It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone need any Islamic questions answered?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I can be of help ... from basic beliefs..islamic mysticism..the finals days...descent of the Messiah (Jesus/Issa peace be upon him)..Anti Christ..Mahdi.. and other thing you might need. Do ask if you are curious I don't mind!

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I am assuming that you are a Moslem.

On ATS and other forums I see regularly criticisms against Islam because the Koran seems to indicate that it is a Moslems duty to commit violence against non Muslims. I see this theme regularly on: www.Jihadwatch.org .
I have never really heard a good explanation for this.

How does Islam justify the atrocious treatment towards women? I have been told that the Koran does not specifically teach that women should be covered. If that is the case why is it widely practiced?

Thank You

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
On ATS and other forums I see regularly criticisms against Islam because the Koran seems to indicate that it is a Moslems duty to commit violence against non Muslims. I see this theme regularly on: www.Jihadwatch.org .
I have never really heard a good explanation for this.

-- The word Jihad comes from the root word jahada, which means to struggle. So jihad is literally an act of struggling. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said that the greatest jihad is to struggle with the insidious suggestions of one’s own soul. Thus jihad primarily refers to the inner struggle of being a person of virtue and submission to God in all aspects of life.

Secondarily, jihad refers to struggle against injustice. Islam, like many other religions, allows for armed self-defense, or retribution against tyranny, exploitation, and oppression. The Glorious Qur’an says:

“And why should ye not fight in the cause of God and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)? - Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"
[Al-Qur’an 4:75]

Thus Islam enjoins upon its believers to strive utmost, in purifying themselves, as well as in establishing peace and justice in the society.

Islam enjoins upon all Muslims to work actively to maintain the balance in which God created everything. However, regardless of how legitimate the cause may be, the Glorious Qur’an never condones the killing of innocent people. Terrorizing the civilian population can never be termed as jihad and can never be reconciled with the teachings of Islam.

During the Prophet's time (peace be upon him) the jews and christians used to live in the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah. The muslims didn't massacre them. They imposed heavy taxes on them though. The people either left, accepted islam or payed the taxes.

How does Islam justify the atrocious treatment towards women? I have been told that the Koran does not specifically teach that women should be covered. If that is the case why is it widely practiced?

The Hijab and the covering of the women is mentioned in the Quran.

"Tell the believing men to lower their eyes and guard their private parts... Tell the believing women to lower their eyes, guard their private parts and not display their charms except what is apparent outwardly... "(an-Nur 24:30-31)

"O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters, as well as all (other) believing women, that they should draw over themselves some of their outer garments (when in public): this will be more conducive to their being recognized (as decent women) and not annoyed. But (withal,) God is indeed much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace!" (al-Ahzab 33:59, Asad transl.)

Now from the above ayat it doesn't specifically tell you how and what to cover. Clearly in the Quran it states to follow the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) and his ways. In islam the Quran is followed then hadith which is the prophetic way he lived his life (laws are derived from first the Quran then hadith)) eg.. like what he told to his companions the various ruling etc. A good example is .. in the Quran it tells us to bow and prostrate when we pray or to give charity. The hadith tells us what we are suppose to read in every movement and what exactley to do in detail. Quran says give in charity. Hadith goes into detail that you should give 2.5% etc. This is a hadith that have I have pasted belowregrading hijab--

‘A’isha said: Asma’, daughter of Abu Bakr, entered upon the Apostle of Allah (May peace be upon him) wearing thin clothes. The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) turned his attention from her. He said: O Asma’, when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this, and he pointed to her face and hands

Sorry if I haven't given you what you want .. I have answered from what I know. I have used an article for reference .. the website is whyislam.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
good thing that someone is doing this.

usually in ATS people tend to attack with unbaise evidence. Some even dont know what they talking about so thank man

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
From where is the mythology of martyrdom's reward coming in the form of (state most recent number here) virgins in the land of milk and honey derived?

Is this belief at the core, or at the periphery, for people who take their jihad too extremely?

What exactly defines martyrdom for the individuals who choose to suicide and take others (infidels, or whomever) with them?

What exactly defines such actions as a crime or sin for other followers of Islam?

How is it possible to reconcile these two positions within the one faith and move forward?

