It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Diabetes really be "healed"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I know this sounds kind'a crazy, but I recently watched a commercial for a weight-loss program, (available at a clinic here in Sacramento) and in this commercial, one of the customers/spokepeople/acresses claimed that her Diabetes went away.

Is this possible? Can something as simple as weight loss cure Diabetes? I REALLY need a medical professional to chime in on this one! My wife has Diabetes!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
My father and sister have it too. I have never heard of a case where weight loss had "cured" diabetes. It can HELP diabetes, but I've never heard of it curing it. I recently heard where the Japanese I think it was used stem cells to get rid of diabetes in a child. I think this is the best chance there is for being able to completely get rid of diabetes.

I have the feeling that in the case of the weight loss, she started eating right, to lose the weight, which caused her blood sugar to balance, which made it SEEM like her diabetes went away. Depending on the type of diabetes you can control your blood sugar with food and don't have to have insulin every day.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Depends.

If it's Type 1 (generally known as juvenile-onset), then no - there's no cure at the moment; there have been a few tests of islet transplant, and some have been successful - but it's going to be awhile before that becomes available to most, and even then, it's a relatively small number of patients who would be suitable.

Type 2, however, is generally adult-onset, and be cured (ie, blood glucose returns to normal, permanently)...often with only diet and exercise.

A lower-carb (eat the right carbs - whole grains, vegetables...and leave the sugar and processed flours alone!) diet can really, really help all diabetics though. But as it stands now, only Type 2 can be eliminated through these measures.

HTH

Linky to information regarding islet transplantation

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Actually a few years ago this boy had some pretty bad diabetes in Mexico and a Mexican scientist was able to reduce the amount of penisilin needed for hime using rat blood formula.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
that would be insulin, not penicillin.

rat blood would scare me.

there was an article here in the local papers (NYC) about islet transplants. the results have been very promising.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Sure there is a cure just figure out a way to get her kidneys to fail and they will give her a kidney and pancreas transplant. Otherwise its considered a easy to control problem..........

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
stem stells can fix almost anything i heard maybe that includes diabetes.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by minniescar
Sure there is a cure just figure out a way to get her kidneys to fail and they will give her a kidney and pancreas transplant. Otherwise its considered a easy to control problem..........

No, it's not that easy at all - and definitely not that black and white.

Type 2 is often easy to control yes, but Type 1 is much, much more difficult to control. Type 2 can be solved by diet and exercise much of the time; Type 1 cannot.

Kidney and pancreatic transplants are not always successful....and again, not every patient would even be suitable.

And currently stem cells don't offer much in terms of curing diabetes.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sernova is a company that has an artificial pancreas that doesn't require the continual dosing of immune suppressant drugs. You do have to take the immune suppressors for a few weeks, but after the cells get established they are protected by a patented process of using Sertoli cells from pigs to protect the implanted cells which are held in a cell pouch patented membrane. The clinical trials are underway right now, and they are set to be completed by October 2012. Here's a link to an article discussing the revolutionary procedure:

seekingalpha.com...

With all the 2012 hype that's been going on for all these years-I can say what 2012 means to me. It means getting rid of an illness that would have had the potential to destroy my life.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Type one is autoimmune and NO it can't be. Type two sometimes can be.
I have autoimmune ... SJOGRENS ... I wish to God autoimmune could be cured.
But it can't. Freak'n sucks.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Parsley is known since old times in Turkey to cure diabetes. There are even two studies in PUBMED:

Effects of parsley (Petroselinum crispum) extract versus glibornuride on the liver of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.

2006 Mar 8 Ozsoy-Sacan O, Yanardag R, Orak H, Ozgey Y, Yarat A, Tunali T. Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Istanbul University, 34320 Avcilar, Istanbul, Turkey.

