It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Raptor capable of this...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Going from a trusted source, it was stated that the top test speed was 2.83 mach. However, this was on a modified plane, so I'm not sure how heavily modified it was (or what those mods were). I do know it wasn't on a VTOL modified version. (as that was my first question). My second question was how did it affect the stealth, and the answer was that the mods still enabled stealth, just with a bit greater profile. Probably modified intakes, but I'm guessing on that one.

A lot of their project had to do with modification to the plane to fit different mission profiles (to produce variants). Of course, this was prior to the JSF, so.... (a lot of lessons learned though, did make it into the JSF).

However, since I can't name the source, or how he'd be intimate with such details (except to say he worked on a Raptor project), just have to take it with a grain of salt. I don't offer anything more or less than just this hearsay.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
I do know it wasn't on a VTOL modified version. (as that was my first question).

The F-22 has never had a VTOL or even a STOL modified version.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
May be the Raptor will be the start for a futur 6th gen fighter and in fact the futur F/x will be a modified Raptor may be. A lot of people want to restart the F-22 production line it will be for sure a great start for a 6th gen , something like a super Raptor.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Will need all new tooling to layup the newfangled F35 like Stealth coat.They will have to haul out the complete avionics package as well and update it.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The F-22 has never had a VTOL or even a STOL modified version.

Not in production, no. As I stated, this was a project where modifications were tested.
As I understand it, was more of an STOL variant vs. true VTOL, but he was so excited about it, that he used the term VTOL.

Of course, he could have been blowing smoke up my arse too (which is why I stated to take it with a grain of salt), but he was pretty serious, and certainly in a position to know as this is what he worked on. He's consistently been an avionics engineer on projects for Boeing, Sikorsky, Lockheed (specifically Raptors), etc.
edit on 11-5-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Allegedly, a Raptor pilot was quoted as saying that the aircraft can supercruise (above Mach 1) at sea level, without using afterburner. In order to "break through the Mach", it probably needs min-burner, but once there, the aircraft can apparently cruise above the speed of sound in very dense air. It is also rumored that the plane can hit Mach 1.4 on the deck, making it arguably the fastest operational fighter down in the weeds. Things to consider for high-speed flight: directional stability at a certain airspeed, skin air-friction heating, airframe strength (low-altitude flight), engine inlet design (fixed/'S' duct versus variable inlet geometry for controlling shockwaves) and overall engine performance (tolerance to heat and over-pressure along with thrust generating ability at high altitude).
edit on 5-16-2016 by JMH61 because: Minor changes

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join