It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dennis Now A 'Dangerous Hurricane'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Dennis has exploded, and now has been upgraded to a hurricane. Forecasters are now warning that it could grow perilously strong and pose a serious threat to the Florida Panhandle. Dennis has now produced maximum sustained winds of 80 mph, and seems to be getting better organized.

www.cbsnews.com
"An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicates Dennis has become a hurricane over the central Caribbean Sea," said forecaster Stacy Stewart of the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade County.

Forecasters said it could become a Category 3 hurricane by Friday, when it strikes Cuba, and reach the Panhandle or elsewhere on the Gulf Coast early next week as a strong hurricane.

"The official forecast . . . calls for a major, dangerous hurricane in the northwestern Caribbean Sea and the eastern Gulf of Mexico," said hurricane forecaster Lixion Avila.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With all of this talk of climate change and extreme weather we have all seen here, I have to wonder are we reacting to what would have been otherwise normal news of weather?

It seems like this storm became better organized very quickly.

Could this be an ominous sign of things to come over this hurricane season?

Related News Links:
quote.bloomberg.com

[edit on 6-7-2005 by EvilSockPuppet]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Actually the ominous sign was having 3 tropical storms this early in the hurricane season. I am right now preparing to board up my windows and head north this weekend if it comes toward my area. I just finished repairing all the damage from Ivan.... I may move north in a few years to get out of the path of these things. I am 36 now and dont want to live here in my 60's and up running from these things if our climate has been altered so much as to greatly increaset the number of these Hurricanes.

Lots of weird stuff going on in our world. I suspect something in the deep oceans have occured that we have just not detected yet that is part of or causing all the increase in volcano, earthquakes and weird altered weather around the globe.

X

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I've seen storms do some pretty weird things. It's our turn to have the quiet seasons out west. There were several seasons recently where Florida had it easy and we had the close calls. We even had a storm back in the 60s I think it was, that bypassed us, hit Johnston Island, did a u-turn, came back and nailed us. There's really no way to accurately predict what a hurricane is going to do. You can make decent predictions based on outside factors, but they're so unpredictable. Hurricane Iniki was passing below us, and made a 90 degree turn to pass right over Kauai and devastate the Island.

I pray that Florida has a relatively quiet season this year, but if the Gulfstream really is weakening as much as they say, then I think we'll see a big change in some of the storms. The weakening Gulfstream should also affect the other currents that pass along it and mingle with it.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There's also a great thread in Fragile Earth that covers, now Hurricane Dennis.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
From info in that thread, it seems South Florida may be spared the brunt of anything bad, still it looks like it will be a soaker and a Cat 3 when it hits somewhere on the panhandle.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
And look whats behind Dennis.

www.weather.com...

Maybe it will peter out, but it definitely is bigger, and it has just started its trip west.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
valkeryie, some info on your wave leaving Africa from Accuweather.

hurricane.accuweather.com...
Elsewhere, a large tropical wave has just moved off the coast of Africa and is moving west at about 10-15kts. Another wave in the far eastern Atlantic is along 32 west south of 23 north. Another wave is along 55 west south of 11 north. There are no indications that any of these three waves will be developing any time soon since they all have to track through cooler waters. However, as we saw with Dennis if any wave can survive the cooler waters of the central Atlantic and move into the very warm waters of the Caribbean theres opportunity for development. So we are keeping a close eye on these waves.

I also didn't realize that two of the models still have Dennis coming pretty close to South Florida
(it better not happen)

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
From weather.com

Link

If Dennis stays on this path and becomes a cat 3 or greater it could do a heck of a lot of damage.

Stay tuned.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wow my news submission made it.

Dennis is already causing flooding in Haiti. Seems like an early repeat of last season.

Link

Radio stations in Haiti and Jamaica warned people to stay away from rivers that could overflow their banks. Some southern roads in Haiti, which is dangerously deforested, already were blocked by flooding Wednesday.

Six small communities in the eastern Jamaica parish of St. Thomas were also cut off by flood waters, emergency management spokeswoman Nadene Newsome said.

Jamaica's Prime Minister P.J. Patterson abandoned the final day of the annual Caribbean summit in St. Lucia, to rush home. Before leaving, he went on Jamaican national radio to say "I call upon every Jamaican and every community to be prepared ... to protect those who are infirm, the elderly and the young."

