It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Op/Eds... How, What, and Where?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hello there.

I've seen references to Op/Eds in the past, and yet never actually seen one on ATS. I was thinking of perhaps starting a vaguely humorous ATS Editorial column commenting on the latest events and posts, and was wondering the following:
  • What are the rules on Op/Eds?
  • What subjects can they be about?
  • How do we submit them?
  • Where will they show up?
  • Would anyone have any interest in a semi-regular column written by yours truly, or would it be a waste of bits?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
  • Would anyone have any interest in a semi-regular column written by yours truly, or would it be a waste of bits?
Just at a guess, I think that is the point of the ATS blogs? So yuo can have a semi-regular column on ATS?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yeah, I think that a regular "column" dedicated to one member would be most appropriate for the blog space as it stands now.

I've also been curious about the Op/Ed section of ATSNN myself though; there's been a couple of things I'd like to post in there, but they'd probably be more appropriately suited to the Rant section of BTS. I'm looking forward to the response on this from the powers-that-be here...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I see what you're getting at, but I disagree.

A blog is primarily for the purpose of someone talking about themselves, whereas an Op/Ed is a social commentary on a particular event, situation, or combination thereof.

What I want to do is more akin to what one would find in a newspaper in the "offbeat" section, rather than what someone would find in a diary or journal.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
But it can be used to publish thoughts on events which happen, instead of yourself.

I guess you could attempt to get such an area for all members to sign up? But I think they'll see it just as an extension of the blogs, as really you'd get the section of the site and would be able to make it your Op/Ed section.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
What subjects can they be about?

I usually see them as current events, but there is nothing stopping anyone from doning a more obscure piece, imo

How do we submit them?

To submit using an Op/Ed form click on 'news' in the ATS tool bar. When you get the form, there will be a black bar at the top of the page(roughly) and there you will see the option for Op/Ed........

Where will they show up?

In the ATSNN forum.

I've been wanting to start a couple for a while myself..........

[edit on 6-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 6-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So would we follow the normal format for an OP/ED? I mean, if they're not specifically in reference to a news article or something, would it even get accepted?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
They get voted on like regular ATSNN submissions......so yeah, follow the normal format of an Op/Ed and do your thing....of course maybe an obligatory reference url for a background or foundation to platform jump your position....

.......it is in my experience that a well written Op/Ed gets 'accepted' or voted in........and that is something you don't have to worry about....

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The Fifth Column

Doctor Nerdling is working with the honchos on some interesting new changes to ATSNN, so I don't want to speak out of turn.

However, I did want to comment on this, first to say that it's a great topic for discussion, and second to add my opinion to the mosh.

While ATSNN is mainly a news portal with commentary right now, I'm coming more and more to want to see more original, member-generated content in ATSNN.

By that I mean more first-hand reporting, less reliance on “mainstream media” and, in that same vein, more things like this: member op/eds.

Opinions vary, and there are lots of issues, like sourcing, credibility, corroboration, journalistic standards and so forth.

However, I am convinced that any step in that direction is a positive one, and this could be one of them.

top topics

join