It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Brains can wear out, leading to Dementia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The Journal of NeuroScience is publishing a report on a study this week regarding a relationship found with inactivity and Alzhiemers. The study took brain scans of young adults who were tasked with...nothing. The findings showed that the region of the brain 'active' during periods of inactivity are concurrently damaged in Alzhiemers patients.

www.newsday.com
Scientists have scanned the brains of young people when they are doing, well, nothing, and they found that a region active during this daydreaming state is the one hard-hit by the scourge of old age: Alzheimer's.

"We never expected to see this," said Randy L. Buckner, a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator at Washington University in St. Louis. He said he suspects these activity patterns may, over decades of daily use, wear down the brain, sparking a chemical cascade that results in the disease's classic deposits and tangles that damage the brain.

The regions identified are active when people daydream or think to themselves, Buckner said. When these regions are damaged, an older person may not be able to access the thoughts to follow through on an action, or even make sense of a string of thoughts. The study appears this week in the Journal of Neuroscience.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet more clinical proof of what seems to be common sense.....

The brain is a very active organ, even in times of inactivity. During sleep, the brain is a wonderful slew of activity as it 'downloads' short-term memory into long-term memory. The human brain is always active because the body is always encountering a stimulus regardless of whether or not you pay consciously attenuate to it. It would seem that if the brain isn't constantly appealed to on different levels, it will wear itself down on the levels that it is alotted.

The corrolation between mental acuteness and Alzhiemers isn't new and the overwhelming data seems to suggest that mental exercise is just as important a concern as physical.....and there is the conspiratorial slant......the routine encouraged by our current society doesn't allow for much else past 'ingestion of information......

(Rewrote the title - NC)

[edit on 27-8-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I question the scientific method used in this study - what does this say about monks who focus intently on simple breathing or nothingness over a long period of time, pushing thoughts out of their brains before the thoughts are completed? I am not aware of an abundance of Eastern meditation practitioners having Alzheimer's in their old age.

Zip

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Focused Inattention

Originally posted by Zipdot
I question the scientific method used in this study - what does this say about monks who focus intently on simple breathing or nothingness over a long period of time, pushing thoughts out of their brains before the thoughts are completed?

Well, nothing, actually, for the reason I bolded in your quote.

Meditation is not the same as idleness.

The task of clearing one's mind is still a task, and is, in fact, much more difficult than letting one's mind become filled up with all the things others seek to pour into it.

This is an interesting story, and may well lead somewhere important, but I suspect there's much more to be learned about both Alzheimer's and the human brain.

But I can daydream, can't I?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Zipdot.......Daydreaming....which is the assumed task during the 'periods of inactivity'....is much more aimless than meditating upon specific concepts/ideals/mental tasks. Interestingly enough, I have run across material that suggested that the whole clearing of your mind excercise prominentg in many yoga and pseudo meditative classes is a damaging mental exercise in that you are actually training your brain to be unresponsive in the face of bearing stimulii....kind of like a mild dissociative inclination that can snowball and result in lack of critical thinking in situations where it would be called for and allowing your bodyto become a purely reactionary unit. Seems logical to me......if you're thinking of nothing then most likely your bodily reaction will concur.......

Originally posted by Majic
The task of clearing one's mind is still a task, and is, in fact, much more difficult than letting one's mind become filled up with all the things others seek to pour into it.

Precisely. And that is what I meant in the closing paragraph.....society in the form of commercials, T.V., movies, 3 minute pop songs, and 8 hour routines that incorporate the same set of stimulii every day for years encourages lack attenuation to other areas of the brain, thusly allowing for a lack of cross genre identification...much less interaction.

This site propagates a motto, "Deny Ignorance," but in my opinion there are many people on this domain that lack the understanding of what exactly causes ignorance. Getting caught up in the razzle dazzle that is our pop culture and offsetting it with only 8 hour segmented periods of time that most likely include an easily stagnated regimen is a very easy way to do it.

I'm not even saying society and its current incarnation is the problem....quite the opposite. I'm implicating the inclination of our population to attenuate to wjat they are presented with, rather than actually taking a look beyond "Must-See T.V." and determining what they have to say about anything.

