It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Brains can wear out, leading to Dementia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
MS - rats - no time. Was thinking of a particular article - but no time to sort, find it. Sorry. The full text of the one I mean is available online - it reviews apoptosis in lengthy text. ...James is a cardiologist, previously with the WHO - and has done great work - he's retired now, I think.

Results 1 - 10 of about 165 for +"James, TN" +apoptosis +PubMed. (0.44 seconds)

Normal and abnormal consequences of apoptosis in the human heart ...
Apoptosis and necrosis are two distinctly different forms of cell death and both
... James TN. Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7974966&dopt=Abstract - Similar pages

Apoptosis in congenital heart disease.
1997 Oct;8(10):599-616. Apoptosis in congenital heart disease. James TN.
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston 77555-0129, ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9457442&dopt=Abstract - Similar pages

Apoptosis as a Possible Cause of Gradual Development of Complete ...
PubMed. PubMed Citation · Articles by James, TN · Articles by Lohr, TO ...
Clinical implications of apoptosis in hypertensive heart disease ...
circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/93/7/1424 - Similar pages

Normal and abnormal consequences of apoptosis in the human heart ...
PubMed. PubMed Citation · Articles by James, TN ... Apoptosis and necrosis are
two distinctly different forms of cell death, and both occur in the human ...
circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/circulationaha;90/1/556 - Similar pages
[ More results from circ.ahajournals.org ]

British Journal of Pharmacology - Prenatal coc aine exposure ...
JAMES TN (1998) Normal and abnormal consequences of apoptosis in the human heart.
... PubMed | ChemPort |; THOMPSON CB (1995) Apoptosis in the pathogenesis ...
www.nature.com/bjp/journal/v144/n7/full/0706129a.html - Similar pages

breast cancer research | Full text | Acid Phosphatase Activity in ...
Yamamoto S, Sawada K, Shimomura H, Kawamura K, James TN: On the nature of ...
Lipponen P, Aaltomaa S, Kosma VM, Syrjanen K: Apoptosis in breast cancer as ...
breast-cancer-research.com/content/3/2/E002 - Similar pages

breast cancer research | Full text | Acid Phosphatase Activity in ...
Apoptosis could represent a barrier to the progression of invasive cancer [26,
... Yamamoto S, Sawada K, Shimomura H, Kawamura K, James TN: On the nature of ...
breast-cancer-research.com/content/3/2/e002 - Similar pages

Blackwell Synergy: Echocardiography, Vol 22, Issue 5, pp. 415-420 ...
Apoptosis cells were detected with TUNEL (in situ terminal deoxynucleotidyl ...
James TN: Congenital disorders of cardiac rhythm and conduction. ...
www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1540-8175.2005.04035.x - Similar pages

Entrez PubMed
... Abstract, Cardiocytic apoptosis and capillary endothelial swelling as morphological
evidence of myocardial ischemia ... PMID: 11917196 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE ...
www.eurheartj.org/cgi/external_ref?access_num=11428855&link_type=MED_NBRS - Supplemental Result - Similar pages

Prof. Ferdinando Radice, Università di Milano - [ Translate this page ]
Apoptosis in cardiac conduction system in sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS):
preliminary ... Ottaviani G., Matturri L., Lavezzi AM, Rossi L., James TN. ...
users.unimi.it/~pathol/istituto/radice.html - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
While there seems to be a lot of tossing of the medical jargon, I fail to see the connection between apoptosis, daydreaming, and how they relate to Alzheimer's. If daydreaming causes Alzheimer's I would think that the numbers of those afflicted would be overwhelming. Not to mention that I have always been led to believe that you should use your brain or lose it. The original posting seems to indicate that you could wear out portions of your brain. Does this mean that some day mathmeticians will no longer be able to count, poets will lose the ability to comprehend laguage?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Someone Who Is Apparently Not Suffering From Alzheimer's

Originally posted by IndigenousDave
The original posting seems to indicate that you could wear out portions of your brain. Does this mean that some day mathmeticians will no longer be able to count, poets will lose the ability to comprehend laguage?

Damn you and your Vulcan logic!

Yes, I think some skepticism on premature conclusions regarding what all this means is in order.

Still, we can daydream about it...

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It's very important because of research being done in regenerative medicine. What would happen if people can live 150 years and we can regenerate every part of the body...except the brain, well it wouldn't be fun to have a perfectly able body but little brains to actually use it.

It seems the brain is purposely slow in self-replicating probably due to it's memory retaining abilities is tied to how long it takes to regen a brain cell. If we regenerate our brain completely, we risk wiping our memory out, sort of like formatting your harddrive on your computer. Now if we use our brain more since our brain can't regenerate itself, then it's common sense to hypothesis that that more use would wear it out faster not less use(eg "Day Dreaming")

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Yes, I think some skepticism on premature conclusions regarding what all this means is in order.

Absolutely. And I would like to stress that conclusions are not necassarily being presented. Conditions and possibilities and probably a base understanding (on my part) of neurological function....which won't stop me from continuing..

Alot of what I write is based on my extrapolation.....which is why I invite response...so that I might encounter other perspectives. The exact reason I frequent ATS, by the way, to find someone who will tell me I missed a point and thusly sending me into a different direction...

Indigenous Dave

Originally posted by IndigenousDave
While there seems to be a lot of tossing of the medical jargon, I fail to see the connection between apoptosis, daydreaming, and how they relate to Alzheimer's.

I think that there is......the reasoning is potently mine and my difficulty in expression and the nature of the connection is probably why it seems a bit off.....

The reasoning is this....daydreaming is solely based on memory. In order to daydream, you are rrecalling your experiences and re-experiencing them on a fanciful basis...which would thus negate any response/attenuation to outside stimulii and the continued excerise of the analytical/evolved intelligent protions of our brains. And if daydreaming occurred on a dominant basis, the rest of the brain could be interpretated (on a physical/cellular level) as unneccassary. Which could create a condition for apoptosis to occur...on a generational scale. It's actually becoming a base reference point in my quest to understand social the implications of social-engineering.

Alzhiemer's is the degradation of the brian in the realms of memory, and thusly, it warrants attention.

If daydreaming causes Alzheimer's I would think that the numbers of those afflicted would be overwhelming.

Think the corrolation of lower intelligence and the lack of anything to do back in the day when society was still prior to what could be considered even pre-modern society. Alot of repetition and repetition allows for a physical action to be integrated as long-term memory...which allows for day dreaming to occur even in periods of action..

Does this mean that some day mathmeticians will no longer be able to count, poets will lose the ability to comprehend laguage?

No. Not even remotely. The axiom 'use it or lose it' really does apply. In order for memory to be a valid goto source it has to constantly be updated.

soficrow

Thanks...

[edit on 6-9-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thank you for clearing that up, MemoryShock. I was having trouble making the connections. It only worries me because I love to daydream. Sometimes there is nothing better than to zone out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join