It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FB-23RTA proposal

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
the fb-23 could become like what happened to the f-18, a failed plane that later still became a member of the fleet, the YF-23 looks more like an FB anyways. The FB-22 donesnt look like a FB where I think the YF-23 project being the basis of the moderized modified yf-23, I like that idea.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t
the fb-23 could become like what happened to the f-18, a failed plane that later still became a member of the fleet, the YF-23 looks more like an FB anyways.

That would be the Ideal Solution to the Fighter Bomber requirement. If the YF-23 were to become the FB-23, then the USAF would end up with a near 100% return on their investment in the ATF program. From a Financial aspect, that would be ideal. Remember: the US Air Force contributed funds to the development of both the YF-22 and YF-23 through the ATF contracts. In requesting the development of those planes, they has an obligation to contribute funds to the development by law. If they buy the FB-23, the Air Force will be getting something for the money they spent on both aircraft, because the YF-22 will become the F/A-22 Raptor and the YF-23 will become the FB-23 (Black Widow II?).

Also, the YF-23 was slighly faster and had longer range then the YF-22. Both of these features make it better then the F-22 for the bombing mission. Also, by having two seprate programs with two different contractors, you get better secuirty. That way no one can get acess to too much information.

Tim

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I agree for the need to space out who gets contracts ghost. lately things have seemed one sided in who gets what contracts.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
yeah, but it was downed by the Raptor...
Even though it was a better plane... It was just more expensive...

jra

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm really interested and even a bit excited at the idea of the YF-23 being used. I've been trying to find some more detailed information on it, but it's kind of hard. From what I can tell, it seems to have a pretty big weapons bay, meaning it would be better suited to carry bombs. I'm not sure what kind of bombs and how many. At least two for sure. This also made me wonder, if the FB-23 was to actually come into service, would it replace the F-117? I'm not sure which is more stealthy, but at least the FB-23 would be much faster and possibly more manuverable.

Either way, I hope some more news on this comes up soon.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
the FB-2x is to fill the gap in capability left by the retirement of the Aardvark

SOC

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
BUT - I'm curious as to what happened to #87-800 (PAV1), it was at Edwards, then in spring 2004 a C-5 came to pick it up. Paperwork said it was going to WP AFB for some sprucing up but it never arrived according to sources at WP.

I've got some pictures of 800 undergoing restoration. Given the fact that there's an old looking aircraft in the hangar behind it with a prop engine (think no newer than 1930), I'd say it's the WPAFB restoration people who have it. Can't remember who gave me the images or I'd know more.

jra

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOC
I've got some pictures of 800 undergoing restoration. Given the fact that there's an old looking aircraft in the hangar behind it with a prop engine (think no newer than 1930), I'd say it's the WPAFB restoration people who have it. Can't remember who gave me the images or I'd know more.

Something like this pic? Large - 1600x1200 [273k] I've seen another pic that was taken more from the front with the old plane in the background like you mentioned. I can't seem to find it though.

SOC

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yup, that's one of the pictures I have.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
So is anyone else laughing about the fact that with all the money spent on equipment to work on these planes, the best way to transport the engine is on a bunch of mattresses stacked ontop of each other?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
When I posted this thread last July, I hoped that it would spawn the enthusiasm that this project deserves. I don't think that "going to the matresses" is a suitable end note here. Take a look at the US Patent Office, The Air Force Research Lab and other sources as well as the various responses to future requirements over and above the FB-23RTA proposal. I suspect that Northrop Grumman will draw upon this design's characteristics and innovations in the future. Let's keep an eye on the two PAV's whereabouts. We have not heard anything recently.

jra

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I myself am still very curious to know what all is going on as well. I was kind of hoping that a bit more info would have surfaced by now. I decided to go to the Western Museum of Flight webpage. On the list of aircraft on static display, it says, "Northrop YF-23A"Black Widow II" Advanced Tactical Fighter (PAV-2) - on loan, will be back on display in June 2006."

So it doesn't look like Northrop (or who ever has it) will have it permanently. Either they are studying it or just fixing it up for the museum. I did email them though. So we'll see what they have to say.

jra

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well I got an email back from the Western Museum of Flight. I had asked where the YF-23 went and why, but they just answered as to where it went. They said, "It is on loan to N-G El Segundo until June 2006." I don't know don't if that information is new or helpful, but that's all I could find out about PAV-2.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by jra]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It appears that PAV-02 is on loan to El Segundo and that according to at least one other ATS thread ----- www.abovetopsecret.com... ----- the bomber concept is valid if not validated. The FB-23 recalls the B-70 and F-108 rolled into one with the advantages of stealth, supercruise (?), advanced avionics and weapons, etc. More than that, the FB-23 derives from a proven vehicle with enormous potential. Unlike, the countless proposed machines from China, the CIS Sukhoi and MiG concepts, an even the UK, this is no paper tiger. Moreover, the production variants will no doubt be far more refined than the F-117 and YF-23 for example which feature "off the shelf" components and parts from existing fighter aircraft. Any thoughts????

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Has there been any more info. on the YF-23? Will it be used in a bomber role?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
any new info of the FB-23? I know this thread is kinda dead and not totally sure if reviving dead threads is ok (I apologize if it ins't) but I'm going to try to make a simulator model of the FB-23 from a YF-23 somebody else made, and would like to guess as little as possible on it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
After Congress and their idiot decision not to buy the needed amount of B-2's or F-22's you think they are going to fund another bomber? I will be amazed if the Marines get any F-35's. Its very dumb to build another aircraft when we can modify the B-1B to be faster and produce more B-2's as each can carry stealth Cruise Missiles. Don't forget that the F-22 can carry the new mini cruise missiles and every type or smart bomb. Building a whole new aircraft right now is very ignorant when everything we have can be made better.

I also vote on bring the Blackbird out of retirement and finding a way to put bombs in it and making it so it does not leak fuel. That would be tits.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Patriotsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
I also vote on bring the Blackbird out of retirement and finding a way to put bombs in it and making it so it does not leak fuel. That would be tits.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Patriotsrevenge because: (no reason given)

that would be nice, but its too old of an airframe. maybe a re-design of it (still using the design for RD savings) also the leaking fuel was a design feature because of the fact the aircraft expanded like 9 inches during high speed flight (ironicly it was most fuel efficient when it was super sonic)
about the bombs part, have you heard of the YF/ A-12? not avenger but the project boxcart one, that was actually before the SR-71
edit on 12-1-2012 by jetflyerX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join