It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate Tournament Commentary

page: 26
<< 23  24  25   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Wow!

That was one hell of a debate. Nicely done all around, if you ask me.

Man, I'm dying to know how the judges are going to call this one, because I think both sides did a damn good job.

And now, we wait....

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You're always so damn diplomatic Majic.

How would you vote, and why?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
First Rule of Diplomacy: Never lay all your cards out on the table right away.

This was a fantastic debate. I've still go to go through it all, I got distracted by member photos.
From what I've read while skimming for word count, etc., though, it seems really top-notch.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hey all...

I'm back from surgery. I was in and out like the wind. I expected just a lancing, but the good doctor actually removed the hemmy and sent me on my way with a perscription for Lortab. Much better than the Darvocet the clinic had given me.

The downside is, of course, I don't even know what day it is, I fall asleep every few minutes, and if I sleep to long and the medicine wears off, I'm in a world of pain.

Anyway... I think I'm going to go have a nice lie down.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I read the debate.

I agreed with both viewpoints at various different intervals.....

I attempted to determine the winner...

Suffice to say that my comments are irrelevant when applied to the manifestation of the expression of two of my best ATS pals......

My comments may present themselves in the aftermath, but I contend that the two finalists represent the best two standing......

[edit on 14-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's been answered in this thread already, but considering there's over 20 pages on this thread, I don't think it'd be amiss to ask again:

What's the prize?

I mean, bragging rights aside, do we get points, a trophy, a sock monkey, or something like that? Or is it pretty much just some sort of appelation beside our name like "Bad Mother----er" or something...

Anyway, thanks for the compliment Mem. If there was a betting pool on this debate, and a spread was involved in the finals, I think there's gonna be a lot of upsets, as I'm guessing the judging was probably -really- close on this one.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Judging is taking a few days. Maybe they just don't want to give a sick guy bad news. You worried Libra? Just kiddin.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Not sure about the prize, but bragging rights are definately included....

Btw.....I was having computer troubles and as such, I didn't have a chance to express well wishes towards your Real Life.......I trust that all is well...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Diplomatic Immunity

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
You're always so damn diplomatic Majic.

How would you vote, and why?

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
First Rule of Diplomacy: Never lay all your cards out on the table right away.

Um, what Amory said.

Saving The Best For Last

Originally posted by MemoryShock
My comments may present themselves in the aftermath, but I contend that the two finalists represent the best two standing......

Agreed.

Personally, I've been very impressed with all the entrants. I've learned a hell of a lot about debating by watching the tournament progress.

And now we have the two finalists who have duked it out over what can only be described as an awesome topic.

I'll be shocked if this isn't a close one, but I'll leave that up to others to decide for now.

Am I too chicken to comment before the decision? Sure. Sure I am.

Perhaps more accurately, though, I just wouldn't want to jinx it either way.

So, um, speaking of which, any word yet from the distinguished panel of arbiters?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Judging is taking a few days. Maybe they just don't want to give a sick guy bad news. You worried Libra? Just kiddin.

(grins) Nothing to be worried about really. If I lose the debate, I've lost nothing. I can't even say I'd lose my pride as WyrdeOne was such a good opponent. I wouldn't even consider the time investment a loss because of everything I've learned about the world during it.

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Btw.....I was having computer troubles and as such, I didn't have a chance to express well wishes towards your Real Life.......I trust that all is well...

I wouldn't say all is well, more like "Barely Tolerable". I'm on both Darvocet and Lortab to deal with the pain, which makes me nauseous in the best of times, and comotose otherwise. I'm still bleeding profusely enough to require changing my dressings every couple of hours, and I've seen more hours in the bathtub in the last four days than I've had hot meals this year. And my sleeping schedule has become a mockery of anything remotely approaching "routine".

Compared to the pain I was going through -before- surgery, though, I'm in heaven.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Great job WyrdOne and theLibra!

My hat's off to WyrdOne for slugging this one through. My only question is when will the next debate start... it'll be fun to watch!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
WyrdeOne, YOU Are The Champion!

Congratulations on a job well done! You slugged your way to the top of the heap and have earned the coveted title of Master Debater.

I mentioned it before, but it's not lip service for me to point out how impressed I am with the entire field of contestants.

In particular, my hat is off to thelibra for a brilliant showing. The final debate was one of the best I've seen anywhere, and I personally thought it was a very tough call.

This has been an awesome tournament. We laughed, we cried, but most of all, now we know who's the biggest badass of them all -- until next time, of course.

Once again, major kudos to WyrdeOne for a tremendous accomplishment.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Thank you, thank you, no applause please. Just send money.

What fun that was! I was cheated out of a debate with OTS though, I suspect he would have beat me and made it to the finals in my stead. We'll see though, we'll see...

Hopefully Amory and/or Nygdan will help us set up a grudge match sometime in the future. I'm ready, still got some fire in my blood left over from the pound of peppercorns I ate in preparation for the debates.

Memory Shock is another opponent I would like to face off against. Maybe it can be arranged in the future?

I want to thank the judges for organizing the debates, and the judges for doing their thang as well, I know I speak for everyone when I say, the effort is appreciated guys and gals.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You know who to call.

Congrats again to both of ya, it was really very enjoyable to read through all of that, and that's coming from a guy who could be on the beach!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow, memoryshock is certainly in demand.
I SAW HIM FIRST! lol

Anyway, I'll give the mods and judges time to rest their eyes.
I'll U2U you soon about grudge matches Amory.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Congratulations to thelibra and WyrdeOne for an excellent debate finale!!! The combination of heavey hitters and Exceptional topic made for an entertaining as well as educational experience.....well done all around.

I would also like to extend gratitude to the entire debating pool.....you all have contributed to my excitement towards the Debate Forum and will anticipate any participation by any party who chooses to participate in such an incredible mental exercise......i.e. I can't wait to participate and read in the future debates......

Judges, Moderators......you guys rock as well....I fully appreciated some of the lucid critique that helped support your decisions....

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Memory Shock is another opponent I would like to face off against. Maybe it can be arranged in the future?

The future it is then, my good pal.....indeed I would savor the oppurtunity to square off against you in a 'formal' setting.......

Stay tuned everybody.......the season for Grudge Match is upon us.....

The Vagabond is very, very hungry......I almost think that it wasn't wise of me to set myself so near to the dinner table........

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Vagabond IS hungry, but given the topic we've chosen I've given myself a pretty good chance to go unfed. Can't wait to see how that turns out when the time comes.
(I was outlining my argument today while I was waiting for my assessment tests to register for school today. I got some stuff lined up for you
. Good thing, because that's all I accomplished- all of the courses I need are full. It will be a miracle if I even start school this semester at all.)

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
(I was outlining my argument today while I was waiting for my assessment tests to register for school today. I got some stuff lined up for you
. Good thing, because that's all I accomplished- all of the courses I need are full. It will be a miracle if I even start school this semester at all.)

Can't wait to see it.....Good luck on school..

Edit for spelling of the word 'good'.....Doesn't bode well for me in the debate as well , eh Vagabond.....

[edit on 16-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Congratz WyrdeOne!

Not really sure what else to say, I've thanked and complimented everyone from competitors to judges to staff. It's time for a long deserved rest and recouperation. I'm gonna take a bit of time off to relax now.

top topics

<< 23  24  25   >>

join