It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Doctors Remove Baby's Parasitic Third Leg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   

REUTERS

Surgeons in Beijing said on Thursday they had successfully operated on a baby born with a leg of her undeveloped twin protruding from her back after the third limb deprived her of nutrients she needed to live.

Three anesthetists, four surgeons and four nurses toiled for six hours at Dongzhimen Hospital to remove the curved, tail-like parasite, said one of the surgeons, Yu Xing.

REUTERS

It's good to see that the surgery was a success, but unfortunately, unless her nervous system recovers, she may never walk. Sadly, the baby was found abandoned in the street in Beijing, what kind of parent would abandon their child? Was it because of the deformity, most likely. The surgery was performed free of charge at Dongzhimen Hospital, a nice gesture by the hospital, I'd hate to see what that bill would have been. I hope she recovers fully, she'll have quite a story to tell.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   
My colleauge was telling me about this in the morning.

It's sad that this baby may never walk!

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Dood!
If someone removed my third leg i'd be pissed off!

oh wait. it was an actuall vestigial leg.
nevermind.
carry on.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   
On a serious note, it sounds alot like spina bifida

Doctors have started some marvelous treatment for lower pediatric nerve damage, i'd be optimistic.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Interesting, very interesting.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
PA lots of kids are abandoned and left on the streets in China as u might already know Chinese families are only allowed 1 child per family by law,so chucking a 2nd or even a 3rd out on the streets is not unusual.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
PA lots of kids are abandoned and left on the streets in China as u might already know Chinese families are only allowed 1 child per family by law,so chucking a 2nd or even a 3rd out on the streets is not unusual.

No, actually I've never heard that before. I assume that is a form of population control, that's a shame that kids are abandoned like this. I wonder if "fixing" a woman after having her first child would decrease the problem of babies being left in the street. How long has that been a law in China?

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Its been the law there for quite a while cos China is 1 of the world s most populous countries if not the largest.

top topics

join