It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystery of the U2U

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I just jumped onto ATS and saw I had a new U2U. When I went to read it, however, there were no new U2Us. I scrolled through them all incase one was marked as unread for some reason, but nothin'. Any ideas? In the past, I have gotten U2Us that don't gain a "read" status that I have to delte to get rid of the new U2U notice, but this time there's nothing that's bold, and it wasn't there the last time I logged in.

Obviously not a critical issue, just a minor annoyance.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
this usually happens when you receive a U2U that has also been sent to another member or members. Quite often it's a U2U from admin. You will have the U2U notification showing until all of the recipients have read it. The best thing to do is to work your way down through your recent U2Us , deleting or saving until the notification disappears.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yeah it get that sometimes...

its pretty annoying to be honest

*cries*

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The odd thing about it, though, is no new U2U, including mod-mail, came during the 8 hours I was away. Only the message.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What you're observing, jake, happens to me everynow and then as well.

You got a new u2u, but when you got to the member center, it registered as if you had read it so it wasn't bolded. A new pm came for you, and is on the top of the list (assuming it's ordered by date) but you're just not noticing it because it's regular text. Click on it and read it.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I hate when the U2U Will not go away, I have to delete them to get them to leave.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This might be one reason why it appears to be read:

""Privacy:" Apparently, fallout from the troubles in chat a few months ago has caused speculation among members that "private" communications by be reviewed by site administration. Let me be very clear and lay this rumor to rest, yes, we can and have reviewed private chats and private U2U's on occasion. This is a privately owned and funded website domain that allows open membership without age restriction. There are certain liabilities associated with operating such an environment. Among our "due diligence" duties is investigating reports of potential illegal acts and potential threats against the community. We don't routinely examine private messages, ever. And only review these messages when given good cause."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Good call, Amory!

It had the same sender and the same subject as the last one I got. Whoops!

Thanks

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Wanna see something scary?

My U2U box, hehe...

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
1785!!!

You must be very busy

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
1785!!!

You must be very busy

No he just never deletes anything

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Am I the only person who deletes things after reading them? Of course I don't get 1785 messages
-- but I think that would just make me delete faster
1785 messages Yikes!!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yes, JustMe, I think you are. I only delete the ones that screw up my notification.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
Am I the only person who deletes things after reading them?

Nope... I'm in the same boat you are. I don't see the reasoning behind leaving something like "NEW ATS FORUM" or "Skeptic bought NEW underwear!".

I haven't bought a new U2U quota since I joined, and have no thinking of doing so... unless I somehow got really popular in a day. Also, any little strain I can relieve the server of (such as holding my useless U2Us), I'd love to do.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

No he just never deletes anything

Actually, this is AFTER my great U2U purge last year...

The oldest ones are from April of last year...

I delete the ones that mess up the notification (which is almost daily, hehe..)

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Man, you guys with over a 1000 u2u's...I'd hate to see your:
Garage
Basement
Trunk of Car
Closets
Cupboards
Medicine Chest
Sock Drawers

unbelievable :!

JungleJake, what Amory reported, has happenend to me too. Not often, but now and then

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Garage - Good
Basement - Good
Trunk of Car - Pretty Good (still haven't replaced a spare, so I have a blown tire sitting in there)
Closets -- Let's not talk about this
Cupboards -- good
Medicine Chest -- good
Sock Drawers -- a lil' stinky

I reference back to previous conversations, be them through threads or U2U, all the time, so I fear deleting 'em. The ATS notifications and info on SO's new underwear I get rid of, though, along with those annoying never-read guys.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Questions answered.

If you'd like to discuss this issue further, I suggest you u2u either me or Gazrok, as we've roughly the same number of u2u's.

new topics

top topics

join