It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran foils al-Qaida conspiracies, 3000 members detained or expelled

page: 1

join
share:
Sep

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
TEHRAN, July 16 (Xinhuanet) -- Iran has foiled five al-Qaida conspiracies against it and detained or expelled nearly 3,000 al-Qaida members, Intelligence Minister Ali Younesi said on Saturday.

"Currently some 200 al-Qaida members are in Iranian prisons," Younesi told the official IRNA news agency.

"Since the collapse of the Taliban in Afghanistan, al-Qaida made five waves of attempts against Iran which have all been thwarted," Younesi said.

Meanwhile, Younesi accused the United States and Israel of recruiting former al-Qaida members.

The statement is believed to be the most detailed and comprehensive official revelation on Tehran's al-Qaida crackdown so far.

The United States has repeatedly accused Iran of sponsoring terrorists, labeling it as a member of the "Axis of Evil."

Tehran has vehemently rejected the charge, saying Washington is to blame for the growth of many terrorist groups including al-Qaida.

Iran says that it strongly opposes any form of terrorism from which the Iranians also suffer greatly.

news.xinhuanet.com...

It is rather regrettable that Iran and the US had to go against each other. Perhaps they could have helped each other greatly in the war against al-Qaede

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This would appear to be a mischievous repeat of Iranian propaganda. It is simply absurd to suggest that the US and Israel would "recruit" former Al-Qaida members, except perhaps as double agents.

As far as Iran being victimized by Al-Qaida, Iran has been the biggest enabler of terrorism throughout the Middle East for years, particularly through the sponsorship of Hezbollah and other extremist groups.

For a more realistic report on this story, see
www.canada.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.canada.com...

It is simply not credible to think that Iran has clean hands in any of this. I think they have all kinds of motives for making mischief for the US, starting with their own extremist attitudes, and ending with the fact of 140,000 US troops next door.

However, no matter who reports what the Iranian government says, remember that ANYTHING they say must be viewed very skeptically.

Sep

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexofSkye

As far as Iran being victimized by Al-Qaida, Iran has been the biggest enabler of terrorism throughout the Middle East for years, particularly through the sponsorship of Hezbollah and other extremist groups.

It is arguable wheather Hezbollah is a terrorist group or not. And the link below doesnt work so I cant see who the "other" extrimist groups are.

Originally posted by AlexofSkyeFor a more realistic report on this story, see
www.canada.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.canada.com...

The link doesnt work

Originally posted by AlexofSkyeIt is simply not credible to think that Iran has clean hands in any of this. I think they have all kinds of motives for making mischief for the US, starting with their own extremist attitudes, and ending with the fact of 140,000 US troops next door.

When the Shias start blowing themselves up and started killing Americans, when Basra and Najaf become the most dangrous places in Iraq then it can be argued that Iran has a hand in them. Until then, even though one might think have they have the motive for causing mischief, Iran has done very well.

Originally posted by AlexofSkyeHowever, no matter who reports what the Iranian government says, remember that ANYTHING they say must be viewed very skeptically.

I dont doubt that Iran is against al-Qaede, since they were about to launch a war against them and Taliban in the late ninties. It seems fairly rational for Iran to take the revenge they wanted to take then against al-Qaede, now.

That being said Iranian politicians are no diffrent from other politicians, and everything they say must be viewed some what skeptically.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by Sep]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Iran and through Russia make a NATO joke about both. There so tough together as China and Russia that they really scare the Free World. - NO.

The US has the powers unspoken to be there from here in seconds and forget the past arial time delay.

China. Russia. There is only quick death and complete destruction should you provoke death to America or the North American continent. There are not just advanced weapons, but things your Countries cannot comprehend dealing with aggression instantaniously.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
^ What does that mean?

Anyway, this is just more evidence that the Iran/Al Quaeda connection is fiction and propaganda, much like the oft touted Iraq/Al Quaeda connection. Except more absurd, as the Wahabbi fanatics in Al Qaueda want to exterminate all Shiites as heretics.

Not that there aren't AQ members in Iran. I'm sure there are. Supporting Sunni Arab rebel groups fighting against the Iranian government.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
^ What does that mean?

I wondered that too.

Originally posted by xmotex
Not that there aren't AQ members in Iran. I'm sure there are. Supporting Sunni Arab rebel groups fighting against the Iranian government.

This is perhaps something that a lot of people forget/don't appreciate : there are two main factions within Islam, and soemtimes they don't get on.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Dallas, I have no idea what you were trying to say, either.

To the others: sorry the other news link didn't work. I thought it was publicly available, but apparently I get it because I subscribe to that particular paper. It was just a more balanced presentation.

