It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCO Demands US And Its Allies To Name A Date To Leave Central Asia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) demanded yesterday that US and its allies name a date for the removal of their military bases from central Asia. SCO claimed its request was made because the active military phase of the anti-terror campaign now is completed.

Moscow Times: U.S.-Led Troops Asked to Set a Date

July 6, 2005

Russia, China and the Central Asian states asked U.S.-led troops on Tuesday to fix a date for their departure from military bases in Central Asia that were set up to support operations in Afghanistan in 2001.

The United States operates military airbases in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan -- two of the five former Soviet Central Asian republics that Russia still views as its backyard and where China, seeking oil and gas, is an increasingly vocal player.

The call was made at a meeting in Kazakhstan of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, or SCO, which groups the five countries with Russia and China, and against the backdrop of veiled criticism of Western influence in the region.

Bush has shown no sign of wanting to give up the bases.

• The SCO on Tuesday added Iran, India and Pakistan as observer nations, The Associated Press reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

• Guardian: Call for US date to leave central Asia

July 6, 2005

A regional security alliance dominated by Russia and China yesterday demanded the US and its allies in the "war on terror" name a date for the removal of their military bases from central Asia.

The SCO also includes Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan, with India, Iran and Pakistan soon to join as observers.

Washington struck deals after the 9/11 attacks to use bases in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan for refuelling aircraft and ferrying troops to fight the Taliban in Afghanistan.

But ties with Washington loosened last month when Uzbekistan retaliated against US calls for an independent inquiry of the killings by curbing flying rights from a base near Tashkent, the Uzbek capital.

Yesterday the SCO claimed its request was because the active military phase of the anti-terror campaign had neared completion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is actually quite serious. They (Russia, China and the Central Asian states) have not declared war yet, but they have just sort of told US and its allies to get their butts out of Central Asia. How will US and its allies respond to this?

Related ATS Threads:
    NEWS: Report: Russia and China to practice 'Invasion of Taiwan'.
    NEWS: China and Russia to Conduct Joint Military Exercises
    Russia and China to Team Up Against U.S., Europe
    Russia's Long-Range Bomber Force Ready For Pre-Emptive Strikes
    Gigantic Oil Pipeline From Caspian Sea Opened Today

[edit on 2006/4/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:37 PM
    link   
    they actually believe the war on terror is over? must be the Chinese pressure. aww well if they want us to leave well toooo bad. cause thats where some of the terrorists are at.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:39 PM
    link   
    We'll probably tell themselves to go screw themselves, but in a bit more diplomatic way than Chirac has been acting lately.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:53 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

This is actually quite serious. They (Russia, China and the Central Asian states) have not declared war yet, but they have just sort of told US and its allies to get their butts out of Central Asia. How will US and its allies respond to this?

Bush, in his trademark ways will shwo them the finggie!
    But seriously! Who are the SCO to tell America anything? Only if the countries in which the US is present strongly request the US then their is a chance of US leaving Central Asia. The Russians have no right and neither does China to ask America to stop or get outof anywhere, heck we have ships in Taiwan what are they saying about that? nothing!
    Moreover the SCO is just a economic organisation not a political or military alliance, the Chinese want to make it a military thing while the Russians want to just defy America or protest because its fashionable!
    They both know that US presence in Central Asia is a very strategic advantage the Us has and so does the Pentagon, leaving these bases would be a difficult decision for America as it gives a very good post to monitor China and Russia at the same time!
    We just have to councel the Uzbecks to see it like we see it!
    From the present base in Uzbeckistan we can effectively look up the chinese and Russian skirt in a sense, track all their movements and monitor any major military movement or missile launches by the chinese better.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:08 PM
    link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
    We'll probably tell themselves to go screw themselves, but in a bit more diplomatic way than Chirac has been acting lately.

Any chance you could decode that into English for us all?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:51 PM
    link   
    What amazes me most is that this story is being pointedly ignored in the Western press.

Russia and China issue a major challenge (and veiled threat) to the US, and Bush falling off his bike, Angelina Jolie adopting an Ethiopian girl, and London getting the 2012 Olympics all get more coverage.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:00 PM
    link   
    So our Chinese "friends" are teaming up with Russia to take down America? I read their going to be doing military exercises in the coming Spring. Xmotex had a point....I wonder why this is under the radar screen of the Liberal media?

I wonder if we can take on both countries at once?

All we have done to help the Chinese and this is how they repay us. China should be our best friend, but now their true colors have shown. America must be having quite an impact in the Middle-East for them to come out like this and challenge us.

Maximu§

Post as been editted to remove what could be seen as 'offensive' comments towards other nations, yet hopefully still maintains the essence of the point - Alien

[edit on 7-7-2005 by alien]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:00 PM
    link   
    LOL!! @ the idea of the US, who is having problems with disgruntled orphans and widows in Iraq taking on two other, real, threats!!!

Man, in some ways it is like watching a bull die at the hands of the mantador(sp?).

Death by a million cuts.