(There are direct analogies to the inherent stupidity in other religions too, but this is Islam, baby, and the topic initiator means well).

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
From where is the mythology of martyrdom's reward coming in the form of (state most recent number here) virgins in the land of milk and honey derived?

-- The reward is listed in Hadith which i explained in the earlier post. Their is a diffrence in opinion from 70-72-77.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be up on him) was heard saying: "The smallest reward for the people of Paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah [a Damascus suburb] to Sana'a [Yemen]" (Sunan At-Tirmidhi, 4:21:2687)

Is this belief at the core, or at the periphery, for people who take their jihad too extremely?

- This reward is for all Muslims .. being the core. Now their is certain times Jihad is allowed. A regualr muslim can't get a few friends and decide to wage war against people. Jihad is obligatory on every muslim if the time arises. The jihad i am talking about is the physical fighting jihad. There is also Jihad of the innerself-- fighting of desires etc.. which is also obligatory on ones self. There will always be extremist in every religeon who take things and blow them out of proportion and don;t follow an ounce of the religeon. If you look back at muslim history and study you will see they excersized more patience then waging Jihad on everyone. If they made a trust with disbelivers .. they kept the trust they didn't go out and just kill em. Now a days people make trusts and break em .. and expect that everyhthing will be fine. Many people do not truly understand the concept of Islam. Yes we have Jihad... but for certain circumstances.

What exactly defines martyrdom for the individuals who choose to suicide and take others (infidels, or whomever) with them?

-- Muslims by no way are allowed to commit suicide or suicide bombings to civilians. This is strictly forbidden in Islam. There can be instances where such an act may be considered as allowed. However, such allowance can only be in the battlefield, while fighting a war. For instance, a suicide mission to destroy the ammunition store of the enemy - while in a state of war - or a suicide mission to defend one's people against the onslaught of the enemy may be considered as allowed. Nevertheless, a suicide mission - carried out in a covert fashion - to disrupt the civic life and to terrorize a society can by no means be considered as allowed.

What exactly defines such actions as a crime or sin for other followers of Islam?

If you kill someone it depends.. on how the killing took place. Say highway robber .. 4 man killed one man and then they were brought before the islamic judge. All 4 man would be killed for this act. Usually for a killing the person also get killed accept if the victims family forgives him. Or if it was by accident you give a certain amount of wealth etc. Now since no current government follows Islamic Shariah law .. nothing applies. The act will be dealt with Allah taala directly. Allah says i will forgive you for everything accept ascribing partners with me. Now the repentence has to be true and sincere and make sure you never do it again.

How is it possible to reconcile these two positions within the one faith and move forward?

Since there is no true Islamic country that exists. Muslims should have patience and wait for an Islamic Shariah government to take affect. As the promised Mahdi (the savior before Jesus peace be upon him descends) will fight and unite Muslims under one nation and follow shariah law. Patience is the key...

-- Hope this was of some help.. I answered to the best of my knowledge.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
These responses are excellent and will certainly help to build awareness (at least amongst those who are willing to listen, which may not include the mentors and coaches of suicide bombers or those who are the most brainwashed and cretinous supporters of the Bush administration's totally misdirected agenda.)

Thank you.

Have a WATS vote. (Generally it is referred to as TWATS voting according to official acronyms, but I am being exceptionally polite and PC.)

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
what is the explination for this?

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

and this?

