It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Country Makes the Best Whiskey?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
OK, Scotts, Canadians, Japanese- I know you don't think there is an "e" in whisky, so I don't want to hear it- I know.

Anyway this thread is for discussion of your favorite distilling process and the best brands. I've created it so that poor Amorymeltzer doesn't have to whack me with the red-tag for accidentally turning the debate commentary thread into a booze debate.

I for one am a straight bourbon drinker- although Tennesee whiskey is just as good (the only real difference is charcoal filtering).
Don't ask me why, I guess its the corn malt as opposed to barley, or the sour mash process.

What I can tell you is that the Canadian stuff my little brother insists on drinking for reasons of price is hardly fit to smell, much less drink, and the Irish Whiskey I've tried was not as bad but still harsh.
On the other hand, a good American brand is usually very easy to drink, especially if you don't mind paying the extra 10 bucks to buy the stronger single-barrel. (i'll never forgive Jack Daniels for taking everything down to 80 proof, and what the hell kind of Whiskey is distilled in a dry county!?)

Anyway, post your flames on American whiskey and profess your love for scotch here. Unless you're buying, it will fall on deaf ears, but I'm sure there will be plenty other than myself who take your side.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The Irish invented whiskey...just look at where the name comes from...Uisce Beatha, Gaelic for "Water of Life".

I have tried many whiskeys down through the years and despite the undoubted shouts of bias from the sidelines, Irish Whiskey is still the best there is.

Vagabond, you claim Irish Whiskey is too harsh for you? What brands did you drink? I can tell you you certainly didn't drink anything from the Midelton distilleries of County Cork.

Try a straight Jameson. A plain ordinary blend, cheapest of the Jameson range. Sip it, let it roll around your mouth and rest a bit on your tongue. It is one of the smoothest blends out there. Go upscale with the 12 years or the 1780 for a bigger treat. If you can get your hands on Jameson Gold, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Then there is Powers Gold Label. The best selling Whiskey in Ireland for decades. C'mon, a whole country can't be wrong, right? This whiskey is a bit harsh to drink straight, but it makes an incredible Hot Whiskey. Some sugar or honey, boiling water first, then a generous few fingers of Powers with a slice of lemon pierced with cloves to garnish. It cures colds and insomnia. My Granmother swore by them, drinking one before going to bed each night. Never had a cold or a flu and lived out her 96 years by herself in her own house, fit as a fiddle.

I love whiskey and I would love to know which brands you like, so I can try them out and compare notes with you or anyone else who wants to start a Whiskey Appreciation Society here at ATS!!! Hey, even whisky lovers join in!! Scotch, bourbon, whatever, tell us what you like!

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I have to say Scotland, hands down.

The rest seem very harsh to me while Scotch is so smoooooth....

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I have to say Scotland, hands down.
The rest seem very harsh to me while Scotch is so smoooooth....

Nah the smokey flavor does nothing for me. Bourbon if good is among the finest.

Right now I have a bottle of 19 Year old WL Weller. Has a great nose and is sooooooo smooth.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Which country makes the best whiskey?

Why that would be the country of Tennessee of course. Gentleman Jack wins hands down!

Peace

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Being Scottish, I'd love to say Scotland makes the best whisky, but my all time favourite whisky hails from Ireland - Bushmills 10yr old malt.

regards
flc

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Tennessee ....Jack Daniels = Yummy :w:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eventuality
Tennessee ....Jack Daniels = Yummy :w:

lol

i wondered how long it would be till you find this thread D

*has flashbacks to a drinking sessions around Eventuality house*

that was a bad night

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Being only 21 I'm only getting my start on finding what I like, but I've learned a couple of things quite quickly. I suspect I'll be learning quite a bit more on the 4th of July weekend- I'm heading for Laughlin for an early birthday celebration to shoot a little craps and spend my winnings less than judiciously. I've been meaning to find some Makers Mark

1. Whiskey is pretty much the best hard drink out there. I won't go near Vodka, I consider tequilla an act of desperation, and although Jager and a few other German products aren't bad, they don't do as much for me as Whiskey.

2. Very little of what you'll find in the typical supermarket is drinkable in straight form. If you don't feel like spending about 30 bucks on 750ml, you should probably buy some coke. I don't know who told Wikipedia that Ten High was pretty good for its price range- but give me a freakin break.

3. The ranking of whiskies I have tried multiple times is as follows, with reasons attributed. I'm not ranking a few lesser brands that I've just had once or twice.