Originally posted by Majic
This is an interesting story, and may well lead somewhere important, but I suspect there's much more to be learned about both Alzheimer's and the human brain.

I thought this was an interesting story as well, but maybe for different reasons. You see, I believe that it logically follows that an idle brain will deteriorate. This is common sense bottled up as a scientific study......no reference to the technical names of the brain, no identification of the chemical components, etc. Just a straight forward expression of, for all intents and purposes, common sense without any real illumination.

The irony is that the very theme expressed by the news piece is actually being indirectly encouraged.

And what I see here is a scientific study that doesn't actually say anything, rather it exists as filler imploring people to do something when realistically all that the majority of people know how to do is spend money.....you see where I'm attempting to go here? Many people on this site have ill to say about the media and there association with government motivations.....not saying it follows necassarily, but if the conspiracy is truly omniprescent then we have to look beyond the buzzwords (Alzhiemers) and look at what is being presented.....

[edit on 26-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 26-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well so long as I'm with ATS I don't need to worry about brain inactivity. I'm so addicted to this place I even think about what I'm going to say and talk about during my spare time off of ATS.

Either way it seems to make sense. Muscles get weak if you don't use them, I'd be suprised if the brain didn't work the same way.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Either all you guys have got the wrong end of the stick on this article or I have. I tend to side with myself

From my reading this article is NOT saying idle minds lead to dementia - like muscles atrophing.

What it IS saying is this:

The parts of the mind that are ACTIVE during times of doing nothing, when the motor is running and nothing is in gear, are the SAME parts that wear out first in Dementia.

What the implication are is ... The bits of your mind that never shut down, actually wear out.

So your brain can wear out in certian areas and stop functioning.

a region active during this daydreaming state is the one hard-hit by the scourge of old age: Alzheimer's

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm with NetC on this one.

Also, seems to me the 'daydreaming' function is like RAM, need it to make the rest hang together.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Being that my mind seems to never completly shut down, even when I am just relaxing my mind is always going with random ideas, and especially daydreams, then this is really good news for me.

That is if it's true... My Dad has alzeihmer's along with some other family members, and I really don't want to ever get it. So any thing that I can do in the present that may help my likelihood of coming down with it decrease then I am more than happy to try it. From most of the studies that I have come across that have been released I already do most of the things that they suggest to try and stave off this diesease. Since I already have an active mind that often continues into my sleep, my dreams tend to get very interesting and creative, hopefully this will get added to help keep my brain active and functioning at its current mental capacity for a long time into the future (or hopefully improve it).

Too bad nothings a sure thing, as genetics may get in the way.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I find it kind of hard to believe that everybody who has Alzeheimer's disease is now suddenly implicated to have been some kind of lazy daydreamer who never engaged himself intellectually in his youth.

All I'm seeing in the study is that the parts of the brain that are limited by Alzheimer's are useful and important parts. I don't think there's enough to show a true connection between Alzheimer's and mental listlessness or MemoryShock's depiction of modern convenience and culture as some kind of mind killer. However, between Shock and Netchicken's perspectives, I would rather hope that Shock was correct, so at least we have a chance to avoid Alzheimer's.

The regions identified are active when people ... think to themselves.

Uh huh.

He followed 678 nuns, ranging in age from 75 to 107, and analyzed journal entries and essays written when they joined the order as young women. He identified an association between the writing and the risk for Alzheimer's far into the future. The richer the detail in the essays, the less likely the writers were to develop Alzheimer's.

This is an interesting connection, but I still don't see a causal relationship.

Zip

[edit on 8/27/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetChicken
Either all you guys have got the wrong end of the stick on this article or I have. I tend to side with myself..[snip]..The parts of the mind that are ACTIVE during times of doing nothing, when the motor is running and nothing is in gear, are the SAME parts that wear out first in Dementia.

You got it....I placed a similar statement in my closing paragraph/initial post....

Originally posted by MemoryShock
It would seem that if the brain isn't constantly appealed to on different levels, it will wear itself down on the levels that it is alotted.

Originally posted by NetChicken
What the implication are is ... The bits of your mind that never shut down, actually wear out.