O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Even though I am not Muslim, I do know Arabic and Islam. Jihaad fi Sabeel Allaah (striving hard in God's/Allaah's cause) or Qitaal fi Sabeel Allaah (fighting for God's/Allaah's cause) are basic tenets of the Islaamic faith. I have a friend here in Tulsa who is Muslim. I have never felt threatened by him, we speak openly about jihaad, about Islam, about the middle east concerns, and the main point he tends to argue is, injustice. Jihaad is an ongoing course in a Muslim/Muslimah's life. Jihaad is committed from waking up, saying as-salaat (prayer) to shugrl (work) to ummah (community of Muslims/Muslimahs, to being naayim (asleep). And also, Jihaad can be committed when an injustice is in process, be it a breaking of a treaty (like Osama bin Muhammad bin Awad bin Laden with Saudi Arabia, King Aziz permitted the United States to use its military bases to attack Iraq in the Gulf War (1990-1991), to usurping people from their houses or land titles (like in Israel).
Personally, I think anyone who is in their right mind(s) will not enter Iraq or the middle east unless one is a Muslim or Muslimah in these uncertain times, because one is just asking for trouble. Also, the beauty I find in islaam is, tawheed (the oneness of God), or in absolute Arabic, laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is none truly worthy of worship except Allaah). This belief is what cements the followers of islam so concretely together. To believe in an absolute Oneness/One. Pretty deep stuff from a philosophical point of view.
So, in ending, most of the stuff people hear about Islaam is, for the most part, propaganda to serve a fascist-globalist agenda. And as I stated in an earlier piece on this web site, Islaam really is being used as a ploy or a dupe to emerge the new world order.
XTasawwufX, please do not hold any negativity toward fellow Americans because they've been indoctrinated by an overly-bias media. And it is good you placed Islaam in its true light, this way, Americans and other nationalities can see the real deal with Islaam. Jazaa-kallaahu khayr (may Allaah reward you with good)

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Hi, Glad to see you here at ATS/STS.
As this is a theological thread and not a conspiratorial thread, I have moved it to the proper forum and domain. You're new here, it's an easy mistake to make.

I have a couple questions that could use some clairfication, if you would.

There seems to be a bit of double standard between how a Muslim and a non-Muslim is to be treated in regard to taking innocent life. Sheikh Sultanhussein Tabandeh, who they say was very much a part of making the jurisprudence of Khomeini's Islamic Republic, said in A Muslim Commentary on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (United Nations), said, ""Since Islam regards non-Muslims as on a lower level of belief and conviction, if a Muslim kills a non-Muslim...then his punishment must not be the retaliatory death, since the faith and conviction he possesses is loftier than that of the man slain. A fine may only be exacted from him."
It also seems that it is understood that women and children are not to be killed as noncombatants, unless they are fighting against Muslims. Of course, at that point, they are no longer combatants. Unless they are in some way aiding the war effort. This is what we have been told by your brethren who are taking the Jihad to us; that those in the WTC were aiding the war effort by making money for the Western establishment.

Can you see how these things are a bit confusing to some of us?

As far as the joys of dhimma, it seems that it wasn't simply heavy taxes that the Christian or Jew had to look forward to. An example is found in the writing of a Syrian Orthodox, by the name of Michael the Syrian: "Marwan's main concern was to amass gold and his yolk bore heavily on the people of the country. His troops inflictedmanyevils on the men: blows, pillages, outrages on women in their husbands' presence."
Is this type of conduct because the non-Muslim is not thought to be as important a life?

Speaking of dhimmis, a fellow named Sheikh Marzouq Salem Al-Ghamdi, during a sermon at a mosque in Mecca a few years ago, said, "If the infidels live among the Muslims, in accordance with the conditions set out by the Prophet - there is nothing wrong with it provided they pay Jizya to the Islamic treasury. Other conditions are...that they do not renovate a church or monastary, do not rebuild ones that were destroyed, that they feed for three days any Mulsim who passes by their homes, that they rise when a Muslim wishes to sit, that they do not imitate the Muslims in speech or dress, nor ride horses, nor own swords, nor arm themsleves with any kind of weapons; that they do not sell wine, do not show the cross, do not ring church bells, do not raise their voices during prayer, that they shave their hair in the front so that they are easily identifiable, do not incite anyone against the Muslims, and do not strike a Muslim...If they violate these conditions, they have no protection."
It doesn't sound like dhimma was a joy then, and I doubt it will be a joy in the future if the Muslim believer fulfills his duty of taking the entire world in the name of Allah. I don't think that Visa and Mastercard would appreciate the competiton!

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
what is the explination for this?

