It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FB-23RTA proposal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
YF-23 efficianados can find photos of the FB-23RTA model at yf-23.boxmail.biz...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
That's not the YF-23 BlackWidow II.

And resembles nothing like it... I don't like that model.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The FB-23 RTA (Rapid Theatre Attack) model represents a possible Northrop proposal for an interim USAF bomber based on a modified YF-23.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar8
The FB-23 RTA (Rapid Theatre Attack) model represents a possible Northrop proposal for an interim USAF bomber based on a modified YF-23.

But you must understand, that's not a modified YF-23, it's already a different aircraft all together.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The wings resemble the YF-23, maybe its the sucession to it. I mean, maybe theyve just used what theve learned from the YF-23 and put it towards a bomber.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is a heavilly modified YF-23 frame, seems like it was made stealthier, I thought the FB-23 was going to have delta wings?

it does have similar wings, similar configuration, but much more suited for bombing opposed to being a fighter.

Thanks for sharing!

jra

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I've always loved the YF-23 and I think this FB-23 seems interesting, but is this for real? Is Northrop really working on a concept for this or is this just some guys fantasy? More information would be nice.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
I've always loved the YF-23 and I think this FB-23 seems interesting, but is this for real? Is Northrop really working on a concept for this or is this just some guys fantasy? More information would be nice.

Well, one YF-23 prototype is absent from the collection at the Western Museum in Hawthorn, CA (RIght next to Northrop field) and I am hoping to confirm the presence or absence of the other located at the Edwards flight test museum if they have the airshow this year.

The one in Hawthorn is supposed to back soon so we shall see if some testing went on there.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
But to me this looks like a backward step from the YF-23. The cockpit arrangement and air intakes are very TSR 2 in appearance ( a design over 40 years old!) and are much less advanced than the YF-23 which actually flew.

Therefore I disbelieve the claim that this is a derivative of the YF-23, I just think someone made a nice model aeroplane.

edit; not to mention those P&W F-100 style nozzles!

[edit on 13-7-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I am in agreement, waynos.
I think it is nothing but a modified model.
Nothing to be found on this within the internet....nothing.

seekerof

SOC

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
As an FYI, this is the model that appeared on EBay and was ordered to be removed after like a day. Flight International or Aviation Week ran a story on the incident a month or two back. Also, one of the YF-23 prototypes is currently at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio undergoing restoration for display.

The nozzle arrangement isn't that out of the question. We already know you can make a stealthy round nozzle-look at the LOAN project. And any production F-23 would have had smaller upper nacelles anyway, as the only reason they were so large on the prototypes is that they were sized for the thrust vectoring equipment which was not fitted. Northrop dropped TVC from their aircraft after the USAF dropped the STOL requirement that brought TVC into the equation in the first place.

Neither, for that matter, is the cockpit arrangement out of the question. Why have a bubble canopy on a strike aircraft? It's not needed.

As for the intakes, they resemble DSI intakes using similar technology to the F-35.

Lastly, how anyone can say that the model in question doesn't resemble an F-23 in any way, shape, or form is beyond me.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Erm, SOC:

Lastly, how anyone can say that the model in question doesn't resemble an F-23 in any way, shape, or form is beyond me.

I am certainly not disputing what aircraft the model appears to be similiar to.
I simply meant, and could have clearified such, that there is NO mention of the FB-23RTA nor such a proposal. None, and certainly no mention of this 'variant' or proposal by Northrop-McDonnell Douglas.

Thus my assertion that it is simply a modified model.
I will continue to believe so till something remotely resembling a credible link(s) are put forth to say otherwise.

seekerof

[edit on 13-7-2005 by Seekerof]

SOC

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Seekerof, I don't doubt that it could be merely a modified model; at any rate I was referring to Shattered's "resembles nothing like it" comment. Clearly it resembles an F-23, look at the wings, the vee tail, etc.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Can someone post the picture from the site, for some reason the page wont come up when I click on the link, I would greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOC
Seekerof, I don't doubt that it could be merely a modified model; at any rate I was referring to Shattered's "resembles nothing like it" comment. Clearly it resembles an F-23, look at the wings, the vee tail, etc.

I apologize, the wings look like the YF-23, excuse me for missing that one detail. And alot of stealth aircraft seem to have V shaped Tail fins, I don't know why though, they just do, must be in fashion.

Yea, I think this aircraft is a Folley, that's all, I may be wrong though, I know I have been wrong in the past(wrong enough to learn from mistakes).

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Can someone post the picture from the site, for some reason the page wont come up when I click on the link, I would greatly appreciated.

I would, but they are stamped and copyright protected.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOC

The nozzle arrangement isn't that out of the question. We already know you can make a stealthy round nozzle-look at the LOAN project. And any production F-23 would have had smaller upper nacelles anyway, as the only reason they were so large on the prototypes is that they were sized for the thrust vectoring equipment which was not fitted. Northrop dropped TVC from their aircraft after the USAF dropped the STOL requirement that brought TVC into the equation in the first place.

Yes, but apart from those type of nozzles being out of date as far as new designs go look how they are simply wedged onto the back of the original design with no thought to integration with the airframe, once the burners are lit they look a good way of setting the rear fuselage and tail on fire.

Neither, for that matter, is the cockpit arrangement out of the question. Why have a bubble canopy on a strike aircraft? It's not needed.

Yes actually, bubble canopies are very much need for visibility reasons, also the whole 'framed canopy' and 'separate solid canopy with windows in it for navigator' thing has not been seen since the 1960's in a new design, it is just so damned old fashioned.
. Strike aircraft canopies were only made that way because the glare of the sun made prinitve radar displys hard to see. This is not a concern at all today and a one piece, tinted bubble would almost certainly enclose both crewmen in a modern two seat YF-23 variant, possibly with a separate one piece screen (like Typhoon/F-15E etc)

As for the intakes, they resemble DSI intakes using similar technology to the F-35.

Only in the most superficial sense, the much more closely resemble the half round intakes with 'souris' that were used on the F-104, Mirage, TSR 2 et al, only turned to lie flat under the wing.

That is why I say that this model is a decent attempt to show a strike variant of the YF-23 made by a well meaning amateur. This is given away by the fact that the design has been 'modified' with what are obviously much more old fashioned canopy, intakes and nozzles than the ones on the actual YF 23 which were probably retreived from the spares box.

[edit on 14-7-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
It is a real [one of eight] Northrops proposals to USAF Interim Bomber iniciative [not a program because there is not yet decision, that anything will be build]. link

But I think that we discused this problem some time ago, didnt we?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Ok...let me see, now we have a model and a drawing to confirm that this is legit?

Am I missing something here?
And still no mention found on any Northrop-McDonnell Douglas site or related.
Interesting, no, matej?

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Ok...let me see, now we have a model and a drawing to confirm that this is legit?

Am I missing something here?
And still no mention found on any Northrop-McDonnell Douglas site or related.
Interesting, no, matej?

When you think that the ONLY way, how to find information is to see it on the internet, yes then it is very interesting. You should find some friends from air forces or directly from that firms an MAYBE THEN your eyes will open!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join