The implication is actually multi-faceted. Consider what happens to the other regions of the brain (excepted are the regions that moderate autonomous function) while the 'inactive regions' are prominent......they do nothing as well. Which means no exercise. Which means no stimulation and subsequent attenuation.

The human body and mind operate on desire. If inactivity is encouraged throughout society.....theta states induced by T.V. and movies....then the brain and body will be less likely to operate with activity...in this case abstract and constructive thought....in any other event. It's conditioning by omission.....granted the intricacy of our society and the many levels of attenuation do not make for an absolute to be asserted, but a majority of our population would fall in this category....implicitly communicated by advertising budgets (they wouldn't spend the money if it awsn't effective).

To offer a more technical explanation of what I am discussing.....here is a quick review of what exactly apoptosis is..

Apoptosis

For every cell, there is a time to live and a time to die.
There are two ways in which cells die:
They are killed by injurious agents.
They are induced to commit suicide.

users.rcn.com...

Induced to commit suicide. What this means is that in order for an organism to survive and function according to its inclination, biological resources have to be diverted to the most prominently used aspects of the body. This follows through with the brain as well. Due to the complexity of the brain, many people do not take the time to understand the nature of it's reactions. It is constantly acting and reacting with accordance to its environment. If the environment calls for a non-responsive demeanor, then the brain will continue to react and even redirect physical resource to this effect....even on a 'mental' level.

In my opinion, this is evolution in application....just expressed in subtle differences because the primary human interactions are social through sight and sound...it's how the mind and body interact to satisfy its' social interests....

I would also like to note that dementia is not a static condition across the board. Different for everyone and with many levels of intensity.....which is why I believe a discussion of this nature is relevant....if static concerns cause for regionalized depreciation, then constructive discussion on broad spectrum topics will counteract......a reason why ATS is an excellent website......

Originally posted by ZipDot
I find it kind of hard to believe that everybody who has Alzeheimer's disease is now suddenly implicated to have been some kind of lazy daydreamer who never engaged himself intellectually in his youth.

That is not the implicatioon. At all. Also consider that Alzheimers has many contributing factors. The corrolation being made in this news piece is actually more suggestive of the need for brain activity for all around wellness......

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Good post MS, and nice response above. Thanks.

Re: cause of Alzheimers, apoptosis. ...My understanding is that Alzheimer's is linked to misfolded proteins, if not prions. Cells taken over by misfolded proteins or prions tend to be exceptionally long lived, if not immortal. However, if apoptosis can be induced, then healthy cells may have an opportunity to repopulate tissue. The wonky proteins will revert to the healthy confirmation if outnumbered (because they morph on direct contact). ...So it seems that an active brain is best positioned take advantage of such "windows of opportunity."

...Your take?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Re: cause of Alzheimer’s, apoptosis. ...My understanding is that Alzheimer's is linked to misfolded proteins, if not prions.

I haven’t actually been trying to relate Alzheimer’s directly with the function of Apoptosis……Alzheimer’s is a degenerative disease that is initiated, most likely by environmental factors, even where their have been associations made to genetics. For the reason that genetics are influenced by the environment. The interesting note about apoptosis is that it is induced suicide via genetic programming. This means that the particular cell has a cumulative genetic memory (DNA) that has filed its history and usage with correlation to the overall function of the organism. Apoptosis is pretty much a biological process that rids the body of superfluous materials as determined by genetic history……as I stated, evolution in application…. on a neuronal level. The attenuation of an individual will dictate subsequent cellular concentration…..

Originally postyed by soficrow
Cells taken over by misfolded proteins or prions tend to be exceptionally long lived, if not immortal. However, if apoptosis can be induced, then healthy cells may have an opportunity to repopulate tissue.

Cells with misfolded proteins are long lived because their very nature negates them any actual function…..meaning that the only energy they expel is mostly for the purpose of reproduction. They do not add to the function of the organism, yet they ingest the resource provided by the body…..cellular moochers, if you will…..

Inducing apoptosis in these cells is an interesting proposition….I’m glad you mentioned it…..I am unaware of any applications in this area, but I will do some research in this regard…

The capacity to provoke apoptosis intentionally on specific maladjusted mutations would be a coup…..

