It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada becomes 3rd country to recognize gay marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Same-sex legislation passed
Last Updated Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:07:41 EDT
CBC News
The Liberals' controversial same-sex marriage legislation has passed final reading the House of Commons, sailing through with a vote of 158 for and 133 against.

Supported by most members of the Liberals, the Bloc Quebecois and the NDP, the legislation passed easily, making Canada only the third country in the world, after the Netherlands and Belgium, to officially recognize same-sex unions.

www.cbc.ca...

I know that some will say that the vote tally shows that the issue is still divisive... but I truly think that no one is penalized in this. And no one's rights are being trampled. This just recognizes that gays and lesbians, like anybody, have a right to happiness and having that little extra that formalizes their bond. It's a progressive and bold move.

I'm pretty damn proud to be Canadian!

EDITED to tweak title

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Otts]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Well, it's a little more honest than the watered down Civil Unions legislation of a certain small ovine nation in the antipodes.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Well, it's a little more honest than the watered down Civil Unions legislation of a certain small ovine nation in the antipodes.

I like the way you put that.

I was thinking of this subject earlier, driving home from vacation. Don't know why. Civil unions. To be fair, gay people love their mates just as much as straights.

I am a Christian, so I can see being hammered by my fellow believers. I used to be more judgemental myself. I'm still a bit fundy, tho. Moreso with myself, I suppose. This is one of those issues like abortion where ultimately, its between God and the individual.

At the divorce rate straights are going, I'd say their biggest threat is unto themselves.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Sounds like most Canadians are rational people who think homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky
Sounds like most Canadians are rational people who think homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals.

How religious a people are Canadians, statistically?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
ECK - I'm posting a link to a 2001 chart. According to that, 43 percent of Canadians are Catholic, 16 % claim no religion, and the other Christian confessions garner between 2 to 9 percent each.

www12.statcan.ca...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Britain introduced a civil unions bill last year giving same sex couples the same legal rights as married heterosexual couples as long as they registered their partnership at a civil ceremony. It's not reffered to as "marriage" but really the difference is just in the name, equal legal rights is the main thing homosexual couples want. Germany has had the same thing since 2001.

The lobby against it was minor, a few Reverends and Conservative MPs, though the party largely backed it. The people were mainly either in support or remained indifferent.

It's not such a huge issue in many western countries as it is in the US, for many reasons. The main one, apart from the fervency of religious conviction is that it hasn't been seized on as a political tool in any great way. The UK Conservatives tried to take a leaf from the Republicans at the last election and turn abortion into a electoral issue, which backfired badly. They'd have been practically suicidal to try it with gay rights. That's not to say it isn't an issue at all, but it's nowhere near the level of the US.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by kegs]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm a Christian (Southern Baptist) and a life-long Republican.

I just see civil unions as being the most reasonable compromise on the issue. With civil unions, couples get their spousal rights and it has nothing to do with the church sanctioning them.

If the church is ever forced to change doctrine to acommodate minorities, from outside or within, it's time to head for the hills.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well, that's what it is in Canada - legalization of civil weddings for gays. I don't see how the state could legislate religious marriage... that would actually be abuse of power by a government.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Well, that's what it is in Canada - legalization of civil weddings for gays. I don't see how the state could legislate religious marriage... that would actually be abuse of power by a government.

In the aftermath of 9-11 and the Patriot Acts, I wouldn't put anything past the government.

top topics

join