It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U2 Plane Crashes in Secret Asia Location

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

A U2 Spy plane has crashed at a secret location in Asia. The pilot died. The location of the crash is being held secret because of "host nation sensitivities"...

News10: Spy Plane Crashes in Secret Southeast Asia Location

The U.S. military says the pilot of an Air Force U2 spy plane has died, after the plane crashed in southwest Asia.

A statement from the Central Command says the pilot was returning to a base from a mission supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

The military isn't yet releasing the location of the crash. A Central Command spokesman had earlier said the specific location of the crash wasn't being revealed because of "host nation sensitivities."

Related News Sources:
NBC5,com: Pilot Dies As U.S. Spy Plane Crashes In Southwest Asia
First Coast News: American Spy Plane Crashes in SW Asia
BBC: US spy plane crashes in SW Asia

[edit on 2005/6/22 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Lockzors my friend. Your a little late!

Good pic though

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Lockzors my friend. Your a little late!

Good pic though

My search didn't reveal any threads on ATS. Link please?

edit: I found it now.
U-2 Spy Plane down in SW Asia

I even did use "U2" and "spy" as search words in separate searches...

I should have used "U-2" or "Spy" perhaps?

If you liked the picture, here's another:

Photo: Scanpix

[edit on 2006/4/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Any guesses on which Middle Eastern country this plane went down in? The articles make it seem as though it's a friendly nation, but one that may not have a very pro-US population which is why they are keeping it under wraps. Maybe Saudi Arabia? I'd like to hear some theories...

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Geez, you guys crack me up. "Secret location" my butt. It was landing at the Al Dhafra air base in the United Arab Emirates, where we have been flying out of since 1991.

Right now, looks like pilot error.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Army]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army
Geez, you guys crack me up. "Secret location" my butt. It was landing at the Al Dhafra air base in the United Arab Emirates, where we have been flying out of since 1991.

Right now, looks like pilot error.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Army]

Didnt know the army was breifed on the airforces secret planes and thier operational areas....

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's no secret where they fly out of. It's a secret where they fly OVER. You can probably do a little bit of research and find out most of the bases they use, although I can tell you right now, Okinawa in the Pacific, Diego Garcia, UAE, and England are the big bases they fly out of. This mission was over Afghanistan, and he crashed on landing. It's not an easy plane to land, or take off, and if anything happened he wouldn't have been able to save it. It may even have been a simple case of pilot error.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Put the math together (combine do the math, and put it together).

US Gubmint New Secret War: IRAN
Best Way of Finding Baddies/Targets: Reconnaisance
Three Ways of Remote Aerial Reconnaisance: Drones, Satellites, Spyplanes
BEST Absolute Way: U2 Spyplane (best optics, better resolution than Sat)
Crash Location: Claimed Border of "Afghanistan"
Where Afghanistan Borders: IRAN

Now we come full circle. I'm not paranoid, this is just very plausible.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The crash site according to every article I read so far was the airbase he departed from in the UAE. NOT the border of Afghanistan.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Helmutt,
Here are the links to the threads that have already been started on this topic today
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and as a news submission

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If he crashed in UAE then it wouldn't be a "secret." The article stated that it was the base of orgin and his return base. Just because they claim the accident occurred while preparing for landing does not mean it was in the landing country. With the height and speed these planes fly, he very well could begin his approach 500 miles away!

The fact that we supposedly already have the crash site surrounded and located leads me to believe that it didn't occur in Iran, or if it did it was very close to the border. I can't see Iran allowing us to bring troops in to recover the crashed plane and pilot.

Like I said in a previous post, I think it was a semi-friendly country to the US, but one that has a popular anti-US sentiment amongst its population. Obviously they'd be angry if they knew that their government allowed US military overflights in their airspace. It's like when no one knew until after the war that we used Jordan's bases and airspace to launch attacks on Iraq (I think it was Jordan at least). But you get my drift...

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It was probably reported as secret, as someone else said to not remind the less friendly Arab nations that the UAE is letting us use their bases to fly spy planes out of. The unit that the plane belongs to IS flying out of the UAE now. The U-2 actually begins final approach at about 700 miles. The UAE is the best place for them to fly out of for missions over Afghanistan and Iraq because the flight time is a lot less than anywhere else, and cuts down on pilot stress. Probably 95% of U-2 crashes or more are either on take off or landing due to the plane being so hard to fly. The article very clearly states that he was landing at the airfield in the UAE.

UAE government sources said the crash was on Al Dhafra Air Base, about an hour outside the capital city of Abu Dhabi. The base is used by U.S. forces.
The pilot, a member of the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, was returning to Al Dhafra after having completed a mission over Afghanistan, the military said.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Good!

Their music's never been that good and the last few albums have been poo. A pub band that got lucky IMO.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CTID56092
Good!

Their music's never been that good and the last few albums have been poo. A pub band that got lucky IMO.

What?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
think music group U2. heh.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by CTID56092
Good!

Brilliant!

new topics

top topics

join