive renovation of the levees and pumps.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
No, let it be the city was wiped out and is now contaminated with unknown toxins and chemicals. Its best just to place a gravemarker outside the city, scrap the metal, let the rest rot away, and make sure you never have the same thing happen again (out of human arrogance).

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vekar
scrap the metal, let the rest rot away

As a carpenter... I would like to make mention that many of the destroyed NO homes were 1920's or earlier built. Especially the 9th ward shotgun houses. All of the beams in them and all of the walls are salvageable HEART PINE. There is no longer is such a thing; the trees these homes were made of were over 300 years old when cut.

Salvaged vintage tongue and groove heart pine walls are worth $7/sqft anywhere on the Gulf Coast. Rough cut 2x12 heart pine beams are worth upwards of $100 each. From what I understand... it is all being junked by heavy machinery rather than disassembled and reused, as it would have been had this storm hit 100 years ago.

If this were my project to oversee... I would employ locals with the federal funds to dismantle and salvage. Rather than "junk and haul off" with corporate
demolition contracts.

Waste not... want not,

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Okay, so it's been a while since Katrina. Did they rebuild the city? You don't hear much about it on the news. What is New Orleans like these days?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Someone at the place I work has a nephew who lives there, and he told her it's still really bad.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Its still not as good as it was. But its comming back.
I believe it has like a third of the amount of people is used to have.
The Superdome...which got tons of coverage about how it was completely destroyed (obviously over-exagerated), has been revamped, everything in its has been replaced, to the tune of over 170 million. The Saints have every seat in the joint sold out for the year.
(BTW, everyone remembers how the Category 3 tore up the roof...well, it has a new roof, and the structure is rated good, all the way up to a Category 5)
Which will generate some needed cash flow to the city.

But there is still a lot that needs fixing, there still working on the new and improved levvees, I think there planning to have them done in 07'. Several areas still look as if the disaster happened last month...the houses are in a pile of ruble just waiting to be taken to a dump or something. And several hundred people are living in the FEMA trailers.

Theres no doubt that a disaster of that magnitude will take many more years to recover from...Progress is pretty slow...but its happening.

Edit: Heres a link to a picture taken on 10/23.
Northrop Grumman has a ship building facility in New Orleans...and this lastest ship to be built is called.....New Orleans (LPD 18).
media.primezone.com...

[edit on 25-10-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Edit: Heres a link to a picture taken on 10/23.
Northrop Grumman has a ship building facility in New Orleans...and this lastest ship to be built is called.....New Orleans (LPD 18).
media.primezone.com...

What kind of ship is that? It looks like a military ship that has not been put into service yet. Too bad it is already rusting (look at the stern).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join