It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Cruise says we are not alone in the universe.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
sg.news.yahoo.com...

BERLIN (Reuters) - Hollywood actor Tom Cruise not only battles creatures from outer space in his latest film "War of the Worlds," he also believes aliens exist, he told a German newspaper on Wednesday.
Asked in an interview with the tabloid daily Bild if he believed in aliens, Cruise said: "Yes, of course. Are you really so arrogant as to believe we are alone in this universe?

"Millions of stars, and we're supposed to be the only living creatures? No, there are many things out there, we just don't know," Cruise, 42, said in the interview published in German.

Cruise is a follower of the Scientology church founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, and his recent willingness to discuss the faith has raised eyebrows in the media.

looks like we have a believer here. congratulations guys for converting him

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
scientology got to him first .......

www.scientology-lies.com...
Do Scientologists believe in space aliens?

Scientology does teach that many of our problems are caused by the spirits of space aliens that are stuck to our bodies. However, that teaching is considered confidential and is only taught to Scientologists who have reached a certain level, known in Scientology as OT III - so a lot of Scientologists are actually unaware that this is an important Scientology teaching.

Scientology Teachings about Space Aliens
What, exactly, does Scientology say about space aliens?

In the materials for OT III (Operating Thetan level 3), L. Ron Hubbard writes that, 75 million years ago, the head of the Galactic Federation, made up of 76 planets, was a being named Xenu. Faced with an overpopulation problem, he brought beings to this planet, blew them up with hydrogen bombs, and packaged them. Their spirits now infest our bodies: he says "One's body is a mass of individual thetans stuck to oneself or to the body." Scientologists at this level try to rid themselves of these thetans (spirits) by helping each one to remember the painful experiences of being blown up like that.

There are other Scientology teachings that relate to space aliens. The book "Have You Lived Before This Life?", described in Scientology advertisements as "a cold-blooded account of your last years", contains dozens of case histories of memories experienced by Scientologists, some of which include adventures in outer space.

Even the glossary in Scientology's What Is Scientology? contains a definition for the phrase "space opera", which, according to Scientology, relates to periods on "the whole track" (that is, our whole history, going back through many lives and millions of years), and it contains "space travel, spaceships, spacemen" and so on.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Considering that Cruise doesn't seem to be alone in his own head, I think I will wait for someone a bit more credited to make that anouncement.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
i still wanna punch him repeatedly...Im tired of ole tom giving his 2 cents to a world who could cares less. Friggin actors, you'd think they cured cancer by the way the media hangs on their ramblings. Aside from that, I think he is a genious

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Did you all see him talk to Matt Lauer? (sp?)

The guy totally told him off without any proof to back himself up, whatta' jerk.

-wD

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
To be hponest it's unfair to blame him for giving his opinion, it's only publicised because the media do it. I noticed in 'Team America' there was a gripe against Hollywood which I didn't understand properly at first, but after watching a bit of Fox and such like I quickly noticed that whenever there is a news story they then find out what the folks 'over in Hollywood' think. To be honest if people didn't ask the questions they probably wouldn't bother to voice their opinions. The media choose what's put out on air and they obviously think that a lot of people actually care what famous people think for some reason and value that more than an experienced person they've never heard of. These people are called things like 'Chavs' over here and they seem to make up a large proportion of the population.
I think if you ask these famous people, they are probably quite bemused that anyone actually cares what they think on the whole.
Next time I go to some event and meet some I'll ask them what they think.
I do know thet they seem very (pleasantly) suprised when you talk to them like a normal person that just does a job that you appreciate.
Picking on the poor guy just because he voiced his opinion after being asked does seem very unfair, and his statement was very true and I often say it to people myself.

We only hear their 'ramblings' because the media question them and pump the info out, for whatever reason. I doubt that the majority of the time they will go out of their way to make sure their opinion is heard and published when it comes to matters like this which are nothing really to do with their career.

I think that seeing as everyone, including me, only knows him as the edited version that is pumped out by the media to suit their own devices, to make any damning comments about him or anyone is unfair.

The fact he can make such an intellignet and enlightened comment is a good thing in my opinion.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL

The guy totally told him off without any proof to back himself up, whatta' jerk.

The thing that bothered me was his arrogence and egotism. When did Cruise do research to be aware of what Matt does and does not know? Or did his big head not even consider that someone may know something that he doesn't? Flippen troll!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Wondering if he has a new movie coming out.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think that it would be pretty damn funny if Matt DID have a degree in psychiatry.

PS Sorry, just thinking out loud-er.

