It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
The mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, told reporters late on Tuesday that it would be three to four months before residents would be able to return to their homes

If they are allowed back, it would be my guess that it would only be to get what they can before leaving for good. Because I think NO will have to either be rebuilt somwhere else, or everything raised to be above sea level. Either case they will have to start from scratch. What a loss.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I live in the panhandle of Florida and we were very lucky this time.I heard that 80% of N.O. is under water . The scary part is September is the worst part of the hurricane season.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
May I repeat one of my previous posts?

. With all the knowledge we have nowadays and the experience of Katrina and other Hurricanes... Why constructing NO again - there - ? Isn´t it better for people´s safety to leave and start somewhere else, where the land is above sea level?
Of course, it is supposed that no other Hurricane cat. 4 or 5 should hit NO again for many years... but, who knows? It can happen again in say 30 or 50 years... Maybe we won´t see it, but others will suffer it. -

Watching to all this, I still wonder why rebuilding?
Building there again is waiting for another disaster... some day in the future

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It could happen again next year. Ivan and Dennis hit very close to the same point. Frances and Jeanne last year hit within a couple miles of the exact same spot. No reason to think it couldn't happen again. The Gulf is a very dangerous spot and to build below sea level is VERY foolish. If you think about it you'd understand what I mean. Heck New Orleans didn't even get a 100mph wind gust. Is this what happens to the city with so little wind?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yes, I agree.
So, why are they still talking about reconstruction? And about three or four months to return to their -- homes -- ?

They should be planning a way to solve the problem of being under sea level or help citizens to start NO on a different and better location.
Don´t you think so?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
guys, we arent gone down here, NO still exists. we can and will recover from this with time, LOTS of time.

in case you havent noticed, Biloxi is gone i mean completely gone. there may be about 10 buildings still standing there.

i know how it looks, but we will eventually get over this. people are going to go back.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
People are going to go back and they will expect the nation to bail them out once again when this happens the next time. Same goes for Biloxi. They are in a very bad location (not as bad as NO) and will have their hands out for money the next time they get devistated. Its not an "IF" question but a "WHEN" question. Nearly $75 billion over 2 years. Why should everyone else have to keep paying for that?

Maybe I should build my home on the side of Mount St. Helens and just expect tax payers to keep rebuilding my home every time MSH erupts.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

guys, we arent gone down here, NO still exists. we can and will recover from this with time, LOTS of time.

So that it can happen again with a year, a few years? I think THAT is the point many are trying to drive home here... The track record of just the past few years indicates that the likelihood of NO being hit by another monster hurricane is pretty good. Not to mention, can you imagine the insurance rates (if they can even GET insurance) for rebuilding there?

The only way I can see this even REMOTELY being feasible is if they COMPLETELY revamp the levee system and put in some more failsafes and pumping stations. IF New Orleans is to be rebuilt, and in the same location, there are a LOT of problems to be solved, or it will simply happen again, and sooner rather than later I'd wager. Not the least of which is getting the water currently in the bowl, OUT....so that you can even begin to assess the true damage.

So, where's Mardi Gras going to be?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

So, where's Mardi Gras going to be?

Galveston.

See ya there.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Time to reassess extremely vulnerable areas to natural disasters and the like such as NO in order to prevent countless billions and countless lives being spared from further future attacks by Father Nature (Why does it have to be a "she").

I understand the sentimental ideal and the "all my life" arguments but your life is more important than house, car, and all material possessions put together. People can live in areas such as NO but they should do so at their own expense.

If you live on a fault line, don't be surprised if it cracks under your feet.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Maybe I should build my home on the side of Mount St. Helens and just expect tax payers to keep rebuilding my home every time MSH erupts.

ROFLOL...

But seriously almost everywhere is vulnerable to a natural disaster of some sort or another...there's really no escaping it.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Everyone is free to live wherever he/she wants, but isn´t it a irresponsibility to decide living again where hurricane hit and under sea level?
I would rather decide moving and starting somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Mayor Ray Nagin says at least hundreds of people are dead -- maybe thousands -- in New Orleans.

www.wwltv.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Actually, if the levees hadnt have broken, the damage in NO wouldnt be all that bad. If they rebuild, they'll build bigger stronger levees...

[edit on 8/31/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It´s heartbreaking

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Its like builing your house in a flood plain. You might have the best farmland but sooner or later everything you worked for will disappear forever. Stop building houses in floodplains

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
True, but they did, and there is....and it was pretty well known it would.

But seriously almost everywhere is vulnerable to a natural disaster of some sort or another...there's really no escaping it.

Yes, but does one really have to tempt fate? By stacking the odds against them from the get go, like being surrounded by a sea that's higher than the land you're living on? Might not be a wise move. I guess time will decide New Orleans' fate...

Thanks for the first hand reports by the way, for those giving them...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Mardi Gras should be held in Crawford. Or on the streets of Washintgon D.C. I would love to see the look on those rich fatcats faces when a million people are wasted and enjoying life since that is the antithesis of what the politicians stand for.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Many if not most of those who died or are/were stranded are low income folks who could not afford to leave. Most mistakenly believed that they would be just as safe at home as they would be at the superdome. Hotels in Houston were charging $200 for $80 rooms.

I rode out Ivan last year in Slidell. I am well equipped to ride out just about anything that can be ridden out. Most folks are not. We were heavily warned about Ivan (we were in the cone), yet it missed us.

Many people who survived Betsy and Cammile thought that they would survive this one. Some folks on my old street in Slidell decided to ride it out. There have been reports of at least 100 tornados in St. Tammany Parish. I pray for the safety of those who decided to stay and ride it out.

Mayor Morris has said that it will be 6 - 12 weeks before St. Tammany will have full electrical service. Cleco is working at moving the many trees and utility poles that were toppled. Many roads are impassible. It will be awhile before they can start turning things back on.

Folks are going to be unemployed for months. Thousands of folks who have no jobs or homes will be in temporary shelters for months. I am grateful to God that we were transferred out the area before this happened. My heart and prayers go out to the many that have to go through this. Although I no longer live there, this is still very personal to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Man, Ive been watching this live feed for almost 2 days now.. and it just tears me apart that I cant be there to help..

I mean, I currently dont have a job.. and I'm about to be evicted from my apartment.. hell.. if I had the money to travel down there I'd so be there.. sigh

Don't normally quote myself.. but..

If say I were to get the cash to make the trip down there.. how would I go about joining the relief efforts?

I've contacted the Red Cross.. still waiting on an email..

Anything else that I should do?

[edit on 8/31/2005 by QuietSoul]

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join