It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Second IndyMedia Server Seized This Year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yesterday, an IndyMedia server was siezed by Police in the UK, making it the second such investigation and seizure of equipment this year.

www.indymedia.org.uk
On Monday, June 27th, Indymedia Bristol's server was seized by the police. An Indymedia volunteer was also arrested during the raid. Last week, police demanded access to the server to gain the IP details of a posting. The alternative media outlet is receiving advice from civil liberties organisations and the NUJ. Before being legally forced to hand over the server, Indymedia Bristol stated: "We do not intend to voluntarily hand over information to the police as they have requested". A further statement from Bristol Indymedia volunteers is expected soon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a new and disturbing trend.

Related News Links:
www.theregister.co.uk
www.theinquirer.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
INDYMEDIA UK SERVERS SIEZED BY FBI!
Indymedia Shutdown

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
worrying. i think they are preparing for a clamp down on internet freedom, under the guise of terrorsim of course.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
i agree...i wonder what they were looking for specifically

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
From SO's source link,

This is the second time that law enforcement authorities have attacked Indymedia servers in the UK in the run up to a major event. Last October, just prior to the European Social Forum, Indymedia servers in London were seized in an international law enforcement operation - prompting a wave of protests and solidarity statements from a wide range of organisations [report]. This time, events are unfolding one week before the G8 Summit begins in Scotland.

Could the post have 'triggered' a terrorist alert?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Im reading through all of SO stuff, previous threads, etc...

but can someone explain whats important about these IndyMedia Servers?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Just to throw a little light on the case this seems to be an informed reply to a thread about the topic on Bristol Indymedia.

The Bristol Indymedia stroy is a storm in a tea cup. It's no "political persecution", just part of an ordinary criminal investigation by Transport Police into an incident where rocks were dropped onto trains.

Some twat went on BIM boasting about how they'd bricked trains "to warm up for the G8". BIM mods left the post up for a long time, then only "hid" rather than "deleted" it.

Several people called the cops as a result of the inciteful tone of the post. It really was some psychopath quite blatantly pimping for serious crime, and in no way consisted of "reportage".

Bit sad really.
Anonymouse

bristol.indymedia.org...

I kind of think Inymedia should of complied or at least co-operated with the police.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
right, so police asked indymedia to supply information about someone who they had a report about, indymedia refused, so the police seized the servers.

i dont think this is a big issue, as long as they give them back

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
IMHO it was STUPID of Indymedia to:

1. leave the post up
2. NOT cooperate with the police over something this blatant.

m...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Interesting to see how it can go down.

Any verification on that post, btw? The one that explains it?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
IMHO it was STUPID of Indymedia to:

1. leave the post up
2. NOT cooperate with the police over something this blatant.

m...

? was it STUPID....or was it a deliberate action?!!
................................................................................??

as far as #1. leaving it up, Well...anything else would of been censorship...even if the censorship was a self imposed decision!!

as far as #2. by not cooperating... (i.e. rolling over) the 'press' or 'media'
is essentially exercising their right of 'confidentially' in not exposing their 'source',,,,anything less would be the medias' (Indymedia) accquiesence to give up their constitutional freedom...which could have far wider implications in future cases/instances

IndyMedia, imho, behaved & acted correctly!!! BRAVO!!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
And so ... Some Yobbo posts about kidnapping two little girls, or boys and killing them after a pronlonged story of sexual and mental abuse. The ISP leaves it up and does nothing about it? Freedom of the press or freedom of the internet is supposed to protect him? Hmmm ...

Yes, an extreme example, but actually, illegal is illegal. If you are an ISP, I feel like you still have a social responsibility to take care of the folks who support your cause, the people who culturally support you. That makes it important to the ISP to be committed to supporting the law and order of the culture they deal with. And, thus, they have to be ready to ride out the waves of law enforcement that may occur when they do what is perceived as "crossing over the line".