Ranking
1. Evan Williams Single Barrel- Possibly not a fair ranking because it's the only single-barrel product I've tried yet. Jack single barrel runs 20 bucks higher and I suspect that you're only buying the name. It's 6 points stronger than most big-batches (which have to be 80 proof for broad exportability) and once you swallow it you're done with it- it barely kicks at all.

2. Gentleman Jack- If memory serves, only 80 proof, which takes something away, but almost as smooth as EW Single Barrel.

3. Jim Beam Black Label- Another 86 proof product, a few dollars cheaper than 80 proof Jack Daniels, and equally good.

4. Jack Daniels- Nothing special but easy to drink if you're a whiskey drinker at all. There is something to be said for having a good opinion of your distiller, and that is lacking from Jack. Besides being located in a dry county, Jack Daniel's sells their label as much as they sell whiskey, and they've kicked down their strength in the persuit of the all mighty dollar. They're a hair away from becoming the Mc Donalds of the industry as far as I'm concerned- God forgive them if they start sacrificing quality for production, which I fear could be the next step.

5. Jameson Irish Whiskey- I have no idea what kind it was, but that stuff likes to let you know that it's working with a burn in your throat about 10 seconds after you drink. Not pleasant for me, as I already have severe acid reflux and gastritis problems.

6. Ten High- This would rank nowhere near number six if I'd tried more brands. It's got the alcohol smell characteristic of extremely high proof rums. Apparently aging is not a priority for whoever is responsible for this travesty.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I would agree on the Evan WIlliams SIngle Barrel. Its pretty good. Here is what I have in my cellar from the Bourbon family.

W.L. Weller 19 year old Single Cask bourbon

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 yr Bourbon

Anchor Old Potrero (Made by the same company in SF that makes Anchor Steam beer) which is a Rye type.

All are good, but the top two are way above the Anchor

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Does anybody know where somebody living in the US can get their hands on Maker's Mark 101.5 proof? I've read that it's only for export markets now for some reason.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Tenesee by far takes the baton for the win. :w:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Does anybody know where somebody living in the US can get their hands on Maker's Mark 101.5 proof? I've read that it's only for export markets now for some reason.

No idea where you can get your hands on it in the USA, but just writing to tell you, on your comments I went and sampled some bourbons tonight. Maker's Mark 101.5 was one of the lovely shots thrown my way tonight. I also has some old St. Nick, some John Williams and some T.W. Samuels.

Overall the Maker's Mark hit the spot with the T.W. Samuels not so far behind. My quest continues to find a bottle of Evan Williams in Japan!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
OK, Scotts, Canadians, Japanese- I know you don't think there is an "e" in whisky, so I don't want to hear it- I know.

This is a rip off of my thread, and the Irish make the best "Uisge Beatha" in the world, American whisky what joke, it's as bad as there beer

Who invented Whiskey
posted on 25/6/2005 at 11:07 PM

The Irish spell it with an E after all they invented it, Canadian Rye = crap

Whisky World

THE DIMPLE / THE PINCH / HAIG'S DIMPLE

THE ULTIMATE WHISKY LINK EXCHANGE

[edit on 1/7/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It depends on what type of whiskey you're talking about.

Scotch- Scotland
Now if you're talking Rye whiskey, Canada. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Crown Royal, you'll know what all Rye should taste like.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating under age drinking or driving under the influence. That should take care of the lawyers.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Triple post, a record for me.

Damn, must be the whiskey.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Just had my first taste of Makers Mark 90 proof. Don't count on this bottle lasting very long- especially when my brother finds out I've got it.

This is gonna take a couple days of compare and contrast. There is something different about it- haven't got my finger on it yet. I think I actually like it better than Evan Williams Single Barrel. Excellent pick, stronger than the others on my list, very good, not much more expensive than jack or jim, and a few bucks cheaper than EW Single. Personally I think if you care about a 5 dollar difference you've probably got better things to worry about than whiskey, but I've been told that I'm a bit irresponsible when it comes to things like that.

Oh disclaimer time... The Vagabond doesn't give a rat's something-or-another if you drink, what you drink, or how old you are when you do it. That's between you, the BATF, and your father's belt. Personally I'd rather be sober and not get by butt worn out- but that's your choice kids.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Specifically, the best aged single malts come from the isle of Islay.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I think intrepid is plastered after posting a triple Scotch.

Why not have another?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join