It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Hate To Be A Kill Joy On The Subject Of Masons But...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimstradamus

With all the research that i havent done ive never seen or met a black mason

Famous black Masons:

1. Prince Hall (probably the first black Mason).
2. Louis Armstrong (jazz musician, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
3. Nat King Cole (singer, 32°, Shriner)
4. Thurgood Marshall (Supreme Court Justice, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
5. Duke Ellington (jazz musician, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
6. Count Basie (jazz musician, 32°, Shriner)
7. Rev. Jesse Jackson (civil rights activist, 32°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
8. Rev. Al Sharpton (civil rights activist, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
9. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (civil rights activist, Knight Templar, Shriner)
10. Reggie Jackson (baseball Hall of Fame, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Obviously I'm not a Mason, but my father was a 33rd Degree Mason/Shriner. He had me read books on Masonic principles, philosophy and rituals, this was before I had access to the internet. What I find absolutely hilarious, is all of the nonsense some people are regurgitating without doing any independent research of their own,they just believe what a supposed "authority" tells them. It's not like ones search is inhibited, considering there are books in the library that have been written by actual Freemasons. And with all the national, state/provincial Grand Lodges that have their own websites, that encourage people to contact them with questions, not to mention all of the Masons on this site. Example: If you want to learn about ,say, Egypt are you going to take the word of someone who wrote a book about it, even though they've never been, never experienced; or are you going to take the word of someone who has not only studied Egypt, but has also traveled there extensively, and has first hand information.
There is absolutely no reason to remain ignorant on the subject, except through willful deliberation.

I keep hearing satan, Satan, SATAN! My father was as far from a Satanist as you could possibly get, he was Baptist! Anyone calling a Mason a Satanist is insulting both the Masons and the Satanists.
Knowledge without understanding is ignorance to the 10th power. Because you have just enough information to have a distorted view of the truth, while lacking the Understanding to fully rpocess what has been shown.
Masons have a belief in a Benevolent Supreme Being who created All. It is a path of spiritual Surrender to gain Enlightenment. Real Satanists (not the sicko cultists who true Satanists find truly abhorrent and repulsive), generally speaking, fall under two catagories:

Atheistic Satanists> do not believe in any being but themselves, and see "Satan" as a guiding archetype to personal Power.

Spiritual Satanists> believe that Satan is the True God of Knowledge that Created All, and the God of the OT is a cruel, murderous deceiver, who blinds people from the truth. And that the way rise above the suffering in the World is to gain personal Power .

Either way a Satanists aim is to gain Power to make his/her own life better, and not worry about others, submission to any Higher Power is antithetical. In a very general sense, Satanists are egotistical hedonistswho midn their own business. (I'm not defending them just stating facts).

Freemasons, on the other hand, are charged to submitt themselves to a Higher Power, to better themselves, and come together in fraternal and loving brotherhood, in order to better the World, individually and as a group. (Also not defending, just stating facts).

Freemasonry and Satanism, couldn't be farther apart in Philosophy, and Belief.

I, myself, am a detached observer being neither a Satanist, nor a follower of Christianity, Judiasm or Islam, or a Mason. The only lable I can come up with
(since "Masons are Satanists" people are so into (falsely)labeling people) is Panentheistic Gnostic. If you don't know what that means, Look It Up! Although, I'm sure that, with very little effort, I will be called Satanic because I'm Pagan!

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

With all the research that i havent done ive never seen or met a black mason

Famous black Masons:

1. Prince Hall (probably the first black Mason).
2. Louis Armstrong (jazz musician, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
3. Nat King Cole (singer, 32°, Shriner)
4. Thurgood Marshall (Supreme Court Justice, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
5. Duke Ellington (jazz musician, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
6. Count Basie (jazz musician, 32°, Shriner)
7. Rev. Jesse Jackson (civil rights activist, 32°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
8. Rev. Al Sharpton (civil rights activist, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)
9. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (civil rights activist, Knight Templar, Shriner)
10. Reggie Jackson (baseball Hall of Fame, 33°, Knight Templar, Shriner)

