It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran overhauling its airplanes

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I guess a couple of those guys in the background are wearing reverse engineered helmets

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T

You'd like rude members dealt with quickly and finally, but you don't want anyone saying nasty things about Islamic nations who fund terrorists that really enjoy killing us. Talk about screwed up value sets.

Just how did the British become so emasculated. This is like reading the minutes of a Wandsworth Council meeting.

Greetings,

Shocker, another attack for defending a nation that while it has had a checkered past, I do not believe gives you or any one else the right to label a whole nation, religion and culture as evil or sub-standard. I am sure if I was to start on the illegal actions of the americans over the last 2 years I would besieged by a stack of aggressive and insulting pms, not to mention attacks on the thread, much like the one you have posted.

I stand here defending a nations technical ability, because unlike you, I do not make snap judgement or believe in political stereotypes. I respect the Iranians technical abilities, along with their abilities to produce and maintain their aircraft, a section being western types.

Whether or not I agree with their current political background, I do not believe that a whole country and people, not to mention religion be branded as evil by a nation which invaded a country without proof.

As for your insult, its interesting that by disagreeing with the American Membership, I am suddenly, without my male Appendages, well you know, some members have morals and believe in respect, whether it be for a friend, a colleague or and enemy, some thing you should look into.

- Phil

[edit on 24-8-2005 by gooseuk]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Alrighty then. Enuough of the back and forth. If you want to talk about the MRO operations the IIAF is conducting please do so, but if you want to go back and forth one natiolistic personal issues, please stop doing so in this thread.

Back to the topic:

As TC noted the MRO facility is pretty tidy looking. And Gaz, it does look like a press event. However, it may be no different than when a member of congress tours Boeing or Lockheed etc. Politicians the world over are pretty much the same when you get down to brass tacks :shk:. Aside from the neat appearence of the shop and the mechanics, It does look like a large facility that does alot of this type of repairs.

Gaz. according to AWST 4 F-14 are in flying condition. At the time of the sale to the Shah, the F-14A were fairly close to the USN version. Apparently when the Shah fell, the Grumman technicians, took some of the critical avianics circut boards with them. Also, they are still the same "A" models that have never been upgraded. Report say that the Iranians use them as sort of a mini AWACS with its radar system and not a frontline Air SUperiority fighter.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Anybody mention the 70ish F14's they have?

They supposedly dont have the parts for upkeep and never received the training needed to maintain them. I wonder whats become of those?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooseukAs for your insult, its interesting that by disagreeing with the American Membership, I am suddenly, without my male Appendages, well you know, some members have morals and believe in respect, whether it be for a friend, a colleague or and enemy, some thing you should look into.

- Phil

Isn't it strange that by sticking up for America, you must be American - actually I'm English - shameful as that admission is to me.

Your anti-American bias is plain to a blind man, if this thread had taken on an America bashing pretext I doubt your opprobrium would have been quite so evident.

As for Iran having a "checkered" past, I'm somewhat more concerned by their checkered present, as should we all.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I have done a fair amount of research on Iran, and I personally don't think we have too much to worry about from their airforce. They have been putting out some new designs, but those aren't really in the same league as most modern aircraft (most notably from france, russia or the united states).

They have some decent missile systems, including anti ship and anti air, but those are largely static and should be easy to destroy if we can get decent intelligence as to where they are.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
Isn't it strange that by sticking up for America, you must be American - actually I'm English - shameful as that admission is to me.

Your anti-American bias is plain to a blind man, if this thread had taken on an America bashing pretext I doubt your opprobrium would have been quite so evident.

As for Iran having a "checkered" past, I'm somewhat more concerned by their checkered present, as should we all.

Greetings,

Iran is not doing any thing that any other western nation, has ever done. The Iranians are developing Nuclear Weapons, some thing which the US, UK, Russia etc have had the chance to do over the years, with out another nations opinion or threats being directed at them, its a double standard, how can the Iranians be any less trustworthy, than say the Russians or for that matter the americans, as the Americans are the only nation ever to use Nuclear weapons on another country. I do not believe or support any nation that believes that they have the right to dictate to another nation what they want them to do, by doing that we are becoming nothing more than international bullies.