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

This verse was revealed with the order to fight the People of the Book after the pagans were defeated. After this lage numbers accepted Islam as their religeon and the arabian pennisula was secured by muslim rule. This verse is related directly to that event. Not for anything else. If this was the case you would have a whole uprising of muslims all over the world and not just the few extremists. You must have proper knowledge to understand the quran. It is a big sin for a muslim to just come up with his/her interperation of the quran. That is why they should listen to proper teachers .. and not so called extremist. Yes the Hijab is required for women.. but so is the beard for men. The prayer is an obligation wether your fighting in war or driving in a car. You gota pray those prayers. Extremist are the ones who make the religeon bad saying blow up this and that .. they are disbelivers etc... A muslim religeous man once told me.. The disbelivers are your friends they have the potential to become muslim .. and if they do.. they are better than you. All sin are erased if you convert to Islam. But for us who are born muslims we have years of sin piled up against us. I urge all to sit in the company of proper pious muslims and learn the correct understanding of the quran.

O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

This ayah was revealed not to take Jews and Christians because they are enemies of Islam and its people. Reason being they might mock you of your religeon... or make you follow something that muslims are forbidden to do. Most muslims fall into the mainstream society .. goto clubs..drink..have bf/gfs etc.. The women refuse to wear the hijab.. etc. Why.. because they have adapted to the society now. They no longer follow what Islam dictates us to follow. When i talk with anyone who is not muslim my intention is to bring them to Islam .. Allah says in the quran ... You are based on your intentions.. ofcourse the intentions should be pure and sincere. Now a days its harmful to sit in a regualr muslims house who doesn't practice anything -- they cross all boundaries in the religeon now. Hope this is of some help. I am not an expert but whatever i can clarify ... i try to.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by XTasawwufX]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I have a couple questions that could use some clairfication, if you would.

There seems to be a bit of double standard between how a Muslim and a non-Muslim is to be treated in regard to taking innocent life. Sheikh Sultanhussein Tabandeh, who they say was very much a part of making the jurisprudence of Khomeini's Islamic Republic, said in A Muslim Commentary on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (United Nations), said, ""Since Islam regards non-Muslims as on a lower level of belief and conviction, if a Muslim kills a non-Muslim...then his punishment must not be the retaliatory death, since the faith and conviction he possesses is loftier than that of the man slain. A fine may only be exacted from him."

-- At the prophets time the Jews were convicted of things under muslim rule according to the Torah. Here is a hadith regarding it..

The Jews brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from among them who had committed illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet said to them, "How do you usually punish the one amongst you who has committed illegal sexual intercourse?" They replied, "We blacken their faces with coal and beat them," He said, "Don't you find the order of Ar-Rajm (i.e. stoning to death) in the Torah?" They replied, "We do not find anything in it." 'Abdullah bin Salam(a jew who coverted to islam) (after hearing this conversation) said to them. "You have told a lie! Bring here the Torah and recite it if you are truthful." (So the Jews brought the Torah). And the religious teacher who was teaching it to them, put his hand over the Verse of Ar-Rajm and started reading what was written above and below the place hidden with his hand, but he did not read the Verse of Ar-Rajm. 'Abdullah bin Salam removed his (i.e. the teacher's) hand from the Verse of Ar-Rajm and said, "What is this?" So when the Jews saw that Verse, they said, "This is the Verse of Ar-Rajm." So the Prophet ordered the two adulterers to be stoned to death, and they were stoned to death near the place where biers used to be placed near the Mosque. I saw her companion (i.e. the adulterer) bowing over her so as to protect her from the stones.

As for a muslim who kills a muslim or a muslim who kills a jew or whoever else. The verse is in Surah 2 ayat 178.

O you who believe! Al-Qisas (the Law of Equality in punishment) is prescribed for you in case of murder: the free for the free, the slave for the slave, and the female for the female. But if the killer is forgiven by the brother (or the relatives, etc.) of the killed against blood money, then adhering to it with fairness and payment of the blood money, to the heir should be made in fairness. This is an alleviation and a mercy from your Lord. So after this whoever transgresses the limits (i.e. kills the killer after taking the blood money), he shall have a painful torment.

It also seems that it is understood that women and children are not to be killed as noncombatants, unless they are fighting against Muslims. Of course, at that point, they are no longer combatants. Unless they are in some way aiding the war effort. This is what we have been told by your brethren who are taking the Jihad to us; that those in the WTC were aiding the war effort by making money for the Western establishment.

-- Once again people are taking their own interpretation of the quran to benefit their own needs. I won't go further into that.

