It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Cuts Vacation Short to Handle Katrina

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
President Bush will be returning to Washington, D.C. two days earlier than planned to help coordinate federal recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina's strike on the Gulf Coast of the U.S. Portions of three states were devestated by the strong category 4 hurricane that hit just days ago.

www.foxnews.com
CORONADO, Calif. — President Bush will cut short his vacation to return to Washington on Wednesday, two days earlier than planned, to help monitor federal efforts to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina, the White House said Tuesday.

"We have got a lot of work to do," Bush said, referring to the damage wrought by the hurricane along Gulf Coast areas.

The president had been scheduled to return to the nation's capital on Friday, after spending more than four weeks operating from his ranch in Central Texas. But after receiving a briefing early Tuesday on the devastation Katrina unleashed, the president decided that he needed to be in Washington to personally oversee the federal effort, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad Bush is doing this...his father was harshly criticized for not personally handling the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew. I bet he's happy to get away from the Cindy Sheehan story though too...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Hurricane Katrina
TOP STORY: Hurricane Katrina Data & Resources Thread

[edit on 8/30/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yeah, it's nice to know that our leader is doing his job in a time of need. Listen closely because it doesn't happen often, but thumbs up towards Bush this time

Now I just wonder if theres any connection between this and the martial law being declared. (assuming it has been declared, I'm hearing conflicting reports now)

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Here is a link

www.wben.com...

Martial Law has been declared in parts of New Orleans as conditions continued to deteriorate

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Bush and his screaming monkeys (loosebowels, coulter, savage etc) will probably try and find soem way to blame katrina on senate democrats and liberals. he's probably just trying to get away from Cindy.

Or..

He's returning to Washington, D.C. two days earlier than planned to help coordinate federal recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina's strike on the Gulf Coast of the U.S. Portions of three states that were devestated by the strong category 4 hurricane that hit just days ago.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Bush and his screaming monkeys (loosebowels, coulter, savage etc) will probably try and find soem way to blame katrina on senate democrats and liberals. he's probably just trying to get away from Cindy.

Was that REALLY necessary?

So now it's just a plot to shift focus from Cindy Sheehan and blame Democrats?
More likely he is returning to Washington, D.C. two days earlier than planned to help coordinate federal recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina's strike on the Gulf Coast of the U.S. Portions of three states that were devestated by the strong category 4 hurricane that hit just days ago.

(Getting the hint through repitition yet?)

Anyway, people get tough on the vacation thing, but you do know he gets like a couple briefings a day, a couple meetings and signs only a few papers on vacation compared to a normal day? His "vacation" is nothing like one of ours...believe me.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Oops. I was trying to kill that and have a talk with Grover.

No off topic, derail, low brow, sniping and name calling in ATSNN Grover.

There's a big bad nasty warn just for that now, but it takes longer to research a poster in ATSNN threads. So you've been spared for now, but consider the grace period over.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
just to clarify, Martial Law has been declared for the city of New Orleans.

ive really changed in my opinion of bush recently, i understand now that he is a good man with good intentions. i just dont quite agree with everything he does. but im grateful that e is taking his own time to help us out in tis time of need
to the Bush-man

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Bush is doing what a president of this great nation in times of need should do.
I am not tipping my hat off to him at all. It is his duty to be taking care of this country from Washington DC.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
for Christ sake I was being scarcastic, not serious but considering some of the absurd things I have heard some like loosebowels, coulter, savage etc. blame on liberals and democrats.........need I say more?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
GOOD! He should return to D.C. This is major and he needs to be
on the phones to the international 'buddies' to get help and international
aid. HEY ... how about a BIG break on the cost of oil from Saudi Arabia!
Comeon' George .... call them from the hotline in the White House!!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
You can talk about allof thoes other things like the Tsunami and the Hurricane Katrina, but when it comes down to it, our president is the one who should get the break. I feel for him and how he has to deal with the rain occasionally, and possably even a rugged golf coarse. So affter that inspiring and motivational letter, dont you think that we should be sending our money to Bush instead of the red cross, awnestly. Wait, whats that? We allready send most of it to Bush? Well then prais!....

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
It's sad, but predictable, that Bush has compassion in the aftermath, when he lacked it previously. The White House is partly to blame for the disaster.

When you refuse to allocate funds, infrastructure crumbles, levvies break.

Why weren't they properly maintained and upgraded as they should have been? The White House didn't care before. Now they care, because it's too late to save lives, but it's never too late to promote your agenda and put forth a positive media image.

Somebody should have br ought a TV camera when LA was asking for money to fix the levvies. In the harsh glare of public scrutiny, this prick of a POTUS turns into a regular mudda' Theresa.

