It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i joined the military

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
congratulations and well done Twix , having spent twelve years in the Royal Navy and having served in the Falklands i know that you will make friendships that cannot be made in any other walk of life.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
It's not for everyone, but a lot of folks really find it a rewarding experience.
...after boot camp, that is.

Yeah...In boot camp, you learn only a very few things: First, you meet people who become potential friends & then have to meet them all over again after that first haircut;
You learn how to operate a broom & mop better than any other tools;
You learn to memorize each little detail of the back of someone else's nearly bald head;
You learn how to keep close track of your shoeshine kit & tie your socks to the beltloops of your pants;
And you learn how to tolerate a 300 lb. buck sergeant DI screaming in your face without even so much as a twitch in your own face.

After boot camp, you learn how to do that all over again, with the frequent inspections & non-comm officers "office politics". If you happen to get to hang aournd with real officers, you'll learn that the "office politics" are played a bit more politely, but no less deadly.

If you happen to get into some kind of non-combat specialty (in the Marines, I don't even know if there are any), you'd might even learn to prefer enemy fire above & beyond the non-enemy fire.

Don't I know it...well said midnightr
except my D.I. was a little black guy @4'10" 100 pounds dripping wet, and the object of my worst nightmares! That is until the day he handed me that eagle, globe, and anchor and called me "Marine"...still chokes me up..

[edit on 14-8-2005 by oveon]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twix
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

MARINE

CORPS

sorry? lol good luck i guess lol

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
well semper fi there soon to be devildog!

6 years in the corps here.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twix
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

MARINE

CORPS

Semper Fi little bro. Let me promise you three things, just so there won't be any surprises:
1. You will one day remember your drill instructors as the greatest men you ever knew.
2. You won't like them.
3. If and When you make it, people will never look at you the same.

If you have any questions about what to expect in boot, feel fee to U2U me. I graduated December 17th, 2003 (got out early due to injury) so I suspect not much has changed since I was on the depot.

When do you leave? Unless you were already in the DEP I suspect you're still around- I had to wait months for boot when I enlisted.

BTW- big tip I give to all my friends when they go: there's a secret to pugil sticks that my Senior Drill Instructor taught me- I got BEAT DOWN in my first 3 matches, but after he told me this, i mopped the floor with my opponent in the "thunder dome".
You run up on him fast, and at the last second, you dip your stick and jab for the face. Most recruits prefer the buttstroke, but it's easy to block. A thrust will get the job done- wherever his head goes, his body will follow. Start with the thrust, then just keep swinging- don't wait for an opening, don't back up.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
As Djarums and others mentioned, congratulations and best wishes to those who have joined the military. Its not for everyone, undoubtedly.

Served from 1989 to 1999, and 8+ years as an Air Force PJ.
I have a number of aviator friends who are still currently in the Marines.
Great guys and great people.

Need anything, give me a holler.
My best goes out to all of you.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
hey dont forget something. This is a great lession my drill instructors taught me that i never really learned untill after a few years into my duty. EVERYTHING your taught in boot camp is for a reason. it's to keep you alive and your brothers alive....but here's the biggest adivce i can give.

BE ON TIME!!!! we've all heard it before, "if your on time, your late. If your early, your ontime." but now i'm going to put it like this, and the rest of the military folks on this sight especially the marines will back me up on this.

If your not where you're supposed to be when your supposed to be there. SOMEONE DIES!!! every MOS in the corps supports the grunts, even if you dump trash. If you dont do it someone else will have to in your place, and then the Radar that guy was supposted to be watching doesnt get watched and an enemy plane comes in unnoticed and drops a bomb on a platoon of your brothers. (over exaduration i know!!!) but the point is. IF your not ontime, SOMEONE DIES.

The marine corps will help you out emencly threw your life, when i applied to the secret service it defenatly looked really good on my resume. it actually secured my position i have now. So trust me: Keep your head up, Stay motivated, Be ontime, AND LEARN ALL YOU CAN brother.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by umwolves123]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join