It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there a word filter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   
And the funny thing is...if you make a reply....or you quote what they're saying...

It shows you what they actually wrote down..aka the swear words not the flowering donkey, etc.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Not forgetting that when you hit the reply button, all the original language is visible, until the Topic gets too long.

Comparing with what Darage just said.

What is it that I need to do, exactly?

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
And the funny thing is...if you make a reply....or you quote what they're saying...

It shows you what they actually wrote down..aka the swear words not the flowering donkey, etc.

Sooooooo, I guess nobody else is taking this post with the view of why certain words are seen as "Good or Bad" instead of just words then???

The filters being in place so that this site will be on the "Approved" list of other servers I just figured was a given. I was under the impression that it was a discussion of just word filtering in general and the "why's" behind word discrimination.

So if my previous post is more destructive than constructive in it being on here, then I'm sorry for clouding the issue. But the topic of proper usage of language and reactions to language would be interesting to discuss, I think. Like how slang words often become valid and/or vulgar and why? Stuff like that, although such a discussion would be a bit tricky because of such filtering concerns...

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Yes, Satyr, I warned you.

The fact that you have no idea what is socially acceptable to use in front of ladies and children as well as properly reared adults is plenty explanation why a censor is needed.
"Adult content" is nothing of the sort, it should be stated as "Ill-mannered, ignorant, redneck, gutter-trash content."

Why the hell did I get a warning? Man, that's not right. I asked a simple question, and none of the words I listed should be a problem, since you have filters. That's just stupid, man.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Satyr

# happens

and sometimes there isn't a #ing thing you can do about injustice.

Nobody here thinks any less of you as a result of the red marks on your bottom. You offended no #er around here.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
Sooooooo, I guess nobody else is taking this post with the view of why certain words are seen as "Good or Bad" instead of just words then???

Exactly!!! Words are just words. The way you use them determines their intention.

Jesus K-rist on a popsicle stick! I didn't even call anyone any names, although I'd love to now. The most immature people are those who are offended by words that aren't even directed at anyone in a negative nature.
To get a warning for merely asking the question and testing the filter (I am new here) is utterly ridiculous!
I don't think I'll be here for very long. You obviously have overzealous mods. Go ahead, warn me again.

Not a single person was "warned" in the "Creative Writing" thread.

BTW, Thomas, I just moved out of Alabama...and yes, you should know more about redneck, gutter trash than anyone. That's why I moved out of that pathetic state. Do you live in a double, or single wide? (J/K)

FYI, I'm quite fond of swearing, but I do know when it's not appropriate to some people. However, if you hadn't noticed, it's impossible to surf the web without being exposed to these "bad" words. If they offend you, you've lived a very sheltered life, and you stand to be offended every time you turn around....or just walk down the street.

[Edited on 22-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr

Originally posted by mOjOm

Exactly!!! Words are just words. The way you use them determines their intention.

Jesus K-rist on a popsicle stick! I didn't even call anyone any names, although I'd love to now. The most immature people are those who are offended by words that aren't even directed at anyone in a negative nature.
To get a warning for merely asking the question and testing the filter (I am new here) is utterly ridiculous!
I don't think I'll be here for very long. You obviously have overzealous mods. Go ahead, warn me again.

[Edited on 22-8-2003 by Satyr]

Dont get your panties all ruffled. Dont leave.
Its not about that. TC was making a very valid point that no matter what context you may use a slang word it is nevertheless inappropriate.

It was a question that was answered accordingly.
This type of language maybe acceptable to some but obscene , and unacceptable to others.
So to fully understand the severity of your question
I think it was appropriate to give you an example as to how serious this issue is.

Dont think of leaving because of this as this is only a measure put in place to assure that this place is a pleasant expierence for anyone who may visit.
Children and adults alike.

Have fun posting!!

Mark

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
As far as "colorful" language, the "F" word is not acceptable at any time, anywhere. It is certainly not needed when you are typing. You can't blurt out a word in anger while typing. And even if there aren't any children here now (although there are, and you don't know who might be lurking) there are ladies here, and there are actual mature "adults" that prefer to have discussions with other mature "adults" who have the ability to communicate as a mature "adult".

I can understand keeping such "cuss" words out of the forums to prevent search engine problems and what-not. And I can understand keeping it minimal as to not sound like a group of drunken sailors.

However, kids need to be supervised if these words are too harsh, ladies live in the real world like the rest of us (and are quite often more vulgar than males) and just because one may choose to use the word fvck, doesn't mean they are not mature. These words are apart of language, like any other word. I find it more offensive when one wishes to bludgeon the english language with euphemisms to make a terrible thing sound like a happy experience.

It all depends on context...

[Edited on 22-8-2003 by Thorfinn Skullsplitter]

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Precisely! Where I come from, saying, "F*cking A" is the same is saying "Gee golly" or "I'll be damned". It's not directed at anyone, and even when I do call someone a name, it's usually jokingly, unless I'm angry...in which case, they'd surely know.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join