I understand why some are accepting Iran's claims that they are arresting Al-Quada types. Perhaps to some extent they are. However, I still don't buy these statements wholesale, on the basis of their thinking along the lines of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." It is also very clear from American statements that Iran is a long way from being cooperative in fighting terrorism.

As long as both Iran and Al Quada are opposed to "the Great Satan", and with 140,000 US troops nearby, I believe the Iranians can decide to get along with at least some elements of Al Quada - warily and temporarily, perhaps, but even so.

I take the "Intelligence Minister's" comments as an exercise in counter-intelligence - words meant to deflect outside opinion from what is really happening. By the way, I don't claim to "know" what's really happening in any detail, either, but my point is we should absolutely not take Younesi's word for it. It is, in all probability, propaganda and misinformation.

The additional information in the other rendition of the story that I wanted to draw to your attention follows:

Iran, however, denies U.S. claims that it has been actively harboring terrorists, saying it has been cooperating in combatting terrorism and received praise from international bodies. Iran first said in mid-2003 that it had detained and deported hundreds of al-Qaida suspects and kept some in custody.

U.S. officials have said Iran refuses to identify the al-Qaida operatives that are still in its custody.

In June, Iran denied reports that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, al-Qaida's leader of the Iraqi insurgency, was in Iran after being wounded.

There is more going on behind the scenes than Iran is admitting to - in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Iran has little incentive to cooperate with a country that threatens to bomb them on a biweekly basis.

As far as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", this gets quoted every time the subject comes up. I'm not so sure it a applies when the "enemy of my enemy" is itself an even more hated enemy, one that's right next door.

I don't doubt there are some that would work across the Sunni/Shiite divide toward a common goal, but I'm pretty sure the Wahabbi fanatics that make up Al Quaeda are not among them.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It is arguable wheather Hezbollah is a terrorist group or not.

I'm sorry, but this has got to be the most idiotic statement I've read on ATS in weeks. And it's had a lot of competition!

I guess the group who basically invented the OKC-style truck bomb isn't a terrorist group. I guess the group that has the blood of thousands of Israeli citizens on its hands isn't a terrorist group. I guess the group reputed to be responsible for the attack on the Khobar Towers isn't a terrorist group. Should I continue?

Hezbollah has more sleeper cells inside the United States than al Qaida or any other group. So give me a break, pal. Do you're homework before you side with murderers.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
All Violent People are Terrorists

Nations should not fight; they should work togeather to become stronger.

Think Straight

Sep

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I'm sorry, but this has got to be the most idiotic statement I've read on ATS in weeks. And it's had a lot of competition!

Oh now that hurt. You could make your point without attacking me. But I guess its alright, after all, I have been attacked quite a few times by the good old right wingers.

Originally posted by Rasputin13I guess the group who basically invented the OKC-style truck bomb isn't a terrorist group.

Well they used the truck bombing to attack a military base, so I guess it wouldnt be a terrorist attack unless you attack civilians.

Originally posted by Rasputin13I guess the group that has the blood of thousands of Israeli citizens on its hands isn't a terrorist group.

The group was invented to set back the invasion of Lebonon. Every war has its casualties. That doesnt make the resistors "terrorists" And nice use of the word "citiznes". If you are willing to change the word "citizen" to a "civilian" then we have alot to argue abuot because I cant remmeber hezbollah killing "thousands" of civilians, only military personal.

Originally posted by Rasputin13I guess the group reputed to be responsible for the attack on the Khobar Towers isn't a terrorist group. Should I continue?

the khobar towers were housing US servicement. In all the bombing killed 19 US airforce personal of the 4404th Fighter Wing. This loss of human life however tragic was not a terrorist attack as the target was a military one.

Originally posted by Rasputin13Hezbollah has more sleeper cells inside the United States than al Qaida or any other group.

Some facts and figures would be nice. Or are you just speculating? Either way, having sleeper cells is one thing, a terrorist attack is another.

Originally posted by Rasputin13So give me a break, pal. Do you're homework before you side with murderers.

Dont get me wrong "pal", I am not siding with them, I am just saying calling the a "terrorist group" who has the "blood of thousands" of people on its hand is arguable.

Sep

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
All Violent People are Terrorists

Not really.

adj : characteristic of someone who employs terrorism (especially as a political weapon); "terrorist activity"; "terrorist state" n : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

Originally posted by muzzleflashNations should not fight; they should work togeather to become stronger.

Amen. Hopfully all sides will work together, treat eachother as equal and start cooperating in all fields.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by Sep]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Wait! What happened to 'no occupation, no terrorism' !?!?!?!?!

This has to be American propaganda, because as sure as the sun sets in the west, these terrorists just hate America for it's influence in the middle east.

top topics

join