If the US was to start to act like a "friend" it would either ask for permission to continue the Iraqi mission, with the help of the UN, and progessively remove the western troops from that area. It would show an act of good faith and respect - while still getting things done.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:12 PM
    link   
    Why do we have to move? Its not their countries that we are in? They can go... themselves, if the counties we are in request that we leave this its understandable. But for china and the Russians to tell us to leave because they don't like our military presence that's keeping them in check is so hilarious.

LOL!! @ the idea of the US, who is having problems with disgruntled orphans and widows in Iraq taking on two other, real, threats!!!

If you had a brain and some military knowledge you would know that what you said is so dumb and ignorant its funny. But keep on posting that as it would take to much of my time to educate you and I need a good laugh one in a while.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:26 PM
    link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

If you had a brain and some military knowledge you would know that what you said is so dumb and ignorant its funny. But keep on posting that as it would take to much of my time to educate you and I need a good laugh one in a while.

- I would first like to point out that the first personal jab at intelligence was his. So no warnings if I later pop off - right?

Buddy, listen to me. If you walk around like you can not be touched, someone will touch you. This is a natural law, everywhere you look. For you to think the US is somehow above, or beyond such a thing only underlines your limited understanding of human behaviour, and your propensity to tow party line...

Now all that said, you are not leaving because "they told you to", you are leaving because there is a time and place to stand ground, and over bigger threats, for little reward is a stupid time to get into a pissing contest. Deal with one thing, then move to another...

Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:14 AM
    link   

Why do we have to move? Its not their countries that we are in? They can go... themselves, if the counties we are in request that we leave this its understandable.

Think about it this way - how would we react if Russia and China started setting up permanent military bases in Mexico and Canada? Something tells me we wouldn't be too happy about it. We might even be willing to go to war over it.

As far as Russia and China being "no threat", I'd say that is dangerously deluded. Either country can glass enough US cities to take the US out of the picture, provided they are willing to absorb the inevitable retaliatory strike. None of the parties would be able to claim "victory", but they can certainly destroy us even if they can't actually "beat" us.

[edit on 7/7/05 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 01:56 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Passer By
    Buddy, listen to me. If you walk around like you can not be touched, someone will touch you. This is a natural law, everywhere you look. For you to think the US is somehow above, or beyond such a thing only underlines your limited understanding of human behaviour, and your propensity to tow party line...

So can your nation touch us ? Buddy!
    I'd like to see anybody try, China or russia or both!

Originally posted by Passer By
    Now all that said, you are not leaving because "they told you to", you are leaving because there is a time and place to stand ground, and over bigger threats, for little reward is a stupid time to get into a pissing contest. Deal with one thing, then move to another...
    Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Little reward ? Are you completely ignorant of geopolitical situations in the world ? Do you understand the absolute advantage of such strategic postion?
    I bet you dotn even knwowhere Uzbeckistan is! To have a base in the Center of Asia, within close proximity to all major asian powers is the so advantageous that it is like fighting cavemen with AK's. HEck from that reagion we got eyes on China, Russian, India all powerfull nations in Asia and you go drivelling abotu how we shoudl seek permission and kiss behind! Yeah right, these ppl will be looking down the wrong end our gun thats all.
    Why shoudl we ask anybodies permission, this isnt school, we dont need anybodies help, all were saying is just dont get in our way, thats all. Seek Permission !
    whos France? Chinas ? Russias ? for their great contibution to america? Dont make me laugh!
    I think, if the US really had to, it could take out both Russia and China together easily, but with nukes, we wont bother sending marines at all.
    Just because people see the American forces using soldiers and stuff instead of irradiating the whole place doesnt mean that we are weak or are failing!
    If wanted, we could have irradiated everybody in Iraq and set up Shell pumps in Iraq but insted we sent marines their to fight not because it is easy but because it is right!
    Dont mistake our kindness for weakness! We will strike when the iron is hot and strike true!

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:04 PM
    link   

Originally posted by xmotex
    Think about it this way - how would we react if Russia and China started setting up permanent military bases in Mexico and Canada? Something tells me we wouldn't be too happy about it. We might even be willing to go to war over it.

We are the US, not china or russia, they ought to put up or shut up, they need to understand their place, it is not beside america but behind it!
    Yes, double standards, actually not double standards because they are not really our standard and hence a comparision cant be made!

As far as Russia and China being "no threat", I'd say that is dangerously deluded. Either country can glass enough US cities to take the US out of the picture, provided they are willing to absorb the inevitable retaliatory strike. None of the parties would be able to claim "victory", but they can certainly destroy us even if they can't actually "beat" us.

You assume this on the pressumtion that it wiil be somesort off Pearl Harbour, no way these nations are marked, one stray missile going past taiwan and we will raindown tomahawks on every city! They know better than to mess with us, especially Russia, the chinese got nothing when it comes to ICBMs compared to the russians. We can have their coutry swarming with B2s and F117's in less than 10 hours, Also with nuke clearence it will be like spring cleaning!

IAF>

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:04 PM
    link   

I think, if the US really had to, it could take out both Russia and China together easily, but with nukes, we wont bother sending marines at all.