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
one or more of our countrys seized the say how about the "ast" severs for "ANY REASON",
it would be ok ? i mean we don't really know why they were took, after
all you have read here and other places do you really think you can belive what they
tell you ?it seem eazy to go after severs like in the story that this thread is about,
but would it stop there, a sever "any sever", would have alot of info on it,i really
don't belive that they would only take the info regaurding 1 post, most likly theyed dump
all of in to some other com for later look threw.
i guess what i am saying if they see indymeada as a threat to them, when do they
come after the peeps here, where i live most of the people here think any of us, that
would read or post on a site like "ast", are nuts, after all here in the states we are at war and
the last thing most people want to do is think about anything other then "TV" and "DRINKING",
anything eles is bad news for you, how many of you have had some one give you a bad time for
talking about stuff you read here, you though that maybe someone you knew would call say like
homeland sec because they think your nuts ?we all log in here just like they all log in to indymeada,

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Helll yeah it's a disturbing trend. But not new. The free Internet is taking heavy fire, and has been for a while - and Indymedia's been on the front line the whole time, right up there with Mr. Gates. Carnivore and all the other expensive toys failed to control the Net - so direct physical intervention is the next option. Ie., the FBI seized Indymedia's UK servers just before the US federal election, and surprise surprise, revealing articles critical of the Bush administration disappeared forever.

INDYMEDIA UK SERVERS SIEZED BY FBI!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then in November 2004, Indymedia took it up the butt for publishing a story - along with the LA Times - about military tanks that "just happened" to show up at a peaceful protest rally in LA county. ATS joined the government crowd in dissing Indymedia's coverage, "debunked" the story, and continues to maintain skeptical objectivity.

NORTHCOM Military Support to Civil Authorities:

"In the area of law enforcement... On one occasion state authorities requested military assistance during civil disturbances in Los Angeles County."

www.tecom.usmc.mil...

"Tanks" Dispel Anti-War Protest in USA - and atsnn helps destroy Indymedia's credibility.

...But'cha gotta ask - if Indymedia is SO bad - why does the government work SO hard trying to destroy it?

...Anyway yeah, the free Internet is under attack - numerous arguments are made to justify government intervention and control - and predictably, the scare tactics abound.

Medical Study Says Knowledge Makes People Sick, Advocates Internet Controls

The U.S. government advising stop using IE

Kiss Your Internet Goodbye!
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

...and the recommended solutions, also brought to you on ATS:

Internet Needs a Moderator

Also of interest:

LiveJournal User Turned over to Secret Service for Blog Post

Concentration Camps In America, For Americans - has links to indymedia expose - closed as "redundant"

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I doubt ATS would be affected.. though the likely hood the government tried to crack down on the internet is still up there..

What would it take for some info to get posted on ATS and them instantly sieze our servers? .. or how easy it'd be to JUST SAY THAT and sieze the server.. because, of course, the info is top secret so they couldnt tell what particular item it was..

Be ready for it guys, and when it happens, have a place to fall back to and redirect us!

.. Actually, the more I thought about it the more I questioned if such a "fall back" plan would be needed
Sounds like a fun project to setup for the "just incase"

Maybe setup a deal with the other (yes, the others!!) big conspiracy boards. They may not be as big as this one, but they still have a fan base, and if we were all to 'know' to report to a specific forum, it would prevent the "core" of us from getting temporarily seperated.. Plus if a server like ATS got knocked down, I'm pretty sure 'the people' are gonna wanna hear what we have to say

[edit on 6/29/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
question:if i talk about Russia taking over the U.S.A and some stuff.... (not that Russia will or anything) can i get in trouble with the police for it???

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The police didn't need to take the server.
They only should've gotten a warant for the data of the person in question.

Indy media is in its full right and obligation to not reveal this information without a vallid warant.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
hold on who said what??? who said what when how where??? did they find him/her?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
The police didn't need to take the server. They only should've gotten a warant for the data of the person in question.

Yep. That's the point. They wanted to delete "damaging" stories - and they DIDN'T want to admit that's what they were up to.

Indy media is in its full right and obligation to not reveal this information without a vallid warant.

Doesn't matter. The men-in-black already hit the delete key - but Indymedia's hordes will replace copy faster than the feds can delete it. ...Just remember to back-up your back-ups.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
lol back up ur back ups... so hold on im too lazy to read anything... what exactly happened???

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid
l im too lazy to read anything... what exactly happened???

Nahh. Like, I should do all that work and you won't read it anyway cuz you're too lazy?

Go back. Read the stuff. Ask a better question, kay?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join