It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Bronson dies at 81

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Associated Press

Charles Bronson, the Pennsylvania coal miner who drifted into films as a villain and became a hard-faced action star, notably in the popular "Death Wish" vengeance movies, has died. He was 81.

During the height of his career, Bronson was hugely popular in Europe; the French knew him as "le sacre monstre" (the sacred monster), the Italians as "Il Brutto" (the brute). In 1971, he was presented a Golden Globe as "the most popular actor in the world."

Bronson died Saturday of pneumonia at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his wife at his bedside, publicist Lori Jonas said. He had been in the hospital for weeks, Jonas said.

Reuters

Bronson, who was famous for his roles as a quiet, tough-talking hero in often violent films, was in 1972 named the biggest box office star by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and received the Gold Star Award as the film industry's top international star in 1979.

His craggy looks, menacing presence and understated acting style helped earn him applause in such films as "The Magnificent Seven" (1960), "The Great Escape" (1963) and "The Dirty Dozen" (1967).

His reputation was confirmed in such later movies as "Mr. Majestyk" (1974) as well as "Death Wish" and its sequels in 1981 and 1986.

ABC NEWS (AP)

REUTERS

Bronson was a great actor, one of the 'tough guys' of the screen like Clint Eastwood. When I think of Bronson, I think of 'The Dirty Dozen', classic film.

RIP Charles Bronson

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I wonder who the next two to go are gonna be... They die in three's in hollywood.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
No Bronson fans here at ATS? That last reply wasn't the kind I was expecting.

Not only was Charles Bronson a great actor, but he also was a driver and a tail gunner in the United States Army Air Corps, more specifically on B-29s in the 20th Air Force.

LIST OF BRONSON FILMS

Some interesting facts:

- In 1963 Sergio Leone asked Bronson to star in his western "A Fistful of Dollars". He turned the roll down, so Leone asked Clint Eastwood. Bronson was not the first actor Leone asked to play the "Man With No Name". Richard Harrison also made the same mistake that Bronson made.

- Charles Bronson's second wife Jill Ireland co-starred in no less than 15 movies beside her husband before she died of cancer in 1990.The first one was "Villa Rides" filmed in 1968 and the last one was "Assassination" filmed in 1987.

- Charles Bronson has starred in a lot of TV series between 1953 and 1967 prior to his breakthrough in movie making in 1968 when Once upon a time ...in the West came out.

MSN Biography

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
i just rented the great escape, he kicked ass in that movie.

RIP

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It is a sad day.
I loved Bronson movies. Thought he was a great actor and will be missed.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It is indeed a great loss.
I love the death wish movies and also the great escape.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hey Bronson was the man,The Great Escape and the Dirty Dozen were 2 of his best films..He had quite a life 81 was a good innings..

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
his age is more close to 89 mr winner said its was on teletext c4 410

top topics

join