It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon-Latter-Day-Saints

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Why are so many people so urgent to criticize the mormon religion. Most people claim and prove it as a negative thing, because they believe that the only reason the faith is becoming much more vast is because the leaders force the members to go on a 2-year mission to spread the faith, but if people actually knew what was going on, they'd know that the people who serve the missions actually choose to go on them...they are not forced...and also many people refer to the mormons as a cult, but as I understand it, the word cult actually refers to a group of people with a certain togetherness all having the same beliefs...so if this is so..then I guess people could call all religions cults, based on their beliefs..the word "cult" has since its past has created a negative view of its definition as a type of "bad" group, but in actuality it isn't, it is just the people who have the problem...

[edit on 1-7-2005 by prepared4thefuture]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
not the entire world persay, but I have had dreams of my world coming to an end...

[edit on 6/30/2005 by petey_pongo23]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Two guys on their mission came by my place last January when we were in a cold snap and helped me drag my Christmas tree to the pickup spot. We got in a good conversation with no forcefulness on their part. I knew what they were doing, and they knew I was just out to drag my tree to the curb. We ended up chatting for about an hour - nice kids. I asked flat out what made their faith different from others, they asked me my oppinions on things.... a very open and relaxed exchange and I learned a lot.

They came back a few weeks later with my invitation but brought an elder with them. So much for an open exchange. They looked a bit uncomfortable and the exchange of ideas and my interest ended. They guy cut them off from answering my questions, and he pressed me on agreeing with them - almost argumentative. I was courteous as I would be to any guest in my home, but man I could not wait for this guy to leave. I wish the two guys on their mission would stop back by sometimes..

Anyway- the idea of forcing missions. While these kids aren't forced, how much crap do you think they would catch from their parents and their church if they didn't go?

People are offended though - I'm not sure why either. The unknown? I've found all I've known to be excellent people as one would expect from any coworker or friend. I remember hiding in a coat closet with my next door neighbor and her kids when she was babysitting me once when the men on their mission came around. It was panic time when the bell rang. That always baffled me. She even came up with some line about the dog only barking at evil people and made us keep quiet until they were a few houses away. Shortly after that they moved away and declared their new home a church for tax purposes and proceeded to go nuts. Perhaps she should have let the guys in. The dog always barked at her too.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hey! Where'd your original post go?

This was it - I replied to the right one:

Why are so many people offended by mormons. Many people claim that we "force" people to go on missions to try and spread the faith, but the truth is these people go because they choose to. And besides how many people who criticize this religion have actually attended services and actually tried to accept it....

[edit on 30-6-2005 by RedBalloon]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Dunno why you made two posts about this, probably one should be closed and the other continued.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It's only fair that I get to post 3 times too, yes? Here goes:

My questions.

I have some unanswered questions about Mormonism in this thread:

I find it more comprehensive of a discussion.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

Bankrolling useless points...fun fun.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I had 2 young Mormons stop by my house about 6 months ago. I listened to what they had to say & they answered all my questions. I was very impressed by theri politeness & proffesionalism. We had a good conversation. They left me some material & after looking at it I told them I wasnt too interested at this time when they gave me a follow up phone call. But I dont have any negative feelings towards Mormons at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

Dunno why you made two posts about this, probably one should be closed and the other continued.

Thank you.
In review of such, determination = Thread Closed

seekerof

new topics

top topics

join