And we would stop their retaliatory nuke strikes with what, the invincible shield of our superior American machismo? Hate to tell you, but they can nuke us as well as we can nuke them. We don't have anything that will stop a hundred ICBM's, fortunately, neither do they.

If the US goes to war with Russia and China, everybody loses.

We are the US, not china or russia, they ought to put up or shut up, they need to understand their place, it is not beside america but behind it!

Yeah, that attitude will get us far...
    Go crawl back under your bridge please.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:09 PM
    link   

Why do we have to move? Its not their countries that we are in? They can go... themselves, if the counties we are in request that we leave this its understandable.

How bout this? Brush up on the Monroe-Doctorine and find out for yourself. The issue is no with China and Russia but with the countries within where the bases are located. So ask yourself: How would Mexico and Canada feel?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:17 PM
    link   

And we would stop their retaliatory nuke strikes with what, the invincible shield of our superior American machismo? Hate to tell you, but they can nuke us as well as we can nuke them. We don't have anything that will stop a hundred ICBM's, fortunately, neither do they.

No we nuke them first and destabilize them permanently aka glass their .....
    Also the Us can effectively nuke out all probable nuclear sites and have a wall of agies and PAC-3 and the eventual missile sheid to fend off what ever pitifull attempt they call reataliation!

If the US goes to war with Russia and China, everybody loses.

All we lose is cheap DVD players, toys and $1 shirts! That aint much, we can make them all at home but guess who aint laughing much when it is done ?

Yeah, that attitude will get you far...

If attitude reflects fact then so be it! It is better to understand reality than to play the fiddle of condescension!

[edit on 7-7-2005 by IAF101]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:26 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
    How will US and its allies respond to this?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:29 PM
    link   
    The Monroe doctrine... great.
    You do know it's 2005 right?

But in a sense you're not that far off. Other major powers tend to be similarly wary of alien military encroachments in their speres of influence. For precisely the same reasons the US adopted the Monroe Doctrine.

So what makes you think Russia and China are going to tolerate our bases in their sphere of influence, any more than we would tolerate theirs in ours?

Second of all, the hypothetical example says nothing about these bases being forced on our neghbors. Say it's 2008, and Mexico & Canada (for whatever reason), invite Russia and China to set up huge military bases in their territory, a stones throw from our borders.

Do you think the US is just going to sit back and say "oh well, nothing we can do..."? Unlikely at best.

So what makes you think the second and thrid most powerful nations on the plnet are going to tolerate it. The "invincible shield of American machismo" I mentioned above? I don't think so, then again it's been a while since I was in kindergarten...

I don't know what it is with you people, you've got your heads so far up your butts with the "USA #1" BS, you can't even recognize that other nations will tend to respond to threats pretty much the same way we do - with force. And if you don't think Russia and China combined can give us pretty much as good as they get, you're too deluded to even bother speaking to.

Now, again, tackle this hypothetical: it's 2008, Canada and Mexico hate us, for whatever reason. They invite the Chinese and Russians to come set up military bases near their borders with the US.

The US a) says "Get out or else."
    or
    b) says "Oh well, that's the breaks, guess we just have to live with it."

I'm not putting any money on b.

Now, what makes you think the Russians & Chinese are going to do any different?

The may not have tactical parity with us (yet, but the Chinese in particular are starting to catch up), but they do have enough ICBM's to reduce most of the good ole USA to ash, should it come to that.

Also the Us can effectively nuke out all probable nuclear sites and have a wall of agies and PAC-3 and the eventual missile sheid to fend off what ever pitifull attempt they call reataliation!

PAC-3 can take out SCUDs, not ICBMs.
    Ditto for the SM-3's. ("agies" is a C3I system, synthesizing data from sensors and platforms, NOT a missile)

OK, I'm not responding to you anymore, at least not till you graduate junior high...

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:57 PM
    link   
    Hm in fact the US already took whole eastern Europe out of russian sphere of influence and they had bases near Russsia already during the cold war, I don't think they can do anything about it now... Although I think the whole region has no strategical positon at all.
    Besides the China would never start the war, the US is bascially already feeding them (the China US trade surplus equals the Chinese economic growth) and Bush is on Chinese payroll too... So why war.
    l

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 03:12 PM
    link   
    I used to think that Russia and China would avoid direct confrontation with the US, China because of trade issues, Russia because their military is not in great shape. But both might consider the costs and pitfalls worth it if they seriously think their soveriegnty is at stake. With the EU slowly but surely tilting towards China and away from the US (thanks to Bush & Co.) they may feel the odds of success are changing in their favor.

The US's encroachments into Eastern Europe are already stirring up the Russians' traditional paranoia about foreign invasion. Not that it's really all that paranoid, Russia has been invaded so many times they simply expect it now, it's like hurricane season in Florida.

Wheher we see it as in their interest to go to war is irrelevant anyway, it's how they see it that counts. You can go look at the period before WW1 and WW2 both and say, "well nobody is going to start a war, everybody has too much to lose."

And you'd be right.
    But guess what, people are not perfectly rational creatures, and they started them anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join