The wonky proteins will revert to the healthy confirmation if outnumbered (because they morph on direct contact). ...So it seems that an active brain is best positioned take advantage of such "windows of opportunity."

An active brain is conducive to the propagation of healthy cells. A healthy and directed brain is conducive to the propagation and maintenance of healthy cells. Without getting into a side bar on mental attenuation/ biofeedback exercises on a subtle level with regards to the physical manifestation and interaction on a cellular level (which I would like to do!), an active mind that is intentionally doing so, in most cases, enjoys the wide range of exercise. What this brings to the playing field is the effect basic neurotransmitters/endorphins/hormones have on the overall physiology…..kind of like saying being happy is healthier than being sad. What a fundamental and yet intangible statement in this discussion but the implication and relevance is immense…….

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Horsepucky. This "study" is not a study at all, it's speculation by some neurosurgeon trying to get something published. The conclusion would require that brain cells remain alive into old age and not be replaced like all the other cells of our body.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Horsepucky.

Eloquent.....

May I ask if the above term is directed towards the study soley or does it include the discussion as well? Seems implied, yet I would like clarification....

This "study" is not a study at all, it's speculation by some neurosurgeon trying to get something published.

I agree with you to some extent here. This isn't a viable study for the scientific world/neurologists, etc. They are far beyond this type of reasoning. Cultures can be had and observed directly, cellular relationships can be determined, etc, but what this 'study' does accomplish is a kind of social awareness.....it really is re-stating common sense with scientific buzzwords....to communicate credibility to those who aren't versed in the language.....

Astronomer68
The conclusion would require that brain cells remain alive into old age and not be replaced like all the other cells of our body.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons for Alzhiemer's is not necassarily celllular death and deterioration.....but widespread cellular death and deterioration. This means that the rate of cellular degradation is far outpacing the response of healthy cells. Like the law of exponential growth....once you reach a certain point the numbers are just going to increase at an astonishing rate....one of the reasons why early diagnosis and prevention are so important....

You may be surprised to learn that the conclusion you presented above has been commonly held for much of the scientific era. Only recently have we been able to demonstrate that a process termed neurogenesis occurs in the hypothalamus region of the brain (learning and memory associated).

Throughout history, neuroscientists have commonly believed that once the brain is damaged, there is no way to repair it. However, in the past few years, scientists have discovered that the brain does change throughout life, and can possibly repair itself as well as be enhanced by healthy activities including exercise and proper nutrition.

neurogenesis.iord.org...

It's a good link for an introduction to neurogenesis.....the implications and applications are far beyond what is expressed in the site, but foundation is necassary.....

[edit on 28-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Our brains deteriorate due to sexual degeneration, because we foolishly waste the priceless energy of the Third Logos.

The Transmutation of Sexual Energy

...Now from the point of view of sexual transmutation, I want to tell you that the sexual hormones (active in the blood, charged with electricity and magnetism) produce mitosis in the adult human organism: new splitting of cells, formation of new tissues, etc. This is how you can achieve - from a biological standpoint - a complete regeneration or rejuvenation of the human organism.

What is the difference, for example, between the young “new waves” and the antiquated and retardant old people? One: a young man’s third testicular layer produces large amounts of sexual hormones, lots of zoosperms. All these zoosperms, transformed into hormones, go to the brain and renew it. That is why young people have a revolutionary way of thinking and open up to what is new, etc. On the other hand, the poor old men who have already wasted the Sacred Sperm, who have deteriorated through sexual abuse, are really ruined: the third testicular layer now produces very few zoosperms. Quite often it takes them days and months to have enough zoosperms to achieve a simple erection. And of course, when they manage to achieve an erection, they immediately seek the coitus and eliminate these zoosperms. They spend days, a month, or more, accumulating new zoosperms; once they have them, they immediately waste them (for the passionate satisfaction of a moment), and that is how they spend their lives, till they die.

Since they do not have what produces great amounts of zoosperms, the third testicular layer gradually becomes totally atrophied. It produces its cells or hormones, but due to its atrophy these cannot pass on to another stage. Then there may even appear certain inflammations and swellings between the second and the third layers and, worst of all, this logically comes to affect the prostate. Those poor, degenerated old men always have their prostates operated on because of their abuses. This is clear and I want you to understand it specifically and definitely.

