It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Turkish resort blast claims lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
An Explosion on a Mini-Bus in Turkish Tourist Resort has Killed at Least 4 People, leaving 14 Wounded. Bus was Full of Foreign Tourists, there are Reports about 4 Wounded Britons.

news.bbc.co.uk
At least 14 other people were wounded, including four Britons who were seriously injured, UK sources said.

Turkish officials are investigating the possibility that the blast was caused by a suicide bomber or a parcel bomb, a local governor told reporters.

Saturday's minibus explosion took place at 1030 (0730GMT) as the vehicle was travelling through Kusadasi's Ataturk Square, the semi-official Anatolia news agency reported.

The blast blew the roof off the minibus, which is reported to have been a public transport vehicle.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In the Peak of Tourist Season there are Many Reports of Bomb Blasts in Turkey.

Turkey is a Popular Tourists Country and it has been only six days since the last Bombing Attack in the Town of Cesme.

The past two week have been really filled with news like this one.

The possibility of a Suicide Bombers has not been eliminted, according to CNN Reports.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com
today.reuters.com

[edit on 16/7/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Skynews are reporting a female suicide bomber.

PKK and Kurish Hawks have threaten to attacked that area to disrupt the tourist industry in Turkey.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have read that also in our local newspaper - that the bomber was a female.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
PPK are believed to be behind the attacks, but they haven't claimed it, i don't think no one has claimed it at all.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I have read today that the Kurdish Hawks for Liberation of Kurdistan (TAK) have taken responsibility for the Attack. Altho this is not Confirmed yet, it is known that the Bomb was set-up and there was no Suicide Attack.

In the blast 3 Turks Died, One Irish Female Student and One British Female Tourist.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
A report in 'The Sunday Telegraph' seemed to be giving the impression that now Western tourists were being targetted in Turkey. I thought that the Kurdish 'terrorists' had their beefs with Turkey, and not with Westerners...or am I wrong.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan
A report in 'The Sunday Telegraph' seemed to be giving the impression that now Western tourists were being targetted in Turkey. I thought that the Kurdish 'terrorists' had their beefs with Turkey, and not with Westerners...or am I wrong.

Well - when you attack Tourists in Turkey that come in and Give Money, then you have also "Beef with Turkey" dont you think?

Not to mention their Desire for Kurdistan, which is growing more and more real...

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Turkish Army has killed 10 Kurdish Rebels during Firefighting in the South-East of Turkey.

Army has also Seized Large numbers of Weapons.

Retaliation was Quick.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Turkish Army has killed 10 Kurdish Rebels during Firefighting in the South-East of Turkey.

Army has also Seized Large numbers of Weapons.

Retaliation was Quick.

hmmm...

very quick

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Retaliation was Quick.

hmmm...

very quick

Well I guess they know where the Rebels are Hiding, after all they have been fighting them since 1984.

So far 30.000 People have died in this Turkish-Kurdish Conflict...

[edit on 17/7/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It should not matter who has the beef with who, always remember they are killing the innocents. Do not try to find a fffffffffff reasons for a teror. It could be you or your loved one any moment in any country.
Unal

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenedOne
It should not matter who has the beef with who, always remember they are killing the innocents. Do not try to find a fffffffffff reasons for a teror. It could be you or your loved one any moment in any country.
Unal

Thats the thing that was confusing me. Weren't the Kurds oppressed by Saddam and hence they were freedom fighters. Or is the conflict they are having with Turkey different?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i think somebody is using my account i dont remember writing that. but well said

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Thats the thing that was confusing me. Weren't the Kurds oppressed by Saddam and hence they were freedom fighters. Or is the conflict they are having with Turkey different?

When Saddam killed Kurds it was a Crime but when Turkey killed Kurds everybody looked away. Now, why is that?

Ofcourse they want an Independant Country - so that NOBODY will try to take away their Basic Human Rights anymore.

Now thats not so hard to understand.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The Kurds have a long grudge (like for centuries) against the Turks and the Iraqis because the Kurds wanted to take the land where southeastern Turkey, northern Iraq and western Iran, in which they believed is their ancestral land. They are distantly related to the Iranians.

See the map.

Remember the famous story of the March of the Ten Thousand? The Greek mercenaries forced to march back home through hostile lands (toward the Black Sea). Xenophon who wrote this famous story was with them and described the encounter with a hostile group that picked on the Greek mercenaries traveling through the mountains. They were the Kurds and the Greek mercenaries just happened to cross its ancestral land.

Perhaps the most famous figure in the history of the Kurdish people of all was Saladin.

xu

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
the thing is PKK was originally, militants (or terrorists whichever fits you) trained in Syria and Iraq and continually sent to East, Southeast regions of Turkey for to attack and terroize those regions. it is believed that they were funded by CIA, note that Saddam was also planted by CIA to overthrow the then current Iraqi goverment.

I believe at least %30 of turkeys population is already Kurds and they are living all over the country not just southeast of Turkey. and the percentage of Kurds living in the country who support PKK is like % 0.1 of total kurd population.

however because of this conflict the military has lots of excuse to spend %40 of gross national income to military spendings. so we could say that these conflicts are in some way useful for the military ( or should I say weapon merchants) from another point of view. and weapons are mostly supplied by Israel and USA and the rest is produced in turkey.

and about the kurds caliming to take their "motherland" back is somewhat senseless, because turkey is not a country just formed by turks, the ottoman empire mostly conquered these lands and they didnt slaugter the locals instead they gave the locals every rights and freedom so they could live in harmony, the population of tukey is formed by lots of nationalities including greeks africans russians and europeans etc. etc. so if each of them tries to pick a territory for themselves there would be no country but lots of states, juts like it was when nomads first setlled. think of Itallians claiming a territory in New York because there are lots of Itallians there or Jews. this mentality is wrong. and the need to reclaim "motherland" is just a screenplay, but things and goals are different behind the curtains.

and note that in turkey the miltary service is mandatory, which means the people who defend againts PKK attacks are 18-22 year old random people from all over the country, it could be me or anybody, one day a teenager working in a bookstore, the next day he is at mountains with a G3 listening the whistles of bullets that pass overhead. its not like in US where people are coldbloodedly commenting on war and killing from the comfort of their homes.

and about the bombings it could be anything really the minibuses are really mini 5 meters long and 2.5 meters wide aproximately and ifa bomb is going off in one and only 4 passengers receive deadly wounds than this measn the bomb was small, and it could be someone who doesnt like the driver and decided to put together a bomb, it could be taxi companies to gain more customers by making people think that the minibusses are not safe etc. it could be touristic companies which saw that the southern turkey resorts started to gather less tourists while the southwest resorts started to attract more tourists than them.some people calling the authorities and accept the resposibility of the attack doesnt mean really much. if they did want to sabotage the tourism then there are lots of more efficient targets than a minibus.

top topics

join