It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR-10T .300 Winchester short mag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The .300 short mag is a pretty large round, and now Armalite offers an AR chambered for it

I have heard about this thing for a while, but just happened to see this today:

www.military.com...

I think this would be a great rifle for the military to use in counter sniping roles, or maybe even as sniper's - spotters weapon.

It would also make for a fun deer rifle

Do you think its overkill or useful?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Asinine at best the recoil would be too much for todays soldiers who cant handle a .308.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tony238
Asinine at best the recoil would be too much for todays soldiers who cant handle a .308.

They appear to be quite able to handle a .50BMG rifle.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Asinine
I don't think Armalite would build a final production model of a rifle if it was asinine.

Maybe the average soldier can't handle a .308 but then again I doubt they would ever issue this weapon to average soldiers. I still think it would be a great setup for counter sniping, and spotting work.

M6D

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
isnt the SR-10 basically a copy of the AR-10?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T

They appear to be quite able to handle a .50BMG rifle.

The highly effective muzzle brake sends gas flying backwards which propels the rifle forward reducing the recoil substantially, too about 24 pounds or the recoil of a 12 gauge wqhich may i add is very tolerable compared to any of the 30. caliber magnums.

This cocludes the lesson on muzzle brakes

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The highly effective muzzle brake sends gas flying backwards which propels the rifle forward reducing the recoil substantially, too about 24 pounds or the recoil of a 12 gauge wqhich may i add is very tolerable compared to any of the 30. caliber magnums.

This cocludes the lesson on muzzle brakes

According to Barrett it's more like 36 ft.lbs with a muzzle brake but let's not quibble.

Firstly, the reason the military dropped the 7.62mm NATO (not .308 as you keep calling it - that's a civilian designation) wasn't because soldiers couldn't handle the recoil, that's a hilarious notion seeing as how they coped with the recoil of the .30-06 for 20 years or so. 7.62mm was dropped because it was uncontrollable on full auto, and soldiers were restricted on how much ammo they could carry because of weight limitations.

Secondly, the .30 WSM would only have an application as a sniper weapon, and with the likes of .50BMG and .338 Lapua doing the rounds, .30 WSM is a wimp of a round with or without a muzzle brake.

You're just not making sense here, recoil isn't an issue for special application weapons like these. Remember also that the super short magnums were designed for use in bolt action hunting rifles, where the felt recoil would be a LOT more than a gas operated system such as that in the AR-10. Or are you saying that deer hunters are especially recoil tolerant.

new topics

top topics

join