It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a conspiracy site!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This trhread raises some valid points. Should active dissention be allowed on a site like this, or should the majority rule and weed those out that don't conform?(hhhhmmmmmm......sound familiar?) I suspect there are those in here who may be of like mind to mine, that is to say there are many theories that i would very much like to give creedence to. However, I want to be convinced by , others' proof, experience, coviction etc. I desperately wnt to believe in UFO'S, life on other planets. I seriously need to decide what exactly religion is, something real or just a way for the actions of man to be controlled by man. Or something as simple as a story made up by mankind to reason out the question "why are we here?" Alas, i digress. Anyway, we whom you would label skeptics may just be looking for someone to convince us that you may be right.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Although the main theme of the site is conspiracy discussions it would appear that it offers more than that. I think the news section is well done. Balance is always a good thing and can actually help develop debates further along. If you have a group that all think the same way then you are just patting each other on the back. Have challenges put in front of us will often cause us to re-look at issues and can be a great learning experience whether you are a "believer" or "non-believer". Since "deny ignorance" seems to be the motto according to the banners, welcoming all perspectives would be positive.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
as a skeptic I'll weigh in on a few things.

First and foremost , the requests for proof usually acompany a post subject headline that is structured as a declaration of fact.

"the reptilians control the british royal family, its a fact"

If it were posed as a theory or a question to the community, there would be better input.

"why I think the british royal family might be reptilians"
or
"do you think the british royal family might be reptilians ?"

also, I'd argue maybe 1% of the people here believe in ALL the conspiracies you can find in the huge variation of forums, from vampires to UFO's to the NWO

So you are naturally going to attract people to these boards that don't subscribe to ALL the theories, and that means more skeptics.

I came here as a result of an e-mail I got with a picture of the largest grizzly ever photographed. Sadly, it was thre result of a hunt, but it was real. I noticed it came from a website, anomalies.co or something like that, so I went there to poke around. I stumbled onto the Denver Airpirt thing. I had never heard of the NWO or Illuminati, so I stared researching it.

Google leads to ATS !

the last point, is where else can you debate reptilian's from the 4th dimension with smart people who just have different beliefs than you ?

its like brain exercise

cheers

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
I ask why it is today, ATS's membership now includes a large percentage age of non believers?

Because ATS has been succesful in denying ignorance???

This is a conspiracy site. We come here to talk about these issues, not debate or prove their authenticity to the skeptical.

This is a discussion site. The topics range from the weird and paranormal to the secretive and conspiratorial.

I feel that these intruders have compromised the "brotherhood" I once felt here. Why are they here? I think only to discredit and discourage the expansion of our ideals.

What ideals? Anyone calmly and cooly discussing the topics at hand are following the actual ideals of ATS. They are denying ignorance, no matter what 'side' they are on. "Sides" is a bit of a misnomer anyway. Lots of people are considered 'debunkers' in one forum and conspiracy theorists in the next. Just because a person agrees with some conspiracy theories doesn't mean that they have to agree with them all.

Indeed, there are so many conspiracy theories out there, and many that are even contradictory to one another, that its immpossible that there won't be large numbers of discussions here wherein the theories are 'debunked'.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I don't think I agree with you.

A conspiracy site lists conspiracies and some form of evidence or proof. Like anywhere else, don't believe everything you read. Some creeps do it on purpose (provide false info) some do it by accident-really thinking it is true.

For Example, I believe in Aliens, but you must still prove it to me on a case by case basis-I won't buy every BS story.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've seen what happens to conspiracy based discussion forums that boot out "debunkers."

They generally wither away to a few hardcore loudmouths.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I've spent years contemplating my paranormal experiences and looking for my own "truth." Nevertheless, I can't prove anything. Who really can? Anybody can list names, documents or links. So what. There is no truth, only perspective.

I have loved this site for years. It is my only recourse in a world where I'm different. Thanks to all who acknowledge without judgment.

To all vegetarian, women, homosexual and pro-choice, etc., bashers; don't you have homework to do or something?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
Nevertheless, I can't prove anything. Who really can?

Um, there is proof everywhere.
There are far too many items on this forum that fall into the "God" theory where it can't be proven or unproven and it is a little too conveinient way to just express a thought for some.

ANYWAY...
about the skeptics..

From what I have seen here, this site NEEDS skeptics, badly.
There are a lot of useful threads with very detailed theories, apparent evidence to back them up and presented in a logical fashion.

I LOVE those, because even though I am a skeptic, I love conspiracies!

At the same time, there are hundreds of posts that are nonsensical and ridiculous with no evidence, facts, or consensus of opinion.

There are posters who post just to post and to incite something else entirely, I think it is a bit odd how out there some of the stuff is, but "out there" for me is "normal" for someone else.

I wouldn't expect anyone to believe me if I told them
"I saw Bigfoot last Monday in my backyard but my camera was out of film so I don't have a shot, but it's true, it's true"

Skeptics are here for a valid reason and if you are of the mind that we are useless, then you can't possibly be getting anything good from this website.

If all skeptics were "banned" how would this site end up?
If all you want is someone to say “Wow man, that is SO right...” you should start you're own website.
Most real Skeptics WANT to believe, but they just can't accept just and only just, your individual say so.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
To pursue truth, different perspectives are an absolute necessity. My reference was aimed exclusively at the "bashers" who post only to criticize, provoke or ridicule. I'm sorry, but I still believe ATS would be vastly improved without their antagonizing.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It goes both ways, believe me. There are those who support their pet conspiracy theories to the point where they bash, to criticize, provoke or ridicule anyone who dares to question them on it, especially when the "bashers" as you call them base their criticisms on science and logic, or a fundamental appreciation of basic human behavior.

Although, personally I don't mind that too much. It just means that the other person has run out of valid arguments.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
Most real Skeptics WANT to believe, but they just can't accept just and only just, your individual say so.

Link?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Link!

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sceptics makes the site go round.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Why can't this be simple?

If you make a claim - be prepared to back it up. Evidence can take many forms, but there needs to be something other than "The Big Bad People From The Government/Country/Nation/Industry Have Done [insert allegation du jour] - And That's a FACT!". An accusation doth not a truth maketh.

And likewise..if you rebuke a claim, give yer darn reasons why! You don't think the earth is round? Great! Give me a reason why. Don't believe that I was abducted by chickens when I was 3 and as a result lay three golden eggs every other full moon? Be prepared to offer your reasons why my claim isn't logical.

Oh.

And my own widdle 3 commandments:

Thou Shalt Snopes.
Thou Shalt Also Google.
Thou Shalt Not Expect Others To Have To Find Their Own Sources For Thou's Own Claimages.

The End.

(Did someone already say all of this? If they did, I missed it. I'm sorry.)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join