It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Idea for ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I was thinking that it would be cool if members could give away some of their ATS points to other members. It could be useful for all sorts of things
- Member X had just submitted a very well written and convincing post. So member XX decides to give them X points
- Its a members birthday. As a gift they get a few points from well wishers
- And more. . .

I think this could encourage participation, increase the quality of posts and improve the community aspect of the board.

Obviously there has to be some restrictions on how much you can give away. So I propose a cap of 600 points to give away to any individual. As well as only 10% of their gross points per day to give away. Example MemberX has 10,000 points. He could give away 1000 points (10%) that day, but no more than 600 to any one person.

So what do you think?

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm not a programmer but I think the logistics would be WAY too difficult. Besides, isn't that what we have the Way Above button for?

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I agree with Intrepid..."You have given 200 points to Intrepid" Its an interesting idea but sounds very difficult. Ask Skeptic Overlord....The man who has nothing to hide!

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It's not too hard to do, but it's a matter of is it a necessity? and is it worth it? All it takes is alternations in MySQL and PHP.

As far as automatic points for birthdays though, that would be a little tricky to pull off.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
i think this has been brought up before or something along these lines cause it rings a bell to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yeah infinite several months ago someone mentioned this type of thing so they could bet with other members.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Yeah infinite several months ago someone mentioned this type of thing so they could bet with other members.

thats the one

i remember now, SO was against it

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm not a programmer but I think the logistics would be WAY too difficult. Besides, isn't that what we have the Way Above button for?

Actualy, the XMB store/back mod supports quite a bit of features out of the box, next to that, theres loads of modifications for the mod itself.

Depending on how far SO modified the XMB engine running ATS, this could be from relativly easy to starting from scratch.

The impact on site performance might need to be considered.

Lastly, looking at how much the ATSNN news submission system is already abused with no:bias and other type of votes cast just out of spite with the topic, I dunno how good it would be to give people even more ways to damage or glorify eachother.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
the idea is open to abuse, there is nothing stopping you giving friends points, etc. The pros and cons need to be studied first

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Instead of that, why not give a points to someone who gets a vote for Way Above or as I remember someone once mentioning giving members an ability to applaude other members.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hatchedcross
Instead of that, why not give a points to someone who gets a vote for Way Above or as I remember someone once mentioning giving members an ability to applaude other members.

As SO said last time, if you see a good post that you like and think "hey, thats brilliant and well research" give them a WATS vote

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Points who needs points????

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

hmmmm

*gives jealous look*

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

I want to see if you can break the ATS points counter.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by hatchedcross

As SO said last time, if you see a good post that you like and think "hey, thats brilliant and well research" give them a WATS vote

I certainly do like the idea of votes over points.

What I may suggest though is that the low bandwidth be an actual XMB option, because some people may not be able to even get onto ATS to get those 50 points to turn on the low bandwidth.

top topics

join