It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continued Conspiracy of Copyright Violation by Members

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Over the months I have quietly sent a few U2U's to members of the board advising them that images they use in their Avatars are legally copyrighted and therefore protected and restriced in use by the copyright owners.

I have been ignored by everyone of them.

Therefore I wish to point out Terms and Conditions rule number 6.

6.) You will not post any copyrighted material, material belonging to another person...

Now, how would you logically identify copyrighted imagery?

It is derived from Movies, Games, Books, published artworks and publicly known sources. Just because you purchase a movie or game for your use at home does not give you the right to use images from that product in other ways, it is a violation of International Copyright Laws. Are you a part of this conspiracy to violate the T&C? Are you a part of a conspiracy to violate International Law?

Look at your avatar, then decide.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If done seeking profit or gain I would agree, but when done for nothing more than representative purposes I don't see your point.

Legally "yeah/sorta"

Morally "no"

Just my opinion . . .

[edit on 28-8-2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
One big thing I learned about the Law, the only Opinions that matter are the Supreme Courts. So it can only be Violator or Good Netizen.

Note: I am on that property five days a week!

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
And what property would that be?

Please keep in mind that this is an international site and we don't all immediately recognize these things.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Several years ago, this legal issue was solved. Images such as discussion board avatars fall under "fair use" unless the image has been maliciously altered in a way to cause damage to the copyright holder.

The case law is from 1998 (or there about), and involved Disney taking legal action against some 20+ discussion board users.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Several years ago, this legal issue was solved.

*Snap Crackle Pop*
Thanks for the info Skeptic. Fair Use is a common practice among retailers as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Here's what I found:

"Fair Use" is not a right, it's merely a possible portion of defense in case you get sued. ... Link or not, you can still be sued for copyright violation.

Disney Case

Read it and consider.

It's the Los Angeles Federal Building!

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Chuck Stevenson]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I work in graphics the entire day and I don't know what to think when I see this kind of post on forums. I figure so long as people aren't turning a dollar on images or taking credit for someone elses graphic work, it's fine.

Or what should everyone buy a suite of graphics apps and learn them so they can post their own "Copyright" image for a forum avatar. That's a ludicrous idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nullster
I work in graphics the entire day and I don't know what to think when I see this kind of post on forums. I figure so long as people aren't turning a dollar on images or taking credit for someone elses graphic work, it's fine.

Or what should everyone buy a suite of graphics apps and learn them so they can post their own "Copyright" image for a forum avatar. That's a ludicrous idea.

I agree. If no one is doing it for a profit what's the big deal?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
As an ex-Napster and ex-Kazaa user, I guess I was quite the bandit. I didn't see it as 'wrong' because I was not making money from it, however there were those court cases against these that make me take a good hard look at copyright law and every EULA (user agreement for games and software) I came across. After clearing the pirate booty by deletion and CD-R destruction, I began purchasing a lot of those that I used. A lot of it was from E-bay, then got to thinking, isn't that illegal for software? Indeed it is! You cannot own the software, just purchase a license and if that license was not purchased by a licensed vendor, then you are a:

Oops! Was the picture above copywritten and I violated by posting here? I'm going to say no, because I inserted an image that is already publically accessible by the website found under the properties when you right click on it. In other words, if you want the original, it's a click away and the originator gets the props. It does not have my signature, does not say it is mine, nor modified to fit your tv screen.

Music CD's seem to have a different rule. There you're actually buying the CD, so to resale on E-bay, yardsale, seems to be within the guidelines. By the way, don't quote me because what I've written here is copywritten and you need my permission first (you no longer need an official copyright logo, just needs to be an original).

Chuck, I think you're on to something in saying there's a conspiracy. Just because everyone speeds on the interstate, does that mean it's not illegal? Of course not, the law is the law and as a state judge once told me, "obey the law" *thump went the gavel*. Anything I'd said made no difference.