PSS Alright, I'll stop.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by Jonna]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Originally posted by WeBDeviL

The thing that bothered me was his arrogence and egotism. When did Cruise do research to be aware of what Matt does and does not know? Or did his big head not even consider that someone may know something that he doesn't? Flippen troll!

Does anyone have a video or transcript of this so we know what it's about?
What side was he taking? What arguements was he making, etc?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Wondering if he has a new movie coming out.

War of the Worlds

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Uh i know about the film, I'm seeing the previes tomorrow (UK), I meant is there a link of the interview..

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Favorite quotes:

Cruise: And I won't talk about what I don't want to talk about.

Cruise: Matt, you have to understand this. Here we are today, where I talk out against drugs and psychiatric abuses of electric shocking people, okay, against their will, of drugging children with them not knowing the effects of these drugs. Do you know what Aderol is? Do you know Ritalin? Do you know now that Ritalin is a street drug? Do you understand that?

Lauer: The difference is —

Cruise: No, no, Matt.

Lauer: This wasn't against her will, though.

Cruise: Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt —

Lauer: But this wasn't against her will.

Cruise: Matt, I'm asking you a question.

Lauer: I understand there's abuse of all of these things.

Cruise: No, you see. Here's the problem. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do.

Lauer: Aren't there examples, and might not Brooke Shields be an example, of someone who benefited from one of those drugs?

Cruise: All it does is mask the problem, Matt. And if you understand the history of it, it masks the problem. That's what it does. That's all it does. You're not getting to the reason why. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance.

Lauer: So, postpartum depression to you is kind of a little psychological gobbledygook —

Cruise: No. I did not say that.

Lauer: I'm just asking what you, what would you call it?

Cruise: No. No. Abso— Matt, now you're talking about two different things.

Lauer: But that's what she went on the antidepressant for.

Cruise: But what happens, the antidepressant, all it does is mask the problem. There's ways, [with] vitamins and through exercise and various things... I'm not saying that that isn't real. That's not what I'm saying. That's an alteration of what I'm saying. I'm saying that drugs aren't the answer, these drugs are very dangerous. They're mind-altering, antipsychotic drugs. And there are ways of doing it without that so that we don't end up in a brave new world. The thing that I'm saying about Brooke is that there's misinformation, okay. And she doesn't understand the history of psychiatry. She doesn't understand in the same way that you don't understand it, Matt.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
So, at least his assertive. Sounds like his got an opinion his sure of. Just because his an actor doesn;t mean his a din, and from what's been posted there he looks like his got a strong opinion for some reason.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
So, at least his assertive. Sounds like his got an opinion his sure of. Just because his an actor doesn;t mean his a din, and from what's been posted there he looks like his got a strong opinion for some reason.

It's not his opinion that bothers me as much as the egotism that comes with thinking he knows everything as he seems to claim. I'm actually against medicating to solve problems, but if you have something like cancer then it would be irresponsible not too.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I quickly scanned through the transcript and he seems OK to me, his found something in his life that he believes passionately in and that's good.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and just becasue their famous doesn't mean it counts for any less, his no more arrogant than the rest of us when we get passionate about something.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Does anyone have a video or transcript of this so we know what it's about?
What side was he taking? What arguements was he making, etc?

It was on the Daily Show yesterday, and they made him look pretty stupid. As you can read in Jonna 's post he was being pretty arrogant to Matt Lauer.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
It's not his opinion that bothers me as much as the egotism that comes with thinking he knows everything as he seems to claim. I'm actually against medicating to solve problems, but if you have something like cancer then it would be irresponsible not too.

I know what you mean but I think a lot of us get like that when we strongly believe in something, it shows commitment and integrity in what we believe.

With regards to the cancer thing, my missus just did the Moonlight walk which goesz to Canceer charities, and a lot of money goes to some alternative therapy type place in Bristol which actually has a lot of success from people who reject normal medicines..

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I suppose that the transcript does not do it justice as you would really have to see the aggressive mannerisms that Cruise displays. Whe I first watched it, I thought it was going to get physical (pointed finger jabbing to the shoulder, kicking his own chair out and that sort of thing).

Who said that it had anything with him being famous anyway?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
ok to be fair, tom is allowed his opinion.
The media is allowed to choose who is important enough to comment on topics too.
In My opinion, I feel that celebrities speaking out other than on acting is lame. I dont need nor care about what a star has to offer on most topics.
This is why I tend to turn the channel when neccessary.

The main reason I ranted was because I am sick of seeing his face everywhere. I thought I was safe on ATS. aaack!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join