It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Martial Law Declared in New Orleans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterCoyote
Latest report states that water is now running down Bourbon Street and getting deeper each minute.

According to my topographical mad leet skillz yo the levee break at the lake shouldn't have caused massive flooding due to a ridge in the metro area. This leads me to believe that the levee's on the Mississippi side have ruptured and are now equalising pressure.

Worst case scenario really.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Nerdling

I'm American and I hear ya. All I can say is that Americans are more conditioned than any other people on the planet. We're easily manipulated.

Let me throw something else out there. Maybe this hurricane was actually meant to distract us from something else that was taking place in that area of the gulf. Maybe something subsea. Look at the water levels, they're almost tsunami-like.

Just a thought.

Peace

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This link is from WWL TV. The mayor of New Orleans is briefing the reporters on the latest state of affairs in New Orleans. It is worse than the media is reporting.

www.wwltv.com.../082905mayor.wmv

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Picture of one of the levee breaks. Sorry about having to link it, but I don't know how to insert the graphic itself.

ak.imgfarm.com...

Picture of teh down town area. In the background is the Super Dome. Hihgway I-10 is the road from the Super Dome and running over the bridge in the foreground. The bridges have been declared NOT safe.

ak.imgfarm.com...

[edit on 8-30-2005 by MasterCoyote]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Aerial shot of Superdome area in Metro New Orleans.

Heres what I know...

Red Cross shelters in Western Tennessee are being activated now. FEMA camps are being readied out in Arizona and New Mexico.

There is NO WAY in or out of New Orleans.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
WWLTV Blog

11:53 - Two dead in Slidell in rising waters after attempting to get back to their homes. The victims had initially evacuated.

11:52 A.M. - Entergy reports 1.1 million outages in Mississippi and Louisiana.

11:50 A.M. JP Sheriff asking anyone with a boat to bring it to Sam's Parking lot on Airline and Cleary to help with evacuations.

11:46 A.M. - (AP) The president asked individual Americans to get involved with the relief effort, suggesting anyone who wishes to help could call 1-800-HELPNOW, log on to the Red Cross Web site or get in touch with the Salvation Army.

11:44 A.M. - LSU becoming a major staging area for injured and evacuees. Campus allowing families of students to house with them. Making facilities available as "community responsibility" according to Chancellor Sean O'Keefe.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I know New Orleans has a high water table to begin with, but this seems a little extreme, especially being on the "weak" side of the hurricane. I wonder what the situation is with all the above-ground cemetaries there? It could get messy.

Peace

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Got to love it.
Foxnews (tv) is now reporting that Martial Law has not been declared in New Orleans!
when they have a link on their website to this I will post it.
Is the gov't trying to backtrack on the take over?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Martial Law should be in place, I don't what is up with FOX or any officials, but this is the type of situation that usually requires Martial law, so that curfews can be enforced and looting can be contained.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Weird...I'm sure FOX didn't just make this up, I wonder what's going on...

This appears to be coming a more and more serious situtation in New Orleans though, I thought they dodged a bullet but it's looking like they didn't, it's just a more slow motion disaster.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
This is what confuses me about Americans.

You scream and thunder about the need for guns to fend off a tyrranical Government. Tell tales of lore about how you would go down in a fiery hail taking those evil troopers down as they try to put you under NWO under control.

Now there are combat boots descending upon New Orleans with the suspension of civil rights following in their wake and you do nothing but nod in acceptance and criticise those who have the gall to be a tiny bit worried.

This fear of utter chaos allows you to accept troops on the ground and that is a very dangerous thing.

combat boots? restricting civil rights? sence when is looting a civil right? when is profiting off the misfortune a civil right? i lived in st.loius when they had those massive floods back in the 90's and you know what the national guard did when there were called in? this might shock you paranoid peeps....THE HELPED FILL FREAKING SAND BAGS AND HELP CLEAN UP! the civil authoriteis alone cannot clean up and keep people from looting by themselves. what you fail to realize is that while the Nationalguard might be military...they are run by each state. just because they are soldiers doesnt mean they cant help there fellow citizen clean up after a massive natural disaster.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Just got off the phone with my family that lives in New Orleans. My aunt told me that when she left New Orleans on Saturday, people were literally thrown out of their house. There was absolutely no time to react or gather belongings.