So, since their third testicular layer is not producing enough zoosperms, the poor old men do not have new ideas, because their brain cells are atrophied and certain areas are not working. They become stuck in what they learned in the past, and turn into old-fashioned people who do not accept anything new; they continue with their ancient ideas from yesterday, dated and clumsy.

Obviously, they clash with young people, because the young ones are producing new zoosperms and so they have new ideas and open up to what is new; then comes the clash between what is new and what is old. That is then the difference between young people of “the new wave” and old people: it is wholly a sexual, biological difference. Understand that clearly.

What there may still be left for me to say, here in this talk, is how one can turn the sperm into energy. It will be my pleasure to explain to you a singular, very special craft that medieval alchemists used to teach to their disciples.

The artful device I am going to teach you was also taught by different scientists, such as Brown-Séquard in the United States.

Dr. Krumm-Heller, colonel-physician in our glorious Mexican Army, taught it too, and so did Carl Jung. It is also taught by the Asiatic schools of Eastern Tantrism...

PEACE

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Memoryshock - A quick addendum and response.

Run a search on US patent applications with the terms "+Alzheimers +fibromuscular dysplasia"

Also, review T.N. James' work on apoptosis.

RE: proteins morphing on direct contact. Is both the rationale and mechanism of stem cell therapy.

RE: environment and genetics. Methinks you may be propagating the myth that says phenotypic = genetic. ...The genetic myth is based on the mistaken assumption that only genes can govern protein production/creation/conformation. Wrong. Many common industrial and other practises create misfolded proteins, which become infectious prions, and then, affect protein production in living cells.

RE: mental control of cellular and other bodily functions. Absolutely possible IMO. Unfortunately, in today's biochemical environment, one needs to spend an increasingly inordinate amount of time to neutralize contaminations. Sometimes, that battle requires too much time.

...Oh for more time. We could have a good discussion.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The Transmutation of Sexual Energy

Dr. Krumm-Heller, colonel-physician in our glorious Mexican Army, taught it too, and so did Carl Jung. It is also taught by the Asiatic schools of Eastern Tantrism...

...It is not something I have made up, by myself and for myself: I have learned it from all those sages and I, in turn, pass it on to you, but not as something to be blindly believed, or as an unshakable dogma. Accept it if you want, or do not accept it if you do not want to. Many schools have accepted it and many have rejected it. All people are free to think as they wish and I am only giving you my humble opinion.

Dr. Krumm-Heller used to give the formula in Latin. He would say, “Inmisium membrum virilin vaginae femina, sine ejaculatium seminus.” In synthesis, we would define that craft as follows: “lingum-yoni connection without ever spilling the ens seminus.” What should one understand by “lingam?” The male sexual organ, the Greek “phallus.” What do we understand by “yoni?” The sexual organ of women. So, therefore, the key lies in the union of the lingam-yoni, but without ejaculating the Entity of the Semen.

Some modern scientists have accepted it; the Oneida Community, in the United States, experimented with that formula. See what they did in the Oneida Community: about 25 couples, man and woman, set themselves to work on sex; they were instructed to copulate over a period of time, but without ejaculating the Entity of the Semen, and clinical studies were made about them afterwards in the United States.

Complete semination of the brain was observed, together with an increase of the hormones in the blood, overall improvement of the organism, strengthening of the sexual power, and so on; and many conditions disappeared. Deciding that conception of children was necessary, scientists would give the Community freedom to copulate with seminal ejaculation; thus they achieved reproduction. Many experiments in this fashion were made in the Oneida Community.

In any case, what is interesting about this artful device - the Secretum Secretorum of medieval alchemists - is that the sexual glands do not end up degenerating. We have already said that when the sexual glands degenerate, all the glands of internal secretion degenerate, too; the whole nervous system goes through processes of degeneration, then comes decrepitude and death...

However, by means of this fine craft, the lingam-yoni connection without ejaculation of the Ens-Seminis (as described by the famous physicians Arnold Krumm-Heller and Brown-Séquard), it is then possible to preserve the activity of the sexual glands one’s whole life through.