Error,

Dr MLK NOT a 33, KT, or Shriner but was MOS after his dealth
Louis Armstrong, NOT a mason but was a member of the demolay
Rev Jesse Jackson NOT a 33 or KT or Shriner but is a MM
Reggie Jackson NOT a Mason
Nat King Cole NOT a 33, KT or Shriner but was initiated and raised to MM

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by African459

Error,

I took those from a PHA website. I'm not an expert on PHA history, but have found Armstrong listed in quite a few books as both a Scottish and York Rite Mason. Do you have verification on the above through another PHA website or book? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Error,

I took those from a PHA website. I'm not an expert on PHA history, but have found Armstrong listed in quite a few books as both a Scottish and York Rite Mason. Do you have verification on the above through another PHA website or book? Thanks.

"Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, one of the greatest jazz musicians to have ever lived, is listed on dozens of 'Famous Masons' lists online. On some, it is asserted that he was a member of Montgomery Lodge #18 in New York but there is no such lodge (including Prince Hall Grand Lodges) in New York. In his autobiography "Stachmo", Mr. Armstrong makes reference to his membership in the Knights of Pythias - another fraternal organization which engages in charitable and fraternal causes. (Source: Joseph Walkes, President of the Phylaxis Society). Mr. Armstrong is also shown in the excellent reference book, "Freemasonry: A Celebration of the Craft" but there is no further information on him there. Based on lack of evidence, it must be concluded that Mr. Armstrong was NOT a Mason. See also the website at www.freemasonry.bcy.ca... . Should you have more than hearsay information, do let us know."

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Also you can try this: www.masonicinfo.com...

Which list alot of other Non Masonic Family members who have been thought to have been fellows of the craft.

Bill Clinton, Bush Sr and Bush Jr and the list goes on its pretty impressive.

Some true Prince Hall Masons,

Bro. Dr. Ernest Everett Just - One of the founders of Omega Psi Phi and renowned zoologist
Bro. Richard Pryor - Comedian/ActorBenjiman Hooks
Bro. Daniel Hale Williams - First surgeon to perform open heart surgery
Bro. Jack Johnson - First Black heavyweight boxing champion in U.S
Bro. Thurgood Marshall - Former Associate Justice, U.S. Supreme Court

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Thanks, I'd also heard that Richard Pryor was a Mason, but had never seen it verified.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Thanks, I'd also heard that Richard Pryor was a Mason, but had never seen it verified.

Yes I have to look for it but I in my search for my lodges black history month program wanted to gather AA men who were among the craft. So in my findings I also found Lodge Names and Numbers as well..

Bro Smith, Junior Warden

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If you call my mother a whore i dont take offense because it's not true so why do you take offense to my comments that you point out are not well researched.For a group with nothing to hide you sure are defensive.

With all the research that i havent done ive never seen or met a black mason,with my mother being a whore i dont get out much so this must be a lack of knowledge on my part..im sure you'll let me know how wrong i am but if there is a black mason out there..shout out brutha.

[edit on 1-9-2005 by jimstradamus]

I am a African American Male and Also a Prince Hall Mason and Shriner. Did you have any questions for me?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

If you call my mother a whore i dont take offense because it's not true so why do you take offense to my comments that you point out are not well researched.For a group with nothing to hide you sure are defensive.

With all the research that i havent done ive never seen or met a black mason,with my mother being a whore i dont get out much so this must be a lack of knowledge on my part..im sure you'll let me know how wrong i am but if there is a black mason out there..shout out brutha.

Idiot...

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I am a African American Male and Also a Prince Hall Mason and Shriner. Did you have any questions for me?

I have a question for you my brother.....i have a friend of mine who is a prince hall mason from TN (we're up in Michigan now), i've invited him on numerous occasions to our lodge of F&AM. He usually just kinda go "eh" and that's the last i hear about it....i have AMAZING amount of respect for this man and believe he could add SOOOO much to our lodge. Do you have any idea why he woulndt want to show up?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123

I have a question for you my brother.....i have a friend of mine who is a prince hall mason from TN (we're up in Michigan now), i've invited him on numerous occasions to our lodge of F&AM. He usually just kinda go "eh" and that's the last i hear about it....i have AMAZING amount of respect for this man and believe he could add SOOOO much to our lodge. Do you have any idea why he woulndt want to show up?