Nearly 20 members of my family are staying in Texas to escape the disaster, most of them had absolutely no time to grab any extra clothing. They were, in all sense of the word, thrown out of their homes.

They said Martial Law was official declared today, I think it happened unofficially before that.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It's not really even clear now what the situation in New Orleans is, FOX seems to be backing off the claim that martial law has been imposed...I just think the military is being called out to help law enforcement, which is pretty unusual in the U.S., but certainly not unprecedented.

[edit on 8/30/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
i`ve heard a rumour that India AND China are preparing to send AID to the affected region

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
i`ve heard a rumour that India AND China are preparing to send AID to the affected region

Makes sense. I mean we've supplied Eastern Asia with hundreds of millions worth of funds during the Tsunami crisis of 2004.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thats true - but India rejected the AID and china wasn`t affected by the tsunami

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
For those of you getting hysterical about camps and so forth -- no, there's no plans to send folks anywhere. The government isn't going to convoy citizens to locations thousands of miles away to house them, and they're sure not going to give them bus tickets.

People will be going to stay with friends and relatives, however. I can assure you that our houses are *not* FEMA camps. Mine might be messy, but it's not a concentration camp or a refugee camp, either.

Here in the US, martial law is usually declared when there has been significant damage to a city and more than an ordinary police force is needed to control looting and other problems. Martial law was declared in Miami briefly last year after the hurricanes and in many other cities. Martial law was declared in South Florida after Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992... and so on and so forth.

It's kind of silly to get excited about the words "martial law" when they've been invoked dozens of times every year for a very long time in the US... and no groups of people have been rounded up and sent to any camps since WW II.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This situation is likely to get much worse before it gets better. Perhaps some don't know or maybe haven't thought about this but New Orleans is built in a flood plain for the MISSISSIPPI BASIN! There's a lot of moisture on it's way down the Mississippi right now headed for New Orleans. All the moisture that the hurricane dumped on the Mississippi basin is headed for this area and if the levees are ruptured along the Mississippi, the waters are going to continue to rise and rise and rise.

Humans deserve some credit in the magnitude of this disaster for destroying wetlands and all of the credit for building a city in a flood plain BELOW sea level. This was bound to happen sooner or later.
Please understand that I grieve for the tragedy that is the human condition and I do not mean to add insult to injury here, but I hope that from this experience people can start getting more informed and taking some ownership in their condition. If you build on floodplain, you will be flooded.

I honestly think they should abandon a good portion of this city and rebuild somewhere else. If global warming proves true in the up coming years, this may likely happen again.

Peace and prayers to those affected by this tragedy.

~Jammer+

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
thank you byrd
if ever there is a situation that calls for Martial Law, this is it!!!

Martial Law enables the govt to react properly to situations and prevent even further damage to property and people.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

So the "mandatory" evacuation that was issued before Katrina hit wasn't really mandatory? With the declaration of martial law it makes it a mandatory "mandatory" evacuation enforced by gun if needed. What if someone doesn't want to leave their house anyways? Do they shoot them?

Why declare martial law in this particular case? It seems to me it would cause more disorder than order.

Didn't read through all the pages, but Martial Law is pretty routine in natural disasters where looting can be a problem. Also, though evacuations are "mandatory" prior to storms, that doesn't mean they'll drag you out at gunpoint. However, with Martial Law, they can and will, especially if the area is a severe health/danger risk (and I'd imagine that days of standing water in downtown New Orleans fits the bill there, in addition to swamp critters swimming down Bourbon Street, hehe...
)

I don't think even most of the NWO crowd has a problem with using Martial Law in such cases as what we're seeing here....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join