It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate Tournament Commentary

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
No. Depending on the circumstances, they might be allowed to post, they might forfeit their reply, or they might forfeit the debate. If you see no post and it's not your turn, don't sweat the deadline. Lateness isn't a huge problem if it's small and an isolated case. Much better to have the debate, no?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well we're underway. Go figure, I drew a real contender in the first round. I half expected the first round to almost be a given for me, but it looks like I'll really be fighting for my life here.
If anyone is watching I'd really be curious to know what they think so far. Personally I feel like I lost the exchange of opening statements, and I'm very anxious to see what my opponent throws at me in his first main post. I still think I've got him- I spent the better part of my day at work with a pen and a pad running over a rough outline of what I want to do with my next post. This Should be a great match though.
I'll probably read a couple of the other threads and post comments on those too in a minute since my opponent is probably going to run late on replying, thus giving me the afternoon off.

About time-zones (since someone brought it up) all of the times are posted for the timezone you have set in your profile, so you don't have to account for timezone differences. If you can't get your timezone to set properly go to your proflie, change the timezone, don't touch anything else and save it, and it will work (or at least it does for me- this is the first time i ever did it using firefox- for all i know it might have been an explorer error causing the problem with setting that in the past).

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm enjoying my debate thus far. I thought i was given a losers topic, I mean who the hell can argue against giving African nations debt relief? But I think I've managed to do some dancing.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Whoa, holy bat cakes. Looks like Vagabond was put on his tiptoes at the edge of the cliff after the first post. There's some serious verbage and analysis being swung around by both sides in that debate. I'm thankful i didn't draw thelibra! Best of luck for both of you...

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Despite a stunningly bad draw on topics which has forced him to adopt a certain apsect of his opponents position (interest forgiveness) KtprKtpr seems to have gained an upperhand in his first reply by digging up good numbers and making at least passing reference to economic theory while Raideur has gone an the topic from a purely rational angle, apparently counting on common sense and brevity to save him from being pulled into a technical discussion which might enable KtprKtpr to score any major counter-punches.

Raideur's style isn't particularly flashy or impressive frankly, but on a seemingly clear cut issue it might be close to what the doctor ordered. If Ktprktpr keeps getting into the numbers and manages to force Raideur into technical matters it could mean a chance to directly controvert one of Raideur's points, which would be bad news.

Vagabond's prediction: Unanimous victory for Ktprktpr

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
hehe i dont know if its going to be clear cut as that. One thing, the judges will be deciding and another there are two more postings left before the conclusions...

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What can I say, other then I'm glad I didn't end up against the Vagabond or thelibra in my first round?
At least I get rid of one of the heavy hitters, although Jake is doin' a good job at the moment in our topic.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
What can I say, other then I'm glad I didn't end up against the Vagabond or thelibra in my first round?
At least I get rid of one of the heavy hitters, although Jake is doin' a good job at the moment in our topic.

Unfortunately this isn't a double elimination tournament; one of us is gonna be gone in a few days, but one of us will remain, and sooner or later a couple of people will have to answer to whichever one of us makes it out of this round.

I'd be smoking a lot less though if it WAS a double elimination tournament. What the heck kind of way is this to start the tournament. If I'd known what I was in for I would have spent a LOT more time on my opening statement. Oh well- I've rolled in self pity enough- I guess I better get back to preparing my next post. Libra, may i recommend in good nature that you put your helmet on.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
eh? this is how it's always been for ats debates. Man against man. Blade against blade. Last one standing wins

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
So far I am enjoying my debate with JBurns. It has really made me think hard especially considering that I personally feel that drug testing is needed in sports. Be on the opposing side boy has really made me do some digging to put some meat to my points. Will be intersted in what the outcome will be.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
What were you thinking of, Vagabond?

Being able to debate the side opposite to your own views is one of the best skills you could ever have in life.

[edit on 6/26/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
What were you thinking of, Vagabond?

Being able to debate the side opposite to your own views is one of the best skills you could ever have in life.

[edit on 6/26/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

I'm really not sure what that is in response to.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I'd be smoking a lot less though if it WAS a double elimination tournament.

What's a "double elimination tournament?"

The second part of my comment was referring to another post.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I'd be smoking a lot less though if it WAS a double elimination tournament.

What's a "double elimination tournament?"

I wasn't -actually- thinking of anything different. The tournament structure is fine. I was joking about a double elimination tournament because I have such a tough first match. In a double elimination tournament nobody is out until they've lost twice, meaning that you can come off of a fluke loss or a bad first-round draw and rally for a win later. To actually use that system wouldn't do anything but reduce the odds of members staying in the tournament for the full duration though.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I wasn't -actually- thinking of anything different. The tournament structure is fine. I was joking about a double elimination tournament because I have such a tough first match. In a double elimination tournament nobody is out until they've lost twice, meaning that you can come off of a fluke loss or a bad first-round draw and rally for a win later. To actually use that system wouldn't do anything but reduce the odds of members staying in the tournament for the full duration though.

great idea

maybe we can have new rules next tournament

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm very pleased with the quality of posts thus far.....we have a talented pool. I've spent plenty of time on various research regarding concepts I am only now familiar with.....can't wait to continue....

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ahhh, I see vaga. That's very interesting. To work proper, I think, we'd have to have smaller amounts of debators. It, or something similar to it, could work out if we tried. I shall ponder.

At any rate, don't anyone forget about grudge matches!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Ahhh, I see vaga. That's very interesting. To work proper, I think, we'd have to have smaller amounts of debators. It, or something similar to it, could work out if we tried. I shall ponder.

Wow, imagine that. Even my jokes are good ideas

At any rate, don't anyone forget about grudge matches!

Oh, there may well be one or two of those. Having at it with libra will make you smarter, if perhaps just a tad meaner.
Speaking of which- did anyone check out my response time on that last one? 24 minutes between his post and my response. Is there a prize for fastest turn-around?
I feel like I got a few shots in this time, but I'm hoping to do the most damage in my third main post. There's still a loose end out there that he hasn't tied down and if he doesn't catch it in his next post I'm gonna unravel it for my closer. That's if I can stay conscious. I stayed up so late for this that I only get 8 hours sleep tonight, and then I'm changing shifts tomorrow I think, which means only 8 hours between getting off work and going back to work. Ay Caramba!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Okay, now I have another question, what's next?
My opponent, JBurns, has unfortunately just resigned the debate I was having with him / her. I hope that we have the opportunity to debate again at a later date.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
That sucks. I hate it when people commit time and then go belly up.

You simply wait till the next round and, I guess, pat yourself on the back.

Double elmination would be interesting. I could've used something that in my debate with Blackjackal to make the total debate pool more interesting.
But the problem is that it would take to long.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join