It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Will Reopen Nuclear Facility

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
well i think iran and any other countrie wanting peaceful nuclear technology should be able to have it. also why can a countrie that has nuclear weapons say "we can have them but you cant". i hope iran makes nu8clear weapons so that they can show up the us and are good buddy isreal to stop taking other countries soverinity or how ever you spell it (im tired).and now isreal wont be the big guy in the mideast,i dont hate isreal or us but i believe in check and balance.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikem2939
well i think iran and any other countrie wanting peaceful nuclear technology should be able to have it. also why can a countrie that has nuclear weapons say "we can have them but you cant". i hope iran makes nu8clear weapons so that they can show up the us and are good buddy isreal to stop taking other countries soverinity or how ever you spell it (im tired).and now isreal wont be the big guy in the mideast,i dont hate isreal or us but i believe in check and balance.

Yes, but unfortunately Israel doesn't see Iran having nukes as a balance. Balance to them is "we've got nukes and all the countries surrounding us that all happen to hate us don't have nukes - that keeps us safe". As soon as one of those countries gets nukes the balance slips as far as Israel is concerned. That's why they won't let it happen. People should not underestimate Israel's feelings on this, or the lengths they will go to in this matter.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Update

(CNN) -- Iran has told the international atomic watchdog agency that it would refrain for now from breaking seals at a nuclear plant, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

The officials said that Iran told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) of its decision not to break the seals placed by U.N. monitors, which would indicate a resumption of nuclear activity.

The seals are on nuclear program-related material at a nuclear plant near Isfahan in central Iran.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yes, I did err when I said that they weren't permitting investigations. I mistook the IAEA's strong statements against Iran as being around no permitting inspections, whereas it was over numerous other infractions, non-disclosures, and other worrying activities.
IAEA Board Report, 13 March 2004 [pdf]

(f) Noting with serious concern that the declarations made by Iran in October 2003 did not amount to the complete and final picture of Iran’s past and present nuclear programme considered essential by the Board’s November 2003 resolution, in that the Agency has since uncovered a number of omissions -- e.g., a more advanced centrifuge design than previously declared, including associated research, manufacturing and esting activities; two mass spectrometers used in the laser enrichment programme; and designs for the construction of hot cells at the Arak heavy water research reactor -- which require further investigation, not least as yhey may point to nuclear activities not so far acknowledged by Iran

(g) Noting with equal concern that Iran has not resolved all questions regarding the development of its enrichment technology to its current extent, and that a number of other questions remain unresolved, including the sources of all HEU contamination in Iran; the location, extent, and nature of work undertaken on the basis of the advanced centrifuge design; the nature, extent and purpose of activities involving the planned heavy-water reactor; and evidence to support claims regarding the purpose of polonium-210 experiments

Deplores that Iran, as detailed in the report by the Director General, omitted any reference, in its letter of 21 October 2003 which was to have provided the "full scope of Iranian nuclear activities" and a "complete centrifuge R&D chronology", to its possession of P-2 centrifuge design drawings and to associated research, manufacturing, and mechanical testing activities -- which the Director General describes as "a matter of serious concern, particularly in view of the importance and sensitivity of those activities";

IAEA Board Report, 15 November 2004 [pdf]

Strongly urged that Iran respond positively to the Director General’s findings on the provision of access and information by taking such steps as are required by the Agency and/or requested by the Board in relation to the implementation of Iran’s Safeguards Agreement, including the provision of prompt access to locations and personnel,

13. In February 2003, Iran acknowledged that it had imported in 1991 natural uranium, in a variety of forms, which it had not previously reported to the Agency, and that it had used some of these materials, at locations which had not previously been reported to the Agency, for testing certain parts of the UCF conversion process (i.e. uranium dissolution, purification using pulse columns and the production of uranium metal).

Based on all information currently available to the Agency, it is clear that Iran has failed in a number of instances over an extended period of time to meet its obligations under its Safeguards Agreement with respect to the reporting of nuclear material, its processing and its use, as well as the declaration of facilities where such material has been processed and stored.

And the Safeguards Agreement is part of the NPT.

Resolution, 29 November 2004 [pdf]

Noting with appreciation the Director General’s report[Nov. 2004]on the implementation of Iran’s NPT Safeguards Agreement

(c) Noting specifically the Director General’s assessment that Iranian practices up to October 2003 resulted in many breaches of Iran’s obligations to comply with its Safeguards Agreement, but that good progress has been made since that time in Iran’s correction of those breaches and in the Agency’s ability to confirm certain aspects of Iran’s current declarations,

Here is the Iran Safeguards Agreement [pdf] from 1974.

That second report demonstrates many cases in which iran stated it was doing one thing, and then after the fact revealed that it had actually done something completely different with the materials, and that they also often failed to keep proper records of the materials and as such the IAEA can't even determine what precisely is going on with some of these things.

They have a nuke tech program. That is perfectly legal. It must only be used for peaceful puprposes. They are lying about what specifically they are doing with certain aspects of it. They are clearly not fully cooperating with the IAEA, they've even gone so far as to gather materials without letting them know and then process them at previously undisclosed locations.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikem2939
and now isreal wont be the big guy in the mideast

Yes they will, because when Iran develops nuclear weapons Israel will have to show they are still the big guys and attack Iran, and it only right!

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Iran Has Resumed Uranium Processing!

Originally From BBC News
Iran says it has resumed work at its uranium conversion facility near the city of Isfahan.
Mohammad Saeedi, deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation, made the announcement at the Isfahan plant.
He said work at the plant where uranium conversion has taken place in the past had resumed under the supervision of the UN's nuclear watchdog.

Mic

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
And they are allowed to convert that Uranium under the NPT. No laws or treaties broken. Whats the big deal?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
And they are allowed to convert that Uranium under the NPT. No laws or treaties broken. Whats the big deal?

thats what i wanted to know,
EU are still calling an IAEA meeting tomorrow and the US are backing the UN route. All the news stations are talking about UN sanctions, im really confused about this

top topics

<< 1   >>

join