Hail Brother!,

Please come see me beyond the tiled room we can discuss it there.

POTS,

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Sadly in a few southern states there are still rules against allowing Black bretheren to be initiated into the lodge. It goes back to the age of slavery and the requirement that all candidates be free born. It is archaic, and it is hypocritical and is a huge issue at the moment.

The problem is that technically any lodge that disregards this rule in theory could have it's charter taken by the state, a risk few are willing to take, though it is doubtful teh state lodges would push it that far, as it may backfire and allow the rules to be changed.

Ultimately this has to be changed at the state level. The real silly part is even in these states there are some black Masons in their lodges..(TN included).....but they had to be "raised" in outside states, and were accepted when they moved there. As a result there is tension between the PH lodges and the traditional blue lodges which is a regrettable and sad state of affairs.

Unfortunately the method of change at the state level is slow, and all it takes is a couple backwoods lodges refusing to change and they more or less hold the state back from eradicating these rules.

Those rules WILL change because most of us find in abhorrent and against the most basic tenents of freemasonry. I do not expect it to last the decade. We literally are having to wait until those that refuse to change simply "die" out.....

This is as frank a way as I know to put it...and more frank then can be said within the lodge.

The first mason i ever met was PH mason, he was a good man, and I still hope for a day when there can be reconciliation between our lodges.

As to the original post, I'd like to point out that new membership is on the rise in masonry all across the country....and it is thanks to this change that such "sins of the fathers" hopefully will be corrected.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ForkandSpoon

there is a rapid growth of brothers in lodge now day last year in 2007 we did a degree almost every Thursday for the entire year. Also there are a lot more younger masons like me joining as well

"this aint your gran-daddies lodge anymore"

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason
reply to post by ForkandSpoon

there is a rapid growth of brothers in lodge now day last year in 2007 we did a degree almost every Thursday for the entire year. Also there are a lot more younger masons like me joining as well

"this aint your gran-daddies lodge anymore"

We seem to be getting more candidates this year as well. Unfortunately we have a LOT of old dudes and more of them died than new people joined last year.

We have about 200 members and we are net -8 over the last year.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I too am an African American male and Prince Hall Mason, 22 years of age. Feel free to direct any inquiries this way.

Carey Wheaton Lodge #307
P.H.A.- F.&.A.M.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
What exactly is Prince Hall Lodge??

I have sat down with a Mason just last week, and learned all about Masonry because I am extremely interested in joining, But I have actually Heard of Prince Hall Lodge but I have no Idea what the difference is.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobhitmusic
What exactly is Prince Hall Lodge??

I have sat down with a Mason just last week, and learned all about Masonry because I am extremely interested in joining, But I have actually Heard of Prince Hall Lodge but I have no Idea what the difference is.

A Prince Hall lodge is a form of regular freemasonry which exists along side other regular lodges in the United States (the other regular lodges being Ancient Free and Accepted Masons/AFAM and Free and Accepted Masons/FAM). Historically, Prince Hall lodges exist because African Americans were not allowed to join AFAM and FAM lodges - and until about 50 years ago, Prince Hall was completely African American and AFAM and FAM was completely white in most states. Since then anyone has been able to join Prince Hall or AFAM/FAM regardless of race. Over the years, slowly Prince Hall and AFAM/FAM lodges have slowly begin recognizing each other as regular masonic lodges and co-exist within their jurisdictions. With the exception of a few states in the southeast of the US who continue to ignore Prince Hall's existence due to institutionalized racism, every other lodge recognizes them as valid and regular freemasonry.

I'd advise joining one based on how you like the lodge, as lodges are all different - as long as its AFAM, FAM, or Prince Hall you are joining regular freemasonry. Some lodges are more into masonic philosophy, some more charity oriented, etc. Choose one that fits you best. As long as its one of those 3, you're in the world of regular freemasonry.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by LowLevelMason]

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join