This means that a man who practiced such a system would reach the age of 90 and 100 years still able to copulate and free to enjoy the sexual pleasure, which is not a “sin,” or a taboo, and must not be a motive for shame or something to be hidden, but is - I repeat - a legitimate right of man.

With transmutation one can enjoy sexual pleasure without deteriorating. Commonly, after copulating, one feels exhausted; but if one does not ejaculate the Entity of the Semen, after copulating one still wants to repeat it a million times, always happy and joyful; one enjoys it without ever becoming weak.

To enrich the blood with hormones is not a crime. It has been taught by the Oneida Community in the United States, it was also taught by Jung. Throughout the world, it has been taught by the wisest people.

Besides, by transmuting the Entity of the Semen, extraordinary psychological changes occur, such as the development of the pineal gland
. This gland used to be active in other times, in remote times in history. Back then, human beings possesed the Eye mentioned by Homer in his Odyssey: the Eye of the Laecertids, the Eye they saw on that giant who tried to devour them. That Eye of the Laecertids is not merely a legend without any basis... Through sexual transmutation that gland develops, becoming active again; there we find the eye that allows one to see the beyond of everything.

Our world is not just three-dimensional, as the “learned ignoramuses” believe, but it exists on a Fourth Vertical. Furthemore, we can assert - and emphatically so - that there exist a Fifth, a Sixth, and a Seventh Vertical. This means that we have not seen our world as it really is. And we have not seen it because our five senses are degenerated, our pineal gland is atrophied.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Horsepucky.

Eloquent.....

May I ask if the above term is directed towards the study soley or does it include the discussion as well? Seems implied, yet I would like clarification....

The comment was directed solely at the study iteslf. The postings of participants on this thread can stand on their own merits.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This is a reactive post........

Tamahu...please.....provide some personal commentary related to the topic. You contributions are generalized, in my opinion. What does it mean? I have read the link in your initial post to this thread....I can obliterate many of the statements made! But that is not conducive to a viable discussion, nor would it give of the statements presented in the website you the capacity to express your interpretation......which is why I am imploring you to add your own voice....

Soficrow...the discussions we could have.....absolutely...I'll perform your suggestions and get back here in short order....

Astronomer68.....All good...thanks..

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Soficrow – Sorry for the late response…..I found that I needed some background work..

Memoryshock - A quick addendum and response.

Run a search on US patent applications with the terms "+Alzheimers +fibromuscular dysplasia"

Interesting stuff. I wasn’t initially sure of the direction this would lead me, however, the subsequent search was very informative……

From the following link
The compound, a mixture of peptides derived from colostrum, are thought to help slow the progression of Alzheimers disease by reducing the build-up of beta amyloid, a toxic protein that accumulates in the brains of Alzheimer's sufferers.

www.nutraingredients-usa.com...

To explain further my thoughts on the relevance here, I mhave to include a few definitions for our readers….

Source: Dictionary.com
amino acid
n.
An organic compound containing an amino group (NH2), a carboxylic acid group (COOH), and any of various side groups, especially any of the 20 compounds that have the basic formula NH2CHRCOOH, and that link together by peptide bonds to form proteins or that function as chemical messengers and as intermediates in metabolism.

dictionary.reference.com...

And….

Source: Dictionary.com
pep•tide
n.
Any of various natural or synthetic compounds containing two or more amino acids linked by the carboxyl group of one amino acid to the amino group of another.

The mindset here is that in order to defeat a degenerative disease, the folks in the lab went back to the drawing board…..and that is how formation occurs. Colostrum is ingested by infants as a precursor to actual milk……also called foremilk. It is this production and subsequent physical reaction (s) that sets the foundation for all of the physical/mental development of any given individual.

As per the definitions….peptide bonds are what define proteins. Alzhiemer’s, theoretically, is resultant in several factorations of cellular breakdown (and subsequent buildup of imperfect incarnations……the breakdown is on a physical level, where electro-chemical bonds are not replicated properly….the kicker is that imperfect replications occur and begin to outnumber healthy cells.…..thus the nature of prions. Prions are deviations of the chemical relationships created at birth and infancy by the assimilation of the mother’s milk…..nature knows what the formation of an individual requires and our comprehensions will have to start with her….

Another interesting link….

