It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan, China, Korea to develop Windows replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
TOKYO: Japan, South Korea and China are set to jointly develop a new computer operating system as an alternative to Microsoft Corp's Windows software, Japanese media reported on Sunday.

Quoting sources close to the matter, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei) said that, if the plan matured, the three nations were likely to build upon an open-source operating system, such as Linux, and develop an inexpensive and trustworthy system.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Interesting. I am just glad that they are working togther and not fighting.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Good for them! I hate Microsoft, I hope they put them out of business.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well, it's not that bad.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Hrm, Sonynet anyone?

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How will Bill attempt to put Japan, South Korea and China out of business??? This could be the start of WWIII!

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Here is what will happen: They will invent something really cool that is very cool, and microsoft will steal the idea and market it better. That is what they do best.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonestar
Here is what will happen: They will invent something really cool that is very cool, and microsoft will steal the idea and market it better. That is what they do best.

Yes, they will also fill it with bugs, and trojans, and viruses which Microsoft will include and they will promptly eat your computers from the inside out. The resulting lawsuits will bankrupt Microsoft and Bill Gates, looking for a new career, will become the Ron Popiel of the 21st century.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 09:42 AM
link   
anything has to be better than the bug filled windoze

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   
lol

I agree. windoze sucks. I use it because i am forced to.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
What's the point of a new OS? You'll then have to make a whole bunch of entirely new programs to be compatible with it. With big name OS's such as windoze (even though it sucks, sadly, it is popular), mac, and linux, I don't think that it'll stand much of a chance against those three. Unless if it introduces something completely radical in the computing world, it's not very likely that it'll be a sucessful OS.

If you see a list of all the OS's there are available, half of them you've probably never heard of. Most of them are only good for doing stuff that involves processing, others are good at having excessive eye candy (windoze). If this one is a generic OS with no outstanding feature, it should be dead pretty soon.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wish them a buncha luck but so far I ain't too impressed with asian software.

Games are good but even the yanks are a lot better at that.

Don't think Bill has to worry frankly.

Yeah we all know that windows is buggy, I curse it everyday but that is cause it has to be compatible with so much old crap that it is a wonder it works at all.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Alot of people use windoze, but some of them actually don't really need it, and can switch to mac. I use windoze, but the things I do can be done on a mac. I don't play games much, and I usually just use my comp to do my school work and stuff on the internet.

Dang, I want one of those G5s. They're so nice!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Actually how are the latest linux releases these days?

Gettin' easier to install yet?

Runnin' good?

Compatible with lotsa software?

How does the windows emmulators run on these ops?

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 01:31 AM
link   
THENEO: easier to install...you better believe it! Suse 9.0 and Red Hat 9, as well as Mandrake 9.2 all have extremely easy installs. They have always run quite well for me. Hmm...compatability, that's a tough one. I wouldnt say compatible, but I'd say about 98% of the time there's an equal alternative to the software. Windows emulators. Wine, and WineX, see for yourself at www.winehq.com and www.transgaming.com

I've gotten OfficeXP apps to run with wine, as well as IE, and many others. But , like I said, why bother with emulation when there's perfectly good and capable alternatives to these eh?

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Grommer,

thanks a heap man!

think my next machine will run on Linx!

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Acually, there is software out there on the market that allows you to install and run moer than one operating system on one machine. I have no idea how it works, but it's worth trying if you're curious about other OSs (such is linux, which is by the way, free, and better than most other ones). I'm not exactly sure how it can run two OSs efficeintly at the same time though. I guess it's only useful for prorammeds who are testing cross platform compatibility.

www.vmware.com...

I think you can also install the OSs on different partitions of your hard drive and set all them to boot. Just a theory.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea. The fact is that Windows is too expensive for the asian market (for the rest of the world too) and it's language support isn't so great. The cost of getting together a crack team of developers to come up with an efficient operating system without all the baggage of Windows would be miniscule compared to purchasing licences let alone the maintenance and upgrade costs. The added bonus is, as with linux, you won't have to have such a high spec machine as you would need for WinXP to run properly. They'd be able to use old computers and keep costs down while reaping the benefits of electronic commuication.

new topics

top topics

join