Actually, no matter what any one says, as soon as you disagree with the current american stance, you are suddenly Anti-American, its called being or playing the Victim. What if I was to say I am from MA, just living here for an exchange program?

- Phil

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Any american bravado will be followed by anti-american bashing...
Its the logical flow of events..

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
The Iranians are developing Nuclear Weapons

- No matter how many times people assert this (and it is interesting to see just how this is becoming accepted as fact) there is not the slightest shred of actual evidence to support this claim.

People can make these claims until they are blue in the face but there really is nothing of fact to support such mere claims.
Even the plutonium traces inspectors found on one occassion have now been accepted by American inspectors as mere contamination coming from Pakistani sources.

A group of US government experts and other international scientists has determined that traces of bomb-grade uranium found two years ago in Iran came from contaminated Pakistani equipment and are not evidence of a clandestine nuclear weapons program, the Washington Post reported Tuesday.

"The biggest smoking gun that everyone was waving is now eliminated with these conclusions," the Post quoted a senior official, who discussed the still-confidential findings on the condition of anonymity.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk

Greetings,
, how can the Iranians be any less trustworthy, than say the Russians or for that matter the americans, as the Americans are the only nation ever to use Nuclear weapons on another country. I do not believe or support any nation that believes that they have the right to dictate to another nation what they want them to do, by doing that we are becoming nothing more than international bullies.

The reason that "America is dictating whether or not a nation can develop nuclear weaponry" is that something called the Nuclear non-proliferation treaty exists, of which Iran is a signatory of. There is no bullying going on here, only holding up of UN policy. Iran has the right to use nuclear power for civil reasons, of course, but the way they are going about their program now does raise some eyebrows. This is why France,the UK, and Germany were trying to figure out what the heck is going on. It is us up to the IAEA now to make the next move.

[edit on 8/25/2005 by Wiley_Wonka]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
(responding to initial post)

Sure, this certainly doesn't seem like a big press stunt does it???

This is obviously a blatant staged press propaganda event...

Wow, Vietnam-era aircraft...surely the infidels of the evil satan are quaking in their boots...???

Still, these planes won't be able to go toe-to-toe with their western counterparts, nor will their pilots.

I've seen a few big press stunts in other countries as well. Like when Discovery Channel tell me all about how AWESOME the Raptor, JSF or Commanche are. They were telling us the same things about the Apache and then they crashed in the Balkans and were grounded.

And what do you call it when the Blue Angels barrel roll in in front of a crowd at an airshow, other than a blatantly stage propaganda exercise?

What's A6, other than a Vietnam-era aircraft. Or the B52? Or the Huey Cobra? Or the U2? Or the Blackbird? How about the RAAF's F1-11s? Even Harrier dates from the 60s.

Maybe the 'planes won't, but how do you know what kind of training Iranian pilots get?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
ENUF

The topic of this thread is MRO activities by the Iranian AF NOT thier nuclear program, NOR will ANY bashing American, non American be tolerated. Failure to stay on topic or continuing the pointless bashing will result in more than a post.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Greetings,

The Iranians are quite skilled when it comes to copying a design, while not so advanced when you look at some of the chinese, soviet copies, none the less, they are capable of producing a few Western Knockoffs, the Jet Ranger, Huey and the A-1 Cobra, they are still used by the US Airforce and army, that in itself is no small feat, but while I do believe they have the industrial ability to clone the western fighters they currently have, I don't believe they would, most western nations using those types have either pushed them to second line duties or stopped using them altogether, while a upgrade program for a cloned F-14 might be an idea, it would be a waste of money, when they could pick up a SU-27, Mig 29 or J-10.

- Phil

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I converted an old F-14 Model into IIAF colours and markings, looks much cooler in camo than in boring grey like the USN versions

Anyway heres some resources on the history of the IIAF F-14's and it's combat history, mainly against the Iraqis.

www.acig.org...
www.aerospaceweb.org...
www.globalsecurity.org...

And some info on their Mirages www.acig.org...

They have also made some dodgy looking F-5 based aircraft, and they have some parts for the F-16s that they ordered in the 70s but didn't quite get delivered in time .

Some other aircraft they have

Azarakhsh (Lightning)

Saeqeh-80 / Owj

Shafaq (Before the Dawn)

[edit on 26/8/05 by R988]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join