It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhism hint on scientific principles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Is it just me or do some buddhist principles and teachings seem to fit perfectly with scientific theories?

like reincarnation being an example of conservation of momentum, or the philosophy that nothing stays the same to be an example of evolution or even the universe itself. What do you all think, im sure that there are more in other religions, but the buddhist connections struck me the most.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
budhists had it all figured out way before the first scientist was even born....its only novadays that science is slowly catching up and empirically proving stuff budhists wrote about thousands of years ago.

How did they know all this things? They saw it, and they understood it.....Vedas are amazing

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
FooDof,

I defenatly recommend reading "The Tao Of Physics" by Frijof Capra, its a great book describing the parralles between eastern philosophy and modern physics.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
All organized (and then reformed) religions following Siddhartha Guatama, the awakened Buddah a full half millenium before the Christian avatar, are a pathetic, pale shadow of illumination. Western philosophy only began to hint at illumination by the existentialist movement and is still mired in stunted Roman Empire thinking.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Of course it has scientific principles! Do you think religions came out of thin air? They were created, based on ideas that the priests percieved at their point in time. It is only logical that some of these ideas would end up being true. Like mentioned in the original post, all religions have something to offer science.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I've read about that before, but cannot accurately remember any connections between science and Buddhism. I think it's a stretch to say that reincarnation fits in wih conservation of energy (after all, there are more people on Earth today than there were 1000 years ago, therefore souls had to be 'created' and nothing seems to be conserved) but connections definately exist, you're right about that.

What I find more interesting than that is the fact that the Dalai Lama is allowing science to be taught in Buddhist monastaries. Even today, many religions like christianity don't take to kindly to science, and you would never see modern science being taught in a church. Buddhism seems to have nothing to hide, and is able to change with the times which I think is very impressive.

"With the ever growing impact of science on our lives, religion and spirituality have a greater role to play reminding us of our humanity. There is no contradiction between the two. Each gives us valuable insights into the other. Both science and the teachings of the Buddha tell us of the fundamental unity of all things. This understanding is crucial if we are to take positive and decisive action on the pressing global concern with the environment." - Dalai Lama

By the way merkeva, I think I'll buy thay book when I get the chance, sounds very interesting!

[edit on 1-7-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Do zhang you wont regret it it doesnt only touch on buddhism but taoism , I Ching , and even hindi. I also recommend reading one of his latest books Web of Life. Feel free to u2u me if you want more info.

Merkz out..

top topics

join