It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Freemason logo a trademark?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Is the Freemason Square and Compass with a G inside protected? Is it a trademark or registered trademark? Or because of its age, is it now public domain?

I found this:

In 1873, a flour manufacturer attempted to trademark the interlaced square and compasses but the United States Patent Office denied the trademark request. In rendering its decision, the Patent Office said, "this device, so commonly worn and employed by Masons, has an established mystic significance, universally recognized as existing; whether comprehended by all or not, is not material to this issue. In view of the magnitude of the Masonic organization, it is impossible to divest its symbols, or at least this particular symbol - perhaps the best known of all - of its ordinary signification, wherever displayed…"

www.grandlodgeoftexas.org...

And this:

The "Square and Compass" is the most widely known symbol of Masonry. In one way, this symbol is the trademark for the fraternity.

www.freemason.org...

So it seems that the symbol isn’t protected. Although it cannot be trademarked by anyone, it seems it is public domain and anyone can use it. Am I correct in thinking this?

For Example could McDonalds make A “Freemason Burger” use the symbol and not pay royalty to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'm not sure on the various Trademark implication of the S&Q, but had a quick point to make...

Not all Freemasons wear their S&Q with the 'G' in the middle.

Here in the UK it is traditionally only worn by Scottish masons (not Scottish Rite, but actually Scottish)

The significance of the 'G' is debatable, either signifying 'God' or the 'Great Architect'.

As far as I am aware many American masons do indeed include the 'G' on their S&Q, but it is not a global phenomenon.

Benjj

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
No, it's not trademarked or copyrighted. Anyone can use it or abuse it to their hearts content.

If MacDonalds really did want to make a freemasonburger I trust they would keep the ingredients a secret

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
ROTFL Thanks for the reply Trinityman.

I found this after I posted.
en.wikipedia.org...:Square_and_compasses.png
Pretty obvious on here. (although I’m not sure where wiki stands as an authoritative source… but I’m sure authoritative enough to resolve this issue.)

At the bottom they say this:

However, the symbol of the Square and Compasses is a trademark.
and link to
freemasonry.bcy.ca...

Im not sure I understand the difference between the image and the symbol...?

[edit on 8-8-2005 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
People people people.

Ask yourself a question in a few ways before you decide you have the answer.

My question is, which came first, the identify-able logo requiring a law to protect its likeness, or Freemasonry?

Oh, you say the Temple Bar and Masonry may have common origins? Wow.

Alright, well time to wrap wrap it up!
T is the 20th letter of the alphabet!
M is the 13th letter of the alphabet!

33!!!! Hello! TM= 33

Effectively the TM is a Masonic Mark of Trade.

The things you know.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by benjj
I'm not sure on the various Trademark implication of the S&Q, but had a quick point to make...

Not all Freemasons wear their S&Q with the 'G' in the middle.

Here in the UK it is traditionally only worn by Scottish masons (not Scottish Rite, but actually Scottish)

The significance of the 'G' is debatable, either signifying 'God' or the 'Great Architect'.

As far as I am aware many American masons do indeed include the 'G' on their S&Q, but it is not a global phenomenon.

Benjj

my pins have the g in the middle. the ''g'' can also stands for ''gnosis''.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild

That is a mere myth. In the lectures of Freemasonry, the only explanations given are "God" and "Geometry".

moonchild: I'm surprised that, as a supposed mason, you didn't even know the G stood for Geometry. Actually, I'm not surprised.

[edit on 8-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Also, it seems that capitalization of certain words is rather important to anyone who takes their stuff seriously. Just ask Cug.

df1

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
deleted

[edit on 8-8-2005 by df1]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk

That is a mere myth. In the lectures of Freemasonry, the only explanations given are "God" and "Geometry".

In the Scottish Rite version of the Second Degree, it is indeed said that the Letter G represents Gnosis, as well as Geometry.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Star Gate SG1 uses the square and compass

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

In the Scottish Rite version of the Second Degree, it is indeed said that the Letter G represents Gnosis, as well as Geometry.

REALLY?!? Wow, that's surprising... I guess I stand corrected.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

moonchild: I'm surprised that, as a supposed mason, you didn't even know the G stood for Geometry. Actually, I'm not surprised.

[edit on 8-8-2005 by sebatwerk]

Ho Sebatwerk Supreme Being of Light and Illustrious Brother, how could you not know the instructions of your own rite!!!!

and, as usual, you purpusefully misread my post and concluded that i didnt know it meant, among other meanings, ''Geometry''. I never mentionned i didnt know. I only said ONE OF POSSIBLE MEANINGS IS GNOSIS. please stop acting like a jealous child. For a Travelling Man, you should try to travel outside the bubble of you own ego.

Not to mention the fact that you went from 3rd degree to 32nd degree in one day. no wonder you ignore certain key fact of an education im not sure you fully received.

M :.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

REALLY?!? Wow, that's surprising... I guess I stand corrected.

I think I am right to assume i deserve an apology from your part mister sebatwerk. you are insolent. I told you before it was in your interest to listen to what i have to say, no matter what your opinion on me is. you should have listened.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Don't be to hasty to condemn, I was raised to believe that the "G" stood for great architect. Since I have gone to lodges in different states I have found that the lodge work differs from state to state...rite to rite.

I must thank you, I just glanced at gnostic.org and it seems worth while looking into.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I think I am right to assume i deserve an apology from your part mister sebatwerk. you are insolent. I told you before it was in your interest to listen to what i have to say, no matter what your opinion on me is. you should have listened.

You can assume whatever you want, but that doesn't mean that it will be so. So childish, you're like a kid who hides behind his mom while she yells at another kid, then screams out "I told you so!". Grow up.

Masonic Light has achieved a level of credibility which you have not, not just because 75% of all things you have stated regarding Freemasonry have been false, but also because you are extremely rude and very cocky for being such a young mason.

Now either discuss the topic, or don't post anything at all. Be a big boy and settle any personal problems that you may have with me via u2u.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Cor blimey, didn't think that this would get into a beef between the brothers!

Anyway, I asked another brother (raised in Scotland but living and meeting in London) and he said as has been mentioned above:

God
Great Architecht
Grand Geometrician

No mention of Gnosis but it would appear from the above posts that it does appear in a 2nd somewhere along the line.

I wear mine without the G, though I rarely wear a S&Q lapel pin but favour the forget-me-not or sprig of acacia.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Moon and Seb.--That's enough bickering, you both know as well as i that in this forum and on this sight we are the minority and need to stick together. as Seb. pointed out he stands corrected. Now let it go.

and now for the post--i have seen the squar and compas on a hat once, that was for the masonry and machinists union of somesort. (actual masons, not FREEMASONS). the compas saw more of a rounded one almost like that of what a ship captain would use, but the square was normal. tihs could mean that if the symbol IS tradmarked it would still be ok because it wasnt the exact same. i'm not sure how that stuff works though.....but if something is trademarked doesnt it have to have a TM by it or an R in a cirlce or something?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Here's another interesting one for you.

The now (very sadly) lost order of Free Gardeners had a symbol very similar to our own, but with the addition of a small pruning knife.

You can read more about this very interesting society here:

www.historyshelf.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123
Moon and Seb.--That's enough bickering, you both know as well as i that in this forum and on this sight we are the minority and need to stick together. as Seb. pointed out he stands corrected. Now let it go.

moonchild is NOT a Freemason!!! He CLAIMS to belong to a completely irregular and clandestine organization, but his demeanor, attitude and maturity suggest that the is not even part of THAT organization.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join