It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You must be finger printed/scanned to enter Disney World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I did a search and was surprised that nobody has posted this yet.
We did discuss in the past that Disney prints you for lockers but now you must be scanned for entry.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although Disney says that they are not storing day pass entries they did not mention what they are doing with the scans from those with multi-day or seasonal passes or what thrid parties might have access to these scans. They claim this is an effort to prevent people from sharing passes.

Well heck! Then why don't they just scan your photo into the pass? Maybe they have a big problem with identical twins cheating them?

This will also be implemented in the Florida locations.

freeinternetpress.com...

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Lanotom]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is actually already implemented in MANY FL theme parks...

Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, etc. Pretty much, I believe this is just for passholders...so you don't let someone borrow your pass. Yes, a photo would be a much more preferred means, but them's the breaks. I'm a passholder of all of the above and have to put my hand on the pad each time (which I can never quite line up with those damn pins well). Likewise, my prints are already in the FBI database, due to past security work, so not like I care too much...and I've got nothing to hide there....

Helpful hint from a theme park vet, if you stay at the Lowes resort hotels (Orlando) near Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios, your room key works as an all day express pass. (less line waiting) Also, the more you stay in the resorts, eventually, you'll get a nice suite for the same price as the cheapo rooms...

The big problem with photos is the time... Time to take them, print them on the ticket, etc. Personally, I preferred it though...

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Disney World has had this for over a decade. I used to live in the Orlando area and usually had a Disney annual pass when I was in high school, and they implemented this sometime during that time. It's a security measure to insure the passes aren't shared.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ditto what Gazrok just said. I took the fam to WDW back in March. Hand scans were not necessary because we didn't have annual passes. A co-worker that does have AP's confirms the hand scanner ID confirmaiton method.
I'm making another trip to Orlando in August, and as long as the weather holds out (i.e. no huricanes), I'll be checking out Islands of Adventure.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think they prefer hand scans over photos because they're more accurate. Brothers or sisters (probably the most likely people to share a pass) often look enough alike to get by with a photo while the handscan would differentiate them.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The big problem with photos is the time... Time to take them, print them on the ticket, etc. Personally, I preferred it though...

Time? I bet it takes more time when you have to line up your hand then they have to keep wiping smudges from peoples sticky and dirty hands.

The simple method would be just as BJ's Wholesale Club does.

They use a Symbol handheld scanner camera and the picture comes out on your card in 10 seconds. How's that for waiting?

[edit on 21-7-2005 by Lanotom]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
[edit on 23-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
the reason they finger print you is because the government wants to keep track of everyone. its bs the government needs to leave us alone and let us take america back and run it like it was ment to be. free freee freeee

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Hey all,

Apparently the originator of this thread didn't read the most current message on the thread he/she referenced.

POST #: 1510499

As you can see and research for yourself, there is no fingerprint scanning taking place.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Apparently you didn't read the title. It also says scanned.

And it's still a biometric finger scan that stores biometric data. It's an identifier linked to other personal information that you are forced to submit.

Now what about people who retain water and have swollen hands at times? A picture on a card would certainly prevent the hassles and delays that this scan system will bring.

And to top it off Disney says, be sure to have an ID with you in case your "finger scan" does not work.

:LOL: So whats the purpose of the scan if they'll simply take your picture ID?

How do I enter the park with this ticket?
www.magictrips.com...

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts
Hey all,

Apparently the originator of this thread didn't read the most current message on the thread he/she referenced.

POST #: 1510499

As you can see and research for yourself, there is no fingerprint scanning taking place.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by Lanotom]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
sigh, if you want to get technical about it, nothing is "scanned' either. You can look into this yourself. There is no scanner of any sort involved. The sky isn't falling as fast as you think.

Apparently you think I am agreeing with the operation. If you read my posts on the other thread where this was discussed, I don't. You can opt out of the entire imprinting process with an ID.

Also, this thread says "you must be fingerprinted/scanned to enter Disney World". As I pointed out, this is FALSE.

So, if this thread were started again, it should read "You may agree to have the width of your fingers measured OR present an ID to enter Disney World."

Not as "sexy" a title is it?

It is a pretty useless system, but like you said, you've already given Disney World other information to enter their "city". What's the REAL harm of adding the width of your fingers? IF they were taking your picture, that would be much more intrusive, as your identity can be legally verified in that manner. Lots of people have the same sized hands, so it's a pretty random and useless bit of biometric info if you think about it.

Read my posts. I am not making an argument for or against "biometric" identification. However, this thread is based on a false statement.

Nothing scanned. No fingerprints involved. You DON'T even have to do it. Misleading thread title.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm not here to argue with you. If you felt mislead by the title then my apologies to you.

But understand, I have contacted Disney and even they are calling the procedure a finger scan. Also you may not opt-out with an ID this is only if the finger scan fails.

Here you can learn more about the actual biometric hand scanner that is used.

www.epa.gov...

Nothing scanned. No fingerprints involved. You DON'T even have to do it. Misleading thread title.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
OK. It is a "finger scan".

I urge anyone interested to visit this disney page:
secure.disney.go.com... cp=1
and tell them that they have lost the future business of your whole family, relatives, social group, etc.