I'd like to hear more about it since I'm just a literal layman with not more than college English to base these conclusions.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nullster

Erm...it's not as ludicrous as people thinking they somehow have the right to borrow and/or steal as they wish just because they can't afford their own, surely?

Though avatars aren't a huge drain on resources, energy or any other really tangible entity, the principle behind Chuck's initial post remains the same, and retains validity.

If people don't mind their graphics being used, that's great! But not every artist shares that thought.

Nullster, what you're essentially saying is you're fine with the premise of:

"I don't have/can't afford a graphics program, so I'm just going to use someone else's work without their permission".

That's what I'm getting from it...am I mistaken?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Thank you Mr Stevenson for your self imposed ethical issue. I will take what you have written into great consideration when choosing whatever avatar I use in the future.

Believe me when I say that I spend nights awake staring at the ceiling worried that I have broken copyright by using someone elses picture.

Whilst I appreciate your concern in this matter may I suggest that you turn your weighty brain to more pressing issues in the world, such as how to peal those little stickers off the apples from the supermarket, or what do do with all the plastic bread ties that gather on the kitchen window sill. I await your informed and intelligent posts to these pressing topics.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Suppose why take the chance? If there are Members of this great site and their using copyrighted material..my goodness why not just find or ivent something without a copyright stamp?

It's just safer that way isn't it?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

Whilst I appreciate your concern in this matter may I suggest that you turn your weighty brain to more pressing issues in the world, such as how to peal those little stickers off the apples from the supermarket, or what do do with all the plastic bread ties that gather on the kitchen window sill. I await your informed and intelligent posts to these pressing topics.

You know....I knew there was a conspiracy here.

Admit it, Netchicken. You're the one who forces those horrid metally ties around those innocent plastic bread baggies with no mercy whatsoever, aren't you?!
It's YOU!

How much do you pay your peons for stickin on those sticky..sticker..things anyway? Hmmmm? (and are there any job openings?)

Sorry. Jes trying to lighten it up a smidge.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think Chuck Stevenson needs to get a hobby or get laid. Who the hell cares what pics people are using for their avatars? If I use a Miami Dolphins logo, since I'm a Dolphins fan, which is copyrighted- am I committing a crime? Don't they want me to use their logo as a promotion?

I just think this whole notion is a joke. You're the kid who got picked on in school. You're the one who told the teacher that kids were smoking in the bathroom. You really need to find something better to do...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I guess I'm an evil bandit hijacking Disney material with my avatar...Can you possibly imagine how much money I've made from it

[edit on 8/29/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My avatar is copyrighted, albeit by NASA and gov.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Here's an even clear..er..er stand on my take on graphics and avatars.
If I post copies of my original art work on the Internet, I had better presume that someone at some time is going to right click "save as" if they like it. If I don't believe that, I'm daft. Just as if I left the door to my car to my car running with the keys in the ignition in a public place. If I want to keep my works out of the hands/drives of others, I'll only post on a protected site, which I also know can be circumvented. As an 3D artist, hiding is not my objective.

So OK...here's where I draw the line
    An artists takes my work and modifies it to use in their artwork and takes credit without permission or due credit.
    Someone uses my work in a way I find malicious or offensive.
    Someone uses my work to for commercial, financial gain, and/or profit.

By engaging in any of the above, one crosses the Copyright line. Most major studios will go after someone especially if there is an image they want to protect or a money is being made without a proper license.

Beyond that, I feel that there are far more people with less time to create original material for themselves. To even remotely consider someone who uses images for an Avatar a pirate...good gawd yawl.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
How much do you pay your peons for stickin on those sticky..sticker..things anyway? Hmmmm? (and are there any job openings?)

When you remove those stickers off the apples, therein lies a hole in the apple. Inside this hole is a pocket of nerve gas, which is released in small amounts. The more apples you eat, the more neurological damage you receive. Those frickin' farmers don't know when to stop.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Alas, I am in danger.

Danger of ...... hmm.

No comment.

I guess we shouldnt post article sources either. Whats the difference.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join