As far as the joys of dhimma, it seems that it wasn't simply heavy taxes that the Christian or Jew had to look forward to. An example is found in the writing of a Syrian Orthodox, by the name of Michael the Syrian: "Marwan's main concern was to amass gold and his yolk bore heavily on the people of the country. His troops inflictedmanyevils on the men: blows, pillages, outrages on women in their husbands' presence."
Is this type of conduct because the non-Muslim is not thought to be as important a life?

--- The rulers after the Prophet the first 4 who are calle the righly guided khalifas used to fear Allah as if they saw him. The rulers after slowly drifted away and followed their own desires .. amassing wealth.. not following the quran and sunnah etc. Yes sure they did what the Syrian said.. but Islamically it wasn;t right. Look for instance at al saud family in saudi arabia. They are the most corupt people on earth but the deceased king Fahd held the title of the Custodian of the 2 holy mosques. Sure we can marry upto 4 wives if we can handle them equally .. but Raping women.. fliritng with women..even engaging in talking with women is not allowed for us. The people will get corrupted when they don't follow the quran and sunnah of the prophet peace be upon him. I have friends who are muslims.. drink..commit adultery..read the quran and pray. A muslim is suppose to submit and stay away from all the illegal things not engage in them. These days its hard to find people like that but they still do exist.

Speaking of dhimmis, a fellow named Sheikh Marzouq Salem Al-Ghamdi, during a sermon at a mosque in Mecca a few years ago, said, "If the infidels live among the Muslims, in accordance with the conditions set out by the Prophet - there is nothing wrong with it provided they pay Jizya to the Islamic treasury. Other conditions are...that they do not renovate a church or monastary, do not rebuild ones that were destroyed, that they feed for three days any Mulsim who passes by their homes, that they rise when a Muslim wishes to sit, that they do not imitate the Muslims in speech or dress, nor ride horses, nor own swords, nor arm themsleves with any kind of weapons; that they do not sell wine, do not show the cross, do not ring church bells, do not raise their voices during prayer, that they shave their hair in the front so that they are easily identifiable, do not incite anyone against the Muslims, and do not strike a Muslim...If they violate these conditions, they have no protection."
It doesn't sound like dhimma was a joy then, and I doubt it will be a joy in the future if the Muslim believer fulfills his duty of taking the entire world in the name of Allah. I don't think that Visa and Mastercard would appreciate the competiton!

-- As for the last part .. we will let time tell.. wether that happens or not. Allah is able to do all things!

I have answered to the best of my knowledge. Hope this helps.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by XTasawwufX]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I do thank you for your responding to my questions; that is very much appreciated.
Yes, I am aware tha tyou are allowed to have up to four wives; I have had many Muslim friends, and I have this to say to you as I had to say to them, "What, one wife isn't headache enough!?!" LOL!
I am also aware that rape is not allowed, but that the victim had better have 4 male witnesses to back up her claim. The basis for this is founded in the Qur'un, in regard to Aisha being accused of infidelity. It is found in 24:13, "Why did they not produce four witnesses, they verily are liars in the sight of Allah." If I remember correctly, there have been incidences of women being raped and reporting it, but as it would happen, due to the fact there were not four witnesses, she was in turn found guilty of adultery. Most rapists don't do it in a crowd, so the woman is in a bad legal position to report of pursue a case, I'd say.

I have met some of the people to whom you refer, in so far as professing to be a Muslim but behaving inappropriately. For decades, the Saudis have sent people to the states for military helicopter training. Their attitude has always been the same; what happens in the states means nothing as they are not under the Sharia rule. Talk about party animals! But hey, don't feel lonesome; I know plenty of people who claim to be Christian, but if they were put on trial for that, there'd be not enough evidence to convict them. I imagine every faith has that problem, not just yours and mine.

I agree that time will tell what happens in the world, but it seems pretty clear to me in everything I have seen, and even been told by a couple of bold Muslims, that we will have three choices: Renounce our beliefs and become Muslim, pay heavy tax and live under the humilating treatment that is outlined as proper for those who are not Muslim, or refuse both options, at which time war is conducted against us. The manual, Reliance of the Traveller, talks about two Jihads, one being the spiritual warfare against the lower self, and the other, against the world of the infidels. There seems to be no room for mutual coexistence in Muhammad's view of the world, but conquest of the world by Islam, at which time there would be peace. Personally, I do not like that concept. I understand that you do, and I do not fault you for that as it is your religion, your belief. But don't worry about me, it's the credit card companies who will be really mad! Jizya will cut deeply into their profits, and they will not tolerate that!!