If you drove to the park, they've got your license plate. (They take photos as you enter.) And because Disney World has it's own "police force" they can get anything they want on you with that alone, including your fingerprints if they really want them. They own you already. So that's already scary. A legitimate ID number does the same thing.

Two libraries in the US use actual fingerprints for PC time. Apparently some police forces now want fingerprints at the site of a traffic violation. That's government and thus more scary to me.

I still don't doubt that you can refuse, as apparently people do, and use an ID instead. They won't broadcast this though because that would defeat whatever purpose they've implemented this biometrics for. Someone in an office answering a phone will not broadcast this either. They'll assume you're not serious, etc. and will want the gate personnel to deal with it anyway. Trust me, these people do not like their jobs.

You can refuse to do a lot of things that are "necessary". For instance, in most cases where your social # is asked for. Again, notice it doesn't say that on the form. They can ASK for whatever they want (just like they ask for religion or race some times). You DON'T always have to answer. A lot of places ask for it as a "scare tactic" and never do anything with the social security number other than maybe use it as a filing #. It is easy to look up fake social security numbers that have been used on public examples, etc.

If someone still wants to give money to these bozo's (and that's an unfair statement to THE Bozo (the clown)) then use one of these:

1. Refuse and stick to it. I don't doubt you will be able to use an ID as people have done. They want your money. Wear a Mickey Mouse shirt and a stupid hat. They'll think you're going to spend even more.

2. Make claws with your hands because your arthritis is acting up.

3. If they discriminate against you as a sufferer of arthritis, which would be a lawsuit, start asking for a printed legal statement on the use of the biometric machines. Ask to see a supervisor. Once again, none of the trouble will be worth it to them, you'll go right through.

4. Wear a strange article of clothing and tell them that it is against your religion to allow such machines to take personal information. This opens them up to possible religious discrimination.

5. Come up with something else in five minutes like I did.

So, on the biometrics being used, I hate it. I hate that workarounds need to be used or "demanded". I understand that this unique piece of information can be used to potentially link individuals to still more databases.

I say, fight power with power. Exercise your rights. Be creative and have fun with it.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

1. Refuse and stick to it. I don't doubt you will be able to use an ID as people have done. They want your money. Wear a Mickey Mouse shirt and a stupid hat. They'll think you're going to spend even more.

2. Make claws with your hands because your arthritis is acting up.

3. If they discriminate against you as a sufferer of arthritis, which would be a lawsuit, start asking for a printed legal statement on the use of the biometric machines. Ask to see a supervisor. Once again, none of the trouble will be worth it to them, you'll go right through.

4. Wear a strange article of clothing and tell them that it is against your religion to allow such machines to take personal information. This opens them up to possible religious discrimination.

I love it! Come up with seven more and I'll make sure that it's but on David Lettermen's writer's desk for review as a top ten reason's to refuse the finger scan at Disney.

Even when I go to the bank and they ask for my drivers license I always refuse and give them my account number and tell them to look up my signature as it is on file. And I always win. If it's a branch that doesn't have it on file I tell them to have it faxed.

One time I had a manager curse at me for refusing to show my license. I said if you're gonna write me a ticket then I'll show you my drivers license, he said if I can't follow the bank policy I should f-ing bank somewhere else.

He happen to be transferred by my next visit a few days later.

I just think it's wrong that they need all this info. So what if someone shares a ticket. It's was paid for and it's not counterfeit.

Funny because It's always the thief that worries someone else is robbing him.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I took my family there this summer and we stayed at a resort and did not have to do the finger scan, just swiped our passes. I think the reason they use the finger scanner over the photo ID is time. It takes less than a second for the finger scan to work as I saw it going on and thought, oh man, why are they needing finger prints but as it turned out, 10 seconds would be a huge amount of time if everyone there in line had to take that much time for a photo ID. The finger scan took less than a second for most and there were still lines. Multiply that time by a factor of 10 and you have lines running out into the parking lot.

Secondly, this is not a forced scan. The govt. is forcing no one to do it. This is a private money hungry business implementing this as a condition of use of their facilities. Don't like it, don't go. Believe me, I won't be back soon unless I am lucky enough to become a shareholder.

My next trip to FL will be a week in Ormond Beach!

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I guess going to disney or epcot is a rite of passage for US kids (who's parents can afford the ridiculous prices). I went in the 80s and that was it. I like roller coasters, and get my fix at more thrilling parks. However, I think it would be interesting to have the time to explore disney world as an ATS-type adult.

Now though, I really enjoy finding strange little things to see on roadtrips or in towns and cities that I visit. Recently, on one of those "roadside attraction" type websites, I found a strange little "park" in the countryside of strange animals and dinosaurs made out of discarded metalwork.

(One such website: www.roadsideamerica.com...)

It (the metalwork sculpture park) was free, required no identification of any kind, I was the only one there at the time, and it was just as creative as any million dollar atraction. The imagination and ambition of one elderly man to create two-headed dinosaurs, airplanes, trains, sea monsters, etc. for people to find and enjoy was really really cool.

I encourage anyone doing some driving in the US to research the states and roadways that you are around. There are some amazing, interesting, profound, and silly things to see.

[edit on 25-7-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

new topics

top topics

join