It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Virus Kills Multiple Types of Cancer Cells, Possible Cure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The AAV2 virus, common to most humans, has the ability to detect and then either destroy, or slow the replication rate of cancer cells. The virus affects epithelial cancers, which include cervical, breast, prostrate, and squamous cell cancer, all without doing damage to healthy cells, something that current cancer treatments fail to accomplish.

www.physorg.com
"Our results suggest that adeno-associated virus type 2 (AAV2), which infects the majority of the population but has no known ill effects, kills multiple types of cancer cells yet has no effect on healthy cells," said Craig Meyers, Ph.D., professor of microbiology and immunology, Penn State College of Medicine, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. "We believe that AAV2 recognizes that the cancer cells are abnormal and destroys them. This suggests that AAV2 has great potential to be developed as an anti-cancer agent."

"Even without co-mingling with another virus, AAV2 seems to be able to infect and express itself in other types of cancer cells also disrupting their ability to survive and inducing cell death," Meyers said. "Although we suspect it is, more studies are needed to determine if the mechanism through which AAV2 destroys cancer cells is the same." Scientists often refer to cancer cells as deregulated, meaning they are no longer acting or communicating like normal, healthy cells. It appears that AAV2 is able to recognize cells that have undergone deregulation, infect them, express its own genes, which disrupt the host cell's life cycle and kill it.

In this study, the team first used HPV infected epithelial cells and normal human epithelial cells, which are natural hosts for both AAV2 and HPV. In cultures infected with both AAV2 and HPV, the team found that after six days, all HPV infected cells had died. Meyers then used the same approach in four types of cancer – cervical, breast, prostate and squamous cell - all epithelial cell cancers. Epithelial cells are those that cover or line all of the internal and external parts of the body. No matter the type of epithelial cancer cells, when treated with AAV2, all cancer cells were dead in six days. Though previous have investigated the cancer-targeting potential of AAV2, none allowed the AAV2 to remain in culture long enough to see the effect that Meyers and his team observed. "One of the most compelling findings is that AAV2 appears to have no pathologic effects on healthy cells," Meyers said. "So many cancer therapies are as poisonous to healthy cells as they are to cancer cells. A therapy that is able to distinguish between healthy and cancer cells could be less difficult to endure for those with cancer." Though similar in design and effectiveness to some gene therapies, Meyers and his team did not modify the AAV2, but left it in its natural form. Therefore, it would not be classified as a gene therapy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was taken by surprise that a virus had the ability to do good instead of harm, and be less indiscriminate in it's cell targeting than even our own current cancer treatments.

The article goes on to mention that the virus will be enhanced after it's researched more thoroughly, to respond more aggressively to cancer cells to make it a better candidate for cancer therapy. This is very exciting news. If all goes well, we may have a cancer treatment that won't have any negative effects on the patient.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Good find
voted a yes but really should be in the Sci-Tech Forum...

Seems that this may provide some promising treatments for the thing that kills 1/3 of people... Lots of new devolopments yearly in Cancer research and treatment. I firmly believe that in 10 years time hopefully we will very good treatments and success with most Cancer events, though ultimatley the actual Success will come from early diagnosis and good screening. Hopefully this new treatment when developed will get past this problem and allow it to be treated with none of the side effects currently with Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy.

MischeviouslyGladElfDosntSmokeAnymore

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
That's quite amazing that a virus that's just hanging around our bodies with no known reason, turns out to be busy killing cancer cells..

Nature has a cure for everything I guess, we just need to figure out how she does it.

I wonder if this explains why some people defy all the odds and never get cancers, while others seem doomed to get cancer regardless of their lifestyles. I'd like to know the percentages of people with/without the virus and with/without cancer.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Oops, you're right Elf. I posted this late last night after promising Astronomer68 I'd put up the article he found, and forgot to choose 'Sci/Tech'. But yes, there do seem to be many promising treatments in the future...I posted a story about another one just 2 days ago!

MyThats, I'm, curious about that too actually. I'll try to find the numbers later on today, but with the discovery being so new....

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I feel there is a virus for everything, just takes time to find.

Good find

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Wow, this may be a cure for a disease that has taken the lives of many. But does the virus harm you as well like the flu or C.O.L.D?

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
No Ranch, according to the article, the virus has been found to have no negative effects on the human body. Compare that to treatments like chemotherapy which wreak total havoc on our systems.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
That's quite amazing that a virus that's just hanging around our bodies with no known reason, turns out to be busy killing cancer cells..

Nature has a cure for everything I guess...

Not picking on you, Probe. Just thinking to myself, 'here is more evidence that we may be a genetically-engineered species'.

I've always considered viruses to be genetic engineering tools gone bad after many generations of neglect- during civilization's multiple lapses back into the dark ages.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Chakotay]

new topics

top topics

join