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I do thank you for your responding to my questions; that is very much appreciated.
Yes, I am aware tha tyou are allowed to have up to four wives; I have had many Muslim friends, and I have this to say to you as I had to say to them, "What, one wife isn't headache enough!?!" LOL!
I am also aware that rape is not allowed, but that the victim had better have 4 male witnesses to back up her claim. The basis for this is founded in the Qur'un, in regard to Aisha being accused of infidelity. It is found in 24:13, "Why did they not produce four witnesses, they verily are liars in the sight of Allah." If I remember correctly, there have been incidences of women being raped and reporting it, but as it would happen, due to the fact there were not four witnesses, she was in turn found guilty of adultery. Most rapists don't do it in a crowd, so the woman is in a bad legal position to report of pursue a case, I'd say.

I have met some of the people to whom you refer, in so far as professing to be a Muslim but behaving inappropriately. For decades, the Saudis have sent people to the states for military helicopter training. Their attitude has always been the same; what happens in the states means nothing as they are not under the Sharia rule. Talk about party animals! But hey, don't feel lonesome; I know plenty of people who claim to be Christian, but if they were put on trial for that, there'd be not enough evidence to convict them. I imagine every faith has that problem, not just yours and mine.

I agree that time will tell what happens in the world, but it seems pretty clear to me in everything I have seen, and even been told by a couple of bold Muslims, that we will have three choices: Renounce our beliefs and become Muslim, pay heavy tax and live under the humilating treatment that is outlined as proper for those who are not Muslim, or refuse both options, at which time war is conducted against us. The manual, Reliance of the Traveller, talks about two Jihads, one being the spiritual warfare against the lower self, and the other, against the world of the infidels. There seems to be no room for mutual coexistence in Muhammad's view of the world, but conquest of the world by Islam, at which time there would be peace. Personally, I do not like that concept. I understand that you do, and I do not fault you for that as it is your religion, your belief. But don't worry about me, it's the credit card companies who will be really mad! Jizya will cut deeply into their profits, and they will not tolerate that!!

Thomas.. I admire your knowledge. Looking forward to some interesting conversations on the board wih you.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Thank you very much; I love to read, and I love to talk to people who have different ideas and opinions. One can learn a great deal that way. I have enjoyed being around several Muslims whom I considered a friend, even though I was well aware that they couldn't totally consider me friend. The ones who were the most honest about their religion, not trying to play moderate or lie to gain posture, were the ones I respected most. While I would be a fool to not see the danger that faces my nation, my family and our way of life, I still have respect for those who are true Muslims, following the belief. I don't like lukewarm, regardless of what religion.

I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, enjoy the board.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
1) Do you know of any good, unbiased books or websites that simply describe Islam and its beliefs and history?

2) Do you know where I could a book or website that had the complete sharia law text? My understanding is that the sharia is considered second only to the Koran in value amongst all written texts. If such a text does not exist, or is not uniform in all Islamic areas, let me know that, too.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
1) Do you know of any good, unbiased books or websites that simply describe Islam and its beliefs and history?

Islam for dummies is good.. for more details see www.alinaam.org.za...

2) Do you know where I could a book or website that had the complete sharia law text? My understanding is that the sharia is considered second only to the Koran in value amongst all written texts. If such a text does not exist, or is not uniform in all Islamic areas, let me know that, too.

Shariah is derived firstly from the Quran and then hadith which is the conduct of the Prophet peace be upon him and his companions. Sunni muslims follow one of the 4 schools of thought being Hanafi..Maliki..Shafi..and Hanbali. All 4 agree on the majority they differ on slight diffrences. These 4 schools of thoughts have nothing to do with the Shias who are a majority in Iraq and Iran. Thats a whole other discussion.

Some sources for

Hanafi school of thought: www.alinaam.org.za...
and a website to ask q and a from this school of thought is www.askimam.org

Shafi - no online resources.. a q and a section at www.sunnipath.com

Hanbali - no online resources but a q and a at 63.175.194.25...