Politicians are as two-faced as they come. This one's a prime specimen. The vacation thing is really a sore spot for me too. He gets paid 6 figures a year, and gets to live in that sweet taxpayer funded residence, with all his taxpayer funded security and maids and whatnot, and the ungrateful bastard spends HALF his time on vacation! If I had that job, I would see it as my responsibility to give my utmost. I'd be drinking a lot of coffee, occasionally catching a nap in the oval office, bouncing, bleary-eyed from problem to problem, trying desperately to earn my keep, and earn the respect of the American people. This man is STEALING from the taxpayers, and getting away with it. Maybe he has a secret medical condition, or several, like JFK. Maybe he needs skin transplants to keep his scales from showing.
I have no idea.

The man is a joke, his administration is a joke, and his condolences should turn sour the instant they hit the ears of those effected by this tragedy. They needed him to help prevent the disaster by allocating funds to shoreline defense. He failed to help.

Now he's going to try to capitalize on the disaster, and put up this illusion of usefullness.

This president is about as useful to the American people as my cat is to my household. Entertainment value is just about the only justification I can come up with as to why I keep feeding the greedy little bastard. There's a limit, however, to the usefullness inherent in a creature that's solely entertaining.

My cat would comment, but like the POTUS, he's sleeping right now, blissfully unconcerned, safe, warm, protected. Like the POTUS, he doesn't really have to do anything to earn his keep. He just keeps running headlong into things, making me laugh, and I keep feeding him, partly out of a deep-seated protective instinct, and partly out of pity. I know he could never make it in the real world, so I act charitably. I don't think the taxpayers should ever be in this situation, which is unfortunate, because they most certainly are right now.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
lets not lose sight of the fact that he cut short his '5' week vacation by 2 days, and this is after he went to california to play country music star. Before going back to washington, he went back to texas to sneak another day of vacation in. He should have gone back to washington before the hurricane struck and had everything co-ordinated already.
As for his father, after hurricane andrew hit, within a day he had relief efforts coordinated and 25,000 national guardsmen mobilized.
he was criticized for not caring because of the remarks he made about the economy in general, not for his efforts toward hurricane relief

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It's sad, but predictable, that Bush has compassion in the aftermath, when he lacked it previously. The White House is partly to blame for the disaster.

Why weren't they properly maintained and upgraded as they should have been? The White House didn't care before. Now they care, because it's too late to save lives, but it's never too late to promote your agenda and put forth a positive media image.

I couldn't agree more...the BIG LIE that the conservative republicians push is that we can keep cutting taxes and it won't effect anything. Taxes are the price to pay to live where you do in the style you have become so accustomed. Even before Raygun's tax cuts in the 80's we were paying less than the citizens in any other industralized country and as a result of the OOOHHHH WE PAY TOO MUCH IN TAXES mantra, services and infrastructures are crumbling across the country and almost always the infrastructures that are beyond the ability of localities to maintain themselves. AND yes the republicians NEVER take responsiblity for the results of their own action and always find a way to blame somebosy else, like liberals and democrats and if people don't like that truth, screw em.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by grover]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I find it very telling that someone gets praised for doing their job. I think he did the right thing by cutting his vacation short, and would of chastised him if he didn't. But a question on a lot of people's minds was, "Would he?" I think that for people to even wonder if Katrina would be enough to get him out of Crawford shows his questionable character and priorities.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Then you have to blame the last 40 years of presidents, not just Bush.
It's been 40 years since the last biggie hit the New Orleans area.
Every one of those presidents, including 8 years of Clinton and
4 years of Carter, could have beefed up our infrastructure.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Then you have to blame the last 40 years of presidents, not just Bush.
It's been 40 years since the last biggie hit the New Orleans area.
Every one of those presidents, including 8 years of Clinton and
4 years of Carter, could have beefed up our infrastructure.

That is a false analogy because that is to assume that nothing has been done over the past 40 years and that simply is not true...standards were constantly being upgraded throughout the 60's and 70's all the way across the board nationwide, not just New Orleans and the gulf region...the standards today are far better than they were 40 years ago or the destruction would have been far, far worse. The point that wyrdone was trying to make and one I was attempting also was that you can't just spend the money once to build something be it an interstate, a building or a levy, you also have to spend the money to maintain it and that is where the failure to allocate funds comes in and teh Rupublicans have been slashing and slashing such funds for years now.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Taking time from vacation? The man takes more vacation time then any other president in history! Not to mention his afternoon nap. Pampered baby born with a silver spoon is all he is or will ever be. This man has never worked a real job in his dam life.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
fatali.servebeer.com...

This is a good one

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Am i missing some heroic act here or is it not his job for which we pay to protect us?
This goes without saying that a president, no matter who he is should be here working on our behalf. If he were half a world away playing golf with a bunch of underpriviledged midgets he'd have to bid them farewell and get over here. For the love of Pete, we pay the man.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join