A lot of the page is fraught with political irrelevancy, in the context of our discussion, but what I found interesting was this…

Neural stem cells are offshoots of the better-known embryonic stem cells, which can divide without limit and which can give rise to all of the body's more than 200 cell types. Neural stem cells have undergone further specialization, compared to embryonic stem cells, and so are restricted to forming only cells of the CNS. But like embryonic stem cells, neural stem cells can self-renew by dividing indefinitely in culture before differentiating. "All the steps between going from an embryonic stem cell to a neural stem cell are defined by the fetus, and so when we isolate neural stem cells, they're already programmed to become CNS cells," states Ann Tsukamoto, StemCell's vice president of scientific operations.

www.biospace.com...

The point I’m getting here is that neural stem cells self renew as neural stem cells, rather than self-renew after they have become case specific…..the implications….I have yet to have more thought on this as I’m still understanding (via third party inclusion..
) but my initial thought is that the neural stem cells can create a foundation for recuperated mental function, rather than memory proper….unless the neurodegenerative disease is caught early on…..the variables involved are many, but once understood ( and who’s to say it isn’t already in certain circles..
) the only necessary requisites are public comprehension and application….if you can identify the onset yourself, or have exposure to medical diagnostics on a regular schedule, then you can potentially beat the disease, should you be prone to it…..

The implication in both cases is that our researchers have gone back to the drawing board (in utero and infancy) to understand and potentially combat eventual degradations…afterall, how can you repair it if you don’t understand the blueprints? The current consensus on these grains of thought and initial applications are encouraging…

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts and first impressions..!!

Also, review T.N. James' work on apoptosis.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to procure any internet link with regards to one T.N. James……could I receive some help in this regard?

RE: proteins morphing on direct contact. Is both the rationale and mechanism of stem cell therapy.

This is still new to me…..the morphing on direct contact suggests some kind of communication happening...which is relevant in that to understand the mode of communication potentially allows for an understanding of what is communicated….

RE: environment and genetics. Methinks you may be propagating the myth that says phenotypic = genetic. ...The genetic myth is based on the mistaken assumption that only genes can govern protein production/creation/conformation. Wrong. Many common industrial and other practises create misfolded proteins, which become infectious prions, and then, affect protein production in living cells.

Please note my emphasis…..your statement is true. However, that is phenotypic. Phentype relates to how the environment influences genetic expression….in every cellular expression. I think that the protein mutation into prion is either a necessary degeneration due to a Law of Averages factorization…due to environment the replication of protein will encounter positive and negative fluctuations evidenced by their incarnations (the popular associated disorders being attributed to an unhealthy concentration of the “negative”)…..or completely environmental.

The myth is hardly a myth, in my opinion, in that the necessary relationship between genes and environmental influence have hardly been accounted for. Alzhiemer’s concentration has been found to be more relevant in aluminum environments (factories)….this suggests heavily an environmental influence….in that an excess of a heavey compound (metal) will impede the efficiency of cellular function. Same thing has been theorized(?) with mercury and vaccinations……a relatively high percentage of autism will tend to implicate the common factor.

Keep in mind that proteins are the essential building blocks for cells…..that doesn’t preclude what the cell does once it has been properly maintained…

Again….my thoughts and impressions….I would of course be interested in your direct views…

RE: mental control of cellular and other bodily functions. Absolutely possible IMO. Unfortunately, in today's biochemical environment, one needs to spend an increasingly inordinate amount of time to neutralize contaminations. Sometimes, that battle requires too much time.

I agree and disagree..

Very possible. But the ability to neutralize contaminations is almost a mute point when one determines the attenuations of an individual….if you begin life and maturation with “positive” mindsets and directed motivations (not to say the capacity to follow the motivations) the “contaminations” are almost irrelevant. It’s in a high stress environment, (where many of society finds home) where the need to concentrate on the negatives becomes a very relevant factor….

...Oh for more time. We could have a good discussion.

I’m going to re-second this sentiment, as I wish I could have expounded more. To go further, would to necessitate off-topic (which would be worth it!)…but the statement also reflects the tardiness of this reply…….not enough time..

[edit on 3-9-2005 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 3-9-2005 by MemoryShock]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join