It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Martian dustdevils on film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just thought I'd share this with you Dust devils.
In frame 260 of PIA07140 there's a wierd looking object, probably something to do with the camera, but it still looks wierd to me.
The landscape images on this page are in giff format as well and each sequence is about 5 megs.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I can't download anythingfrom the website. If it's on an individual frame can you take a screen shot of that frame and post it here?

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Try this link photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov... it will still take a while to load.
Both links work for me.
I hav'nt got the software on to grab a single gif image,yet.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is just a section of it, but your better of trying the main site, it's worth it to see the winds.

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Okay I finally got it, I have a gif editor, I'll try and upload pics of what I think I saw.

What I see are one dot in the sky, then a dot lower in the sky, then a dot on the ground.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
spyke! That's freaky!

I love the gifs, but the dark spikey thing is really weird looking. Also, in the last animated gif of dust devils on that page, it has something in the sky that looks to fall downward.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Is it me or does that look like an white orb ? weird as hell

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Something definitely falls in frame 440 and impacts in frame 540.
I like the second animated gif sequence as well, it looks just like a cartoon of taz.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Mine doesn't go to frame 540. What image are you viewing?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's on the third landscape image down, image PIA07138
Look at the horizon just past halfway across the image.
Hope this helps.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
anyone think its wierd that the vids are only in black and white? surely if they can get to mars they can film it in colour??
maybe the sky is blue

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It could just be an error in the photo and then in the next scene a dustdevil coincidentally starts for a second or two then stops.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
electric dust devils on mars:

interresting maybe:

www.thunderbolts.info...

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Definitely a nice find there. It's funny how the cameras are in black and white, LOL. I am wondering what that annomaly was. I also see the object that crashed into the ground. Mars has definitely go to be one of the planets with the most history. Also check out www.mars-earth.com for some really good info about Mars.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Why does the Martian surface present both dark and light streaks, just as we see on Jupiter’s moon Europa? Experiments with laboratory arcs have shown that the discharges will “burn” soil, leaving a darkened look Though enigmatic to planetary scientists, such darkening is evident across vast regions of Mars. It is especially concentrated in regions of heavy dust devil tracks, typically appearing amid dense populations of small dark spots. In those regions where electric activity has burnt the soil directly, or where darkened material was raised into the atmosphere and then drifted back to the surface, the layer of such material is apparently quite thin. It is thus easy to imagine that when lower energy dust devils have subsequently moved across such surfaces, they removed the layer of dark material and exposed the original lighter soil below.

may I invite you to read this short artical:

www.thunderbolts.info...

and look at the bottom half of this page which might explain the small white anomalies you point at, maybe it's just an electric discharge like the dustdevils are on mars only maybe in the form of ball lightning (a link is at the bottom of the artical)
Tornado – a natural charged sheath vortex

have fun!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
WOW.... The center clip looks like "Taz" might be at the middle of that one!! All of those clips remind me of the 'invisible monster' scenes in "The Forbidden Planet"!

Interesting link, Stefan......reguarding earth's larger 'dust devils'.....guess it would not be a good idea to construct a metal underground storm shelter, huh!!??

The charged sheath can also rip and twist metal structures under the ground surface protected from any wind, but fully exposed to the violent magnetic fields at the end of the vortex tube

Does NASA have data from the Mars dust devils to show that they are electric/magnetic......or is this conjectur?

Edit to add: Can they go check out the thing that Val spotted falling on the last clip? Have you seen any indication that NASA noticed it?

[edit on 14-7-2005 by frayed1]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
well frayed1 maybe read over here:

On both Earth and Mars, dust devils form when the ground heats up during the day, warming the air just above the surface. But why does the rising air rotate, and how does this rotation achieve its impressive energy? Here is the conventional explanation: “Pockets of warm air rise and interfere with each other, sometimes causing one pocket or another to begin a swirling motion” (From a story at space.com, paraphrasing the work of William Farrell of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center and his research team.)

Pockets of rising warm air randomly “interfering” with each other can hardly be a compelling explanation for electrified dust devils’ power of rotation. Those offering the explanation are forgetting something—the measured electric field of the Earth. At sea level in dry air the field is about 100 volts per meter. The presence of this electric field means there is no need to generate charge separation in a dust devil. It already exists between the Earth and the ionosphere! When warm dry air rises from the surface the vertical movement of charged dust particles forms a weakly ionized plasma. It is a characteristic of plasma to shield electric fields within it by forming a thin “double layer” or sheath, where most of the electric field strength is concentrated. This is what researchers have found at the base of dust devils, where the field has been measured to rise as high as 4,000 volts per meter. An electric field of that strength near the earth is capable of lifting small charged dust particles and generating a vertical current. Rotation is electromagnetically induced between parallel vertical current streams to form a vortex – as we have noted in numerous prior references to rotating Birkeland Currents.

Dust Devils—or Tornados?

Maybe there is an explanation for the orbs and falling stuff.
Picture a tornado just before it touches down (you must have seen the conical shape ending in what seems like a sharp tip)(funnel was the word, I believe)
Now let us take in to the account the fact that electricity is in play, could it be the what you are seeing or actually not seeing is a electric funnel almost touching down? And all that you do see in brief flashes is the tip of an electric funnel?

top topics

join