It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Hissy Fits (Star Wars)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Why has Russia threatened the United States by saying they will shoot down whatever type of weapon America chooses to put into orbit. Is it because Russia does not have the money needed to fund and deliver such a product of their own so that they have to threaten others not to do what they wish they could do?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Because :

a. It would be against unilateral agreements not to occupy space. Putting weapon there would be occupation

b. It would be a severe power shift

c. It would be a particular threat to ALL countries

d. it would cross the thin red line that noone else wants to cross

e. The Russians are very well capable of putting up a space weapon. It might not be as accurate, it might not be as sophisticated, but it would be a weapon that could get the job done. France might be able to do it, too.

The thing is, it is not Russia that threatens the US. It is the US that threatens the status quo and all other countries that dont have such plans.

[edit on 27/7/2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
There's a thing called a Fractional Orbital Bombardment System or FOBS, if this is what they are referring to, and it is a war starter. Ironically, the first FOBS system was a Russian R-36 missile that could orbit its payload, once in orbit the payload could be de-orbited onto its target at any time. As such a FOBS is basically some nuclear weapons on an orbiting platform and is perfect for a decapitating first strike. The ammount of warning you might receive is negligible as there is no easily detectable launch phase and the platform might be orbiting over or near the target when the command is given to 'drop' its payload. FOBS is the nuclear equivalent of having someone hold a gun to your head while yours is still on the gun rack in front of you. WMD in space are illegal under the terms of the Outer Space Treaty of 1967. FOBS was specifically made illegal under the terms of the START II treaty of 1979.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by Cilandak]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Here Russia has had anti satealites in space for decades. "Now a new arms race in space: Soviet satellite killer," U.S. News & World Report, 83:28, November 14, 1977

"Soviets test another killer satellite: Cosmos 970," Aviation Weekly, 108:21, January 2, 1978

"Targeting a hunter-killer: anti-satellite interceptor (ASAT)," Time, 110:10, October 17, 1977

"Soviet killer satellites: U.S. ponders a response," D. Shapley, Science, 193:865-6, September 3, 1976

"Soviets test killer spacecraft," Aviation Weekly, 109:17, October 30, 1978

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
its about maintaining a balance of power and not having the threat of one nation having too much control over the planet. You might think that its a great idea, but how do you think the rest of us would feel having US space weapons hanging over us?? not too good.

Russians have the technical knowhow for space weapons, just they dont have the money. Here is the Energiya Polyus testbed from the 1980s. It was launched into space but the rocket had a guidance error in its computer software and failed in flight.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the cyrilic lettering on that very sinister looking payload on that Energia booster say "peace?"

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cilandak
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the cyrilic lettering on that very sinister looking payload on that Energia booster say "peace?"

yes it says mir-2. On the side of it, it also says polyus

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
the energiya booster was also used for launching the russian shuttle - Buran

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Its not just Russia that has a problem with this. I believe China does too and both countries (Russia and China) have told their views to the USA about our weapons in space program.

Im pretty sure with Russian tech and China's growing economy they do have the ability to shoot down our stuff in outerspace

[edit on 28-7-2005 by supertran]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
There is an issue with the 1979 UN Space Treaty here. Space by definition is neutral terratory and doesn't belong to any Nation. While the military is allowed to use outer space for things like communication relay and spying, technically they aren't supposed to put perment weapon platforms out there because that would violate the definiton of Neutral Territory. This is also why there are no permanent armed military post in Antarctic or for out in the open ocean. Star Wars (in theory) would allow the US military to control which nations could have access to space and when, because the system could be used to target ANY rocket heading for orbit, not just those carrying a nuclear payload! We (The USA) don't have the leagle right to contole which nation do and don't have the right to use outer space, because we don't own it!

Tim

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
We (The USA) don't have the leagle right to contole which nation do and don't have the right to use outer space, because we don't own it!

Tim

such logic wont work on the neocon mind...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips
Why has Russia threatened the United States by saying they will shoot down whatever type of weapon America chooses to put into orbit. Is it because Russia does not have the money needed to fund and deliver such a product of their own so that they have to threaten others not to do what they wish they could do?

Is there a link to a news source which claims that Russia will shoot down any space weapons platforms?
Not that I dont believe you I just want to get the full story before I comment.

Also, is there a way that Dr Funk could make that image smaller ?

[edit on 7/28/2005 by bios]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
its nice to hear from the US citizens that they believe in balance of power..etc etc...but the US govt dont seem to believe on all these internationally accepted ethics

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by prelude
its nice to hear from the US citizens that they believe in balance of power..etc etc...but the US govt dont seem to believe on all these internationally accepted ethics

Of course! Sadly, I see ethics eventually becoming America's down fall.

The mark of true leadership, weather it's by a person, a small group, or a huge nation, is having a standard of Ethics to live by. Ethics means learning to draw the line on your own. It also means doing what it right, if your being watched or not. Balancing power and Keep the threat of Nuclear Weapons in check is a moral obligation of all Nations. We have all seen pictures of the horror of these weapons in pictures from World War 2. It is up to the world as a whole to make sure such Terror is never Again unleashed against mankind, by anyone!

I was Born and raised in America. I'm very patriotic! I support our armed force as they defend us and help others! However I Do NOT believe the individuals who run my government always do the right things!

Ethics is NOT about what you do in front of the world. It's not about being popular. It IS about Doing the RIGHT THING EVEN when you are NOT being watched or when it makes you Unpopular!

Tim

new topics

top topics

join