It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The husband of a pregnant woman missing for the last week was charged with second-degree murder Monday, just one day after a search party he organized found a body.
Police department spokeswoman Lisa Lammi said Michael White also faces an additional charge of offering an indignity to a dead body. The charges followed the discovery Sunday night of a body on the city's outskirts, news that city residents both dreaded and expected ever since Liana White vanished early last Tuesday. Police said the body would not be positively identified until after an autopsy Tuesday morning.
White's Ford Explorer was abandoned just blocks from her home, with her purse, shoes and cellphone scattered nearby. Nothing appeared to have been taken, said police, nor were there any signs of a struggle.
Michael White, a 28-year-old heavy-duty mechanic, has been barred from the family home since Saturday while police combed it for clues. On Sunday he issued a heartfelt denial of any involvement in his wife's disappearance.
The fact that Liana White is four months pregnant has prompted chilling comparisons to Scott Peterson, a California man convicted of killing his wife, Laci, and their unborn child. But White told the Sun that unlike Peterson, he was thrilled to discover Liana was pregnant again and both were looking forward to having a sibling for their two-year-old daughter.
Originally posted by Duzey
If it doesn't involve Americans it is extrememly unlikely that there will be any US coverage. That's just the way the American news works.
Originally posted by Amuk
Its not just that.
Classification of murder
231. (1) Murder is first degree murder or second degree murder.
Planned and deliberate murder
(2) Murder is first degree murder when it is planned and deliberate.
(3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (2), murder is planned and deliberate when it is committed pursuant to an arrangement under which money or anything of value passes or is intended to pass from one person to another, or is promised by one person to another, as consideration for that other's causing or assisting in causing the death of anyone or counselling another person to do any act causing or assisting in causing that death.
Murder of peace officer, etc.
(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is
(a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff's officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;
(b) a warden, deputy warden, instructor, keeper, jailer, guard or other officer or a permanent employee of a prison, acting in the course of his duties; or
(c) a person working in a prison with the permission of the prison authorities and acting in the course of his work therein.
.......snips part about death that occurs during the commission of a crime is first-degree..........
......snips terrorists are first-degree murders.....
Using explosives in association with criminal organization
(6.1) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of a person, murder is first degree murder when the death is caused while committing or attempting to commit an offence under section 81 for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a criminal organization.
(6.2) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of a person, murder is first degree murder when the death is caused while committing or attempting to commit an offence under section 423.1.
Second degree murder
(7) All murder that is not first degree murder is second degree murder.
When child becomes human being
223. (1) A child becomes a human being within the meaning of this Act when it has completely proceeded, in a living state, from the body of its mother, whether or not
(a) it has breathed;
(b) it has an independent circulation; or
(c) the navel string is severed.
(2) A person commits homicide when he causes injury to a child before or during its birth as a result of which the child dies after becoming a human being.