It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help setting up a forum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ok so lets try this again. I am starting a forum that allows for discussion SIMILAR to subjects that are discussed on ATS. I am not asking for members to join, I just want to know if someone would so graciously help me on creating it. If you want to help post here or U2U me. I am not going to put the url on here in case I am misunderstood and someone thinks I am recruiting

P.S. to mods: If this is still against the TOS in some way please let me know so I can stop doing it the wrong way. So if it is just delete it, I can get support from more helpful places if needed

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Do you have webspace anywhere to host it? If not you can just use a free proboard or InvisionFree hosting. If you do have webspace I'd recommend installing XMB, the message board software I specialize in, and the software ATS was originally based off of.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm currently using proboards because it's the only free forum I knew of at the time.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well...

Dont plagiarize.
Use Colors that work well with eachother.

and uhh

good luck.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well my forum really sucks. I am better when I am like a mod or something so I don't run the whole thing. Well anyways can one of the mods send this to the trash because I am just gonna close my board.

Thanks

fum

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i can make u a subdomain at my site and upload ur own custom invision pwoerbaord with a custom skin i can make for you for 5 dollars

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
If you are still interested in trying you could try phpBB2 its free and easy to set up on your server. All you need is an sql database and the phpbb2. Read the text docs on uploading and go from there
the phpbb2 does not have the options that invisionboard does however. I am sure though that invision board has gone pay now but if you can rouse up a copy of the old invisionboard 1.3 you are laughing. Once again its easy to configure, just follow the text readme instructions using an ftp progy and making sure your host has a sql database available for you to use.

my host www.2globalmart.com... has the plan06 account for 30 us a year. it include a free phpbb2 thats as easy to configure as cheese is to cut. Invisionboard has more admin options but the phpbb2 is a good starter too.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have two forums, one is XMB and the other is phpbb. I have tweaked both of them, so if you are still interested in starting a forum, I can help you some.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Which do you think is better? ezboard, or proboards?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Both that I have used have their advantages and disadvatages. XMB is easier to use, but phpbb is more flexible, so it is a toss up. Here they both are if your want to compare them. Keep in mind that they are both about different topics.

www.all-things-paranormal.com...

www.bradballinger.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How do i use XMB? is there a program I can download for it ? I like this site www.bradballinger.com... Which one did you use for that and how did you get it that way?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
You get it here www.xmbforum.com...

It is fairly esay to use, just check out some of the help forums or ask me if you need any help. You can change the look with templates.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
XMB looks good but I can't get it to work on apache. Can you help me out.

[edit on 9/19/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
What errors are you getting? My server is an Appache server so it will work with it.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I just wanted to post a reply now that I have actually had time to do some work on All Things Paranormal. You can check it out and see how customizable phpbb is. By the way if you do go with phpbb and are using Adsense I have written some code to make the ads more relevant. You can check it out at the phpbb Knowledge base or right here.

I just wanted to post this because I had only been working with phpbb for about a week the last time I posted on this thread.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
www.invisionboard.com...

good for newbies and it pro

[edit on 8-10-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
www.invisionboard.com...

Yeah, for $70-180.

XMB is my favorite free open source message board system, but theres alot that I dont like about it. Im working on my own right now to be released under either BSD or GPL license in the coming year. Using ADOdb as a reliable database backbone, with Smarty as a templating engine and phpGACL for permissions and ACLs. I doubt itll be big, and I dont even need it for myself, but im goin ahead anyways.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Originally posted by bodrul
www.invisionboard.com...

Yeah, for $70-180.

XMB is my favorite free open source message board system, but theres alot that I dont like about it. Im working on my own right now to be released under either BSD or GPL license in the coming year. Using ADOdb as a reliable database backbone, with Smarty as a templating engine and phpGACL for permissions and ACLs. I doubt itll be big, and I dont even need it for myself, but im goin ahead anyways.

i got 1.3 if anyone wants it ( its the free one that used to give )

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
www.forumsplace.com...

its a free PHP-BB forum
the site host the forum and everything

you can customize the look of the forum, admin user permissions, etc.

one of the best free forums out there

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I use Forumotion to host my clan's forum, very customizable and so far I have no complaints - www.forumotion.com
What I specifically like about it is that it offers an option of changing your forum address whenever you want so if you get tired of one name in URL, you change it and tell your members to update their bookmarks.

<<   2 >>

join