Maliki - ourworld.compuserve.com...
also guidinghelper.com... which is an excellent source for maliki fiqh.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
i've gotten this funny email about 911 in the koran (chap. 9 verse 11) is about waking the eagle and enraging him blah, blah, blah anyways it is not about that is it? isn' t it really about idolatry or something about the cow. what's the real deal there??

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hey vonwoolf. Surah 9, verse 11 has nothing to do with eagles or idolatory. Here it is:

9:11
But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity,- they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand.

You probably just got a meaningless forward.

Thomas Crowne:
It's adultery, not rape, that requires 4 witnesses to have the accusation backed up. You should check up on Surah 24 (which you quoted), and you will see what I mean. It does not refer to rape at all. You can understand that 4 witnesses will also be very hard to provide against adultery, thus the punishment is more a preventative measure. Any witness who is found to have commited perjury, has an even greater punishment. Rape is much more easily proven.
About the permission to marry 4 women, there are some heavy restrictions on that. You must provided for all of them well, and equally in both affection and wealth. If you cannot, it is better to marry only one. Check out Surah 4 to see about Islams treatment towards women.

About the 3 options for non-muslims, you got it a bit mixed up. The Jizya tax is a tax for the protection of the non-muslims. It is only applicable in times of war (when there is need for protection), and it can only be asked for if the governing Muslim body can practically offer that protection (I believe the test was that if a woman could travel with a caravan laden with gold and jewels from one end of the kingdom to another).

As for humiliating treatment, nothing could be further from the truth! Muslims are told to bear the company of non-believers with kindness and justice. If they come asking for protection, it must be given. They must be allowed to pray as they wish.
If you ask, I can provided you with the verses from the quran showing what I say, but that would be quite a quote-fest, so I'll restrain for now.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
XTasawwufX wrote:

The Hijab and the covering of the women is mentioned in the Quran

not wanting to hijack your thread here, but you have raised a couple of things that i really feel compelled to reply to.
I am getting really tired of hearing muslims say that the hijab is mentioned in the Quran and this is why women must wear it.
NOWHERE in the Quran does God order women to wear the hijab. Nowhere in the Quran is the word "hijab" even used in reference to womens heads.
The verse in surah an-nisa, says to draw their "covers" over their bosoms. The word used is (i think) khimar. Which generally means, cover. To me, therefore, as a muslim woman who doesnt speak arabic....that cover means my general clothing. Some commentators like to say it means head covering, and certainly, in some translations, the translators have taken the gross liberty of saying this too.
But nowhere does God say women should cover their heads. And i truly believe that if this was such an important part of religion, God would have mentioned it.

I will say now, i am one of a small number of muslims who do not take the Hadith (books of sayings and stories of Muhammad (pbuh)), as anything other than fiction.

Another point of yours was regarding the 72 virgins. In my humble opinion, this is one of the greatest myths about Islam. In response to the posters question about this, you could only quote hadith of tirmdhi.
That is because no such verse is in the Quran.

The words "hadith" and "sunnah" are synonomous in Islam, with the hadith (stories) of muhammad (pbuh) and the sunnah (way/example) of muhammad (pbuh).
It is interesting to note, however, that in the Quran, the only time "sunnah" is used, is when it is referring to the way of God, Himself.
The only time "hadith" is used is either when it is talking about the Quran itself, OR, when it is challenging muslims. (ie, what hadith will they believe in after this?)

I feel it is important to make these points, as i feel also that many muslims are completely off track these days. In following books written by those such as Bukhari, Tirmidhi, etc...people are abandoning the Quran.

Hardly any of the Shariah laws as they stand, have any basis in the Quran.

One such example is stoning to death.
This was always something i found hard to justify...when i first became muslim. And i realised later on, that it is because it is NOT part of islam.
Stoning is mentioned NOWHERE in the Quran. The punishment for adultery is 100 lashes.
Apostasy is not punishable in this life at all.
Even in the case of murder and the like, muslims (although they have the right to exact punishment on the criminal) are encouraged to forgive instead.

Anyway, sorry for butting in there. I just really feel strongly about this. I feel Islam has been totally hijacked. Not just by extremists, but by sunnis, shias and all other sects too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join