Remember it was less than a year ago when Frances, Ivan and Jeanne, ripped through the Caribbean and was unlike anything seen in many years. In the end those storms caused hundreds of deaths and billions of dollars in damages.

So far this season is off to a similar start, perhaps even worse.

Watch out Florida.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Actually the ominous sign was having 3 tropical storms this early in the hurricane season.
X

Well, actually July 5th is now the earliest date on record for having 4 named storms in the Atlantic. Records seem to be breaking all over the world lately. Record storms, record lightning strikes, record floods, etc. It is not just in the US, or in the Atlantic that these records keep being broken almost every year.

[edit on 7-7-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
As of now it's a Category 1, barely a hurricane. They think it might be a Cat 3 by the time it hits the Gulf of Mexico. They think it'll have winds 111-130 mph when it makes landfall.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Latest public info on Dennis..

000 WTNT34 KNHC 070839 TCPAT4 BULLETIN HURRICANE DENNIS ADVISORY NUMBER 11 NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 5 AM EDT THU JUL 07 2005 ...HURRICANE DENNIS EXPECTED TO BECOME STRONGER...HEADING FOR JAMAICA... A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHWESTERN PENINSULA OF HAITI FROM THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BORDER WESTWARD...ALL OF JAMAICA...ALL OF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS...AND PORTIONS OF EASTERN CUBA FOR THE PROVINCES OF GRANMA...SANTIAGO DE CUBA...AND GUANTANAMO. A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION. A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND EASTERN CUBA FOR THE PROVINCES OF SANCTI SPIRITUS...CIEGO DE AVILA...CAMAGUEY...LAS TUNAS...AND HOLGUIN. THE HURRICANE WARNING AND THE HURRICANE WATCH FOR CUBA WILL LIKELY BE EXTENDED WESTWARD LATER THIS MORNING. INTERESTS IN THE CENTRAL AND WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM. FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE. AT 5 AM EDT...0900Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE DENNIS WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 17.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 74.6 WEST OR ABOUT 160 MILES...260 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF KINGSTON JAMAICA AND ABOUT 225 MILES... 360 KM...SOUTH OF GUANTANAMO CUBA. DENNIS IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH...24 KM/HR. THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THIS TRACK...DENNIS IS EXPECTED TO BE OVER OR VERY NEAR JAMAICA LATER TODAY. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 90 MPH...150 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. DENNIS IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST ...AND DENNIS COULD BECOME A STRONG CATEGORY 2 HURRICANE BY THE TIME IT REACHES JAMAICA LATER TODAY.

A really good page, loaded with information on tropical weather:

www.crownweather.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Dennis is now (as of the 8am advisory), a Cat 2 storm, with maximum sustained winds of 105mph and higher gusts. That's just 6mph shy of a Cat 3, and is slow is it's moving, we could see a Cat 3 storm as early as 11am (the next advisory) or 2pm today.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Dennis is now 110MPH and moving NW at 15MPH.
This storm is really gaining strength quickly.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Dennis is now a Category 3 hurricane.

It's increased strength to 115MPH as of the 5PM advisory.
Still heading NW at 15MPH

www.weather.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well I feel sorry for you people in the Florida keys, but it seems that this year the gulf of mexico coast is the one to be targeted, since about 2 weeks before summer here in GA the weather is so humid and hot that we are going to start growing ferns as part of our flora.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Its rainny and freezing in Massachusetts

I moved back and now i cought my death of cold.

Here we go again...

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Lower Florida Keys are under a Hurricane Warning and mandatory evacuations have been issued.
www.local10.com...

The Lower Keys could and most likely will start feeling hurricane force winds by tomorrow afternoon
get out now, while you can!!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Its rainny and freezing in Massachusetts

I moved back and now i cought my death of cold.

Here we go again...

Its going to take at least a few years before you get use to the allergens and colds in the area.

So get yourself some medicine and allergy medication because is going to be bad for a while.

Now as for the Hurricane I am keeping an eye I got a problem with my sky light and I think a strong wing is going to blow the think away.

I hope it happens because that the only way that I be able to claim it on the insurances.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Now its at 115mph sustained winds with a pressure of 956mb with it predicted to strengthen a little more before hitting Cuba. If it gets any stronger it will be the strongest storm this early in the Atlantic since 1950.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Dennis is now at 130MPH as of 8PM EST
Moving NW at 15MPH

It looks like Cuba is going to get hit hard.
Hopefully that will weaken the storm before it heads for the US.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join