It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i joined the military

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwen

Originally posted by Twix
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

MARINE

CORPS

So you join the service...best of luck.

Here a little something that may help you out during time of disconfort...
www.big-boys.com...

That was really funny...

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Outstanding Twix! What is your MOS?

Roper, dad of a USMC Scout.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Roper]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Wow it sure is weird to see and hear about people willingly joining a government that consistently lies to the world over it's motives and actions only to perpetrate global control over resources and political power while at the same time poisioning their troops with Depleted Uranium and probably having 80%+-?? civilian > insurgent casualties

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If the marines is your choice then so be it. I hope you enjoy your service and I hope you have a peaceful on at that. Too many good men die in the military, so dont do anything silly and listen to orders

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Listen, you promise me something, okay? Just if you're ever in trouble, don't try to be brave, you just run, okay? Just run away.

Good luck with the military, sincerely, I wish you the best. Thanks buddy.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Wow...

There's some downright terrible advice on this thread!

"Don't be a hero.." "Run away."

Why bother joining then?

If you don't want to be a hero, stay home and take care of your family.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Marines can have families too ya know.

sporty

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Of course they can, but military families are worse off than civilian households.

They have skyrocketing divorce rates, subsistence wages, constant travel and the insecurity of never knowing whether daddy will come home whole. It's easier to raise a family when you don't get paid Quicky Mart wages to shoot people for a living.

I have NOTHING against marines, just to clarify.

Here's a funny joke...

Three guys are lined up at the urinal, a Marine, a Squid, and a Flyboy. The Squid finishes first, shakes, zips up, and proceeds to the sink to wash his hands. The Flyboy finishes second, and does the same. The Marine finishes, shakes, and zips, then heads for the door. The Squid turns to him and says "Oy, in the Air Force they teach us to wash our hands before leaving the bathroom." The Marine chuckles and replies "In the Marines they teach us not to piss on our hands."

I love that joke.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Of course they can, but military families are worse off than civilian households.

You got proof? There is more to being a family than money ya know.....

They have skyrocketing divorce rates

I agree with ya there...

subsistence wages, constant travel and the insecurity of never knowing whether daddy will come home whole.

Military wages are a little above average minimum wage, factor in the "free" housing and exchange/commisary priviledges, free medical and dental etc...etc...

Umm, it's just like any other job (with the exception of going to war)...dad goes to work at 0730 and gets home at XX30 after picking up the kids from daycare. Kids don't worry about dad dying....he's alot safer on base than off base.

For the single guy, It's awesome. It's has it's ups and downs.....Im happy and don't regret it, but it just aint for me...Im moving on to bigger and better things when I get out.

sporty

EDIT: maybe Marg can give some good insite on this....I think she's married to a Marine.

[edit on 24/7/2005 by SportyMB]

[edit on 24/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Wow...

There's some downright terrible advice on this thread!

"Don't be a hero.." "Run away."

Why bother joining then?

My advice was from Forrest Gump when he's heading to Vietnam, it was just a joke.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Mr Dead
Okay, gotcha.

Sporty
No offense intended, just a sad fact of life that military families struggle to make ends meet. I think it's entirely innapropriate to run a volunteer army and pay slave wages.

www.globalpolicy.org...

www.spokesmanreview.com...

www.alternet.org...

www.defenselink.mil...

www.thinkandask.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
WyrdOne, I agree...I should have clarified.

I meant to say Military wages are a little above average minimum wage

I edited my last post.

Also, many families do quit well (not as many as one would think). In the end, it all comes down to the decisions they make.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by evanfitz

I think Skippy is experiencing a burn.

No. I dont think so. A quote from the most effective general in history is nothing get burned over. Especially over comments from Souljah, he may as well be shooting US Marines in Iraq. If he isnt already...

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twix
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

MARINE

CORPS

Congrats, Twix! I hope you're prepared for a challenging experience!

My nephew just got out of the Marines; another is still in the Army. It's not for everyone, but a lot of folks really find it a rewarding experience.

...after boot camp, that is.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Congrats Twix, stay safe. Good luck in boot camp. make sure u aim yer rifle in the right direction where the enemy fire is. one more good advice is to laugh at the drill instructors as they scream at u, wanna know why? because it helps leave the stress and fear while DI is screamin at u in yer face, kinda like making a humor while in life and death situations in battlefields. just kidding.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by evanfitz

I think Skippy is experiencing a burn.

No. I dont think so. A quote from the most effective general in history is nothing get burned over. Especially over comments from Souljah, he may as well be shooting US Marines in Iraq. If he isnt already...

Are You Talking About me "Shooting US Marines in Iraq"?

Skippy, do I need to Comment?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Good luck to our members who have recently joined the armed forces.

I wish both of you a safe return as soon as possible, and I'm sure that everyone else here wishes you the same thing, some just have their political battle helmets strapped on a little too tightly.

Try to check in from abroad (if you'll be serving overseas) whenever possible as it's very exciting to hear field updates.

Good luck to you!

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
It's not for everyone, but a lot of folks really find it a rewarding experience.
...after boot camp, that is.

Yeah...In boot camp, you learn only a very few things: First, you meet people who become potential friends & then have to meet them all over again after that first haircut;
You learn how to operate a broom & mop better than any other tools;
You learn to memorize each little detail of the back of someone else's nearly bald head;
You learn how to keep close track of your shoeshine kit & tie your socks to the beltloops of your pants;
And you learn how to tolerate a 300 lb. buck sergeant DI screaming in your face without even so much as a twitch in your own face.

After boot camp, you learn how to do that all over again, with the frequent inspections & non-comm officers "office politics". If you happen to get to hang aournd with real officers, you'll learn that the "office politics" are played a bit more politely, but no less deadly.

If you happen to get into some kind of non-combat specialty (in the Marines, I don't even know if there are any), you'd might even learn to prefer enemy fire above & beyond the non-enemy fire.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Welcome to the Occupation Dreamland

Click on the big picture and watch the clip.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
congrats twix!

my fella is in the corp as well. he's been in for 17yrs. you will definitely develop friendships that will last a life time. he has friends that he still sees from bootcamp.

he's a gunnery sgt stationed at littlecreek in norfolk,va.

congrats and best of luck.

ooooo yahhhhh marine.

angie

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join