Abstract Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) is one of the medicinal herbs used by diabetics in Turkey. The aim of this study is to investigate the effects of parsley (2g/kg) and glibornuride (5mg/kg) on the liver tissue of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Swiss albino rats were divided into six groups: control; control+parsley; control+glibornuride; diabetic; diabetic+parsley; diabetic+glibornuride. Diabetes was induced by intraperitoneal injection of 65 mg/kg streptozotocin (STZ). Parsley extract and glibornuride were given daily to both diabetic and control rats separately, until the end of the experiment, at day 42.

The drugs were administered to one diabetic and one control group from days 14 to 42. On day 42, liver tissues were taken from each rat. In STZ-diabetic group, blood glucose levels, serum alkaline phosphatase activity, uric acid, sialic acid, sodium and potassium levels, liver lipid peroxidation (LPO), and non-enzymatic glycosylation (NEG) levels increased, while liver glutathione (GSH) levels and body weight decreased.

In the diabetic group given parsley, blood glucose, serum alkaline phosphatase activity, sialic acid, uric acid, potassium and sodium levels, and liver LPO and NEG levels decreased, but GSH levels increased. The diabetic group, given glibornuride, blood glucose, serum alkaline phosphatase activity, serum sialic acid, uric acid, potassium, and liver NEG levels decreased, but liver LPO, GSH, serum sodium levels, and body weight increased. It was concluded that probably, due to its antioxidant property, parsley extract has a protective effect comparable to glibornuride against hepatotoxicity caused by diabetes.

Effects of parsley (Petroselinum crispum) on the liver of diabetic rats: a morphological and biochemical study

Bolkent S, Yanardag R, Ozsoy-Sacan O, Karabulut-Bulan O.
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Istanbul University, 34459-Vezneciler, Istanbul, Turkey.

Abstract Parsley is used by diabetics in Turkey to reduce blood glucose. The present study aims to investigate both the morphological and biochemical effects of parsley on liver tissue. Rat hepatocytes were examined by light and electron microscopy. Degenerative changes were observed in the hepatocytes of diabetic rats. These degenerative changes were significantly reduced or absent in the hepatocytes of diabetic rats treated with parsley. Blood glucose levels, alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase were observed to be raised in diabetic rats. Diabetic rats treated with parsley demonstrated significantly lower levels of blood glucose, alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase. The present study suggests that parsley demonstrates a significant hepatoprotective effect in diabetic rats..

edit on 13-1-2012 by Brasov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Other responders have mentioned Type 2 being reversible, and I agree that with the proper nutrition (with or without supplementation) medications can be reduced and even stopped. Also, you can become temporarily Type 2 if you are under extreme stress, like being hospitalized/ being on steroids/ other meds and that can be reversed as well. My mother was able to get off all her meds when we changed her diet and supplements, and has been off them for 3 years. She's in her 60s, and if she can do it, many more people may be able to. We've had to be extremely vigilant and highly aware of exactly what she eats while closely monitoring her BG. You can't just cut calories, you have to eat real food with high nutrient content and a balanced dance of protein, fats and carbs. We received terrible advice from some of her drs regarding nutrition and instead explored the ideas of Dr Mark Hyman (Ultrametabolism & Ultralongevity) and Dr. Fuhrman (Eat Right to Live & Superimmunity) as well as others. What's amazing is how simple it can be to prevent Type 2, and what's frightening is how few doctors are involved in actually informing their patients on how to get well. It's much easier and more profitable to write a rx and take bloodwork every few months. I call it "monitoring the decline".

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I have a family member with Sjogrens, it is very difficult to live with for her and for us to watch her suffer. She had some success with 2 treatments for other things. Although she has the markers for Sjogrens (positive tests), it turned out she actually had an immune disorder. Her body does not produce certain antibodies in sufficient amounts. It presents as autoimmune symptoms, but is treated in a completely different way by strengthening the immune system with infusions of antibody plasma. Check out Primary Immune Deficiency/ Common Variable Immune Deficiency and get your antibody levels tested. The other treatment is IV infusions of glutathione. She had it for tremors, but it vastly improved her Sjogrens symptoms. Best of luck to you!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
There are many possiblities to heal Diabetes. This is in my view, the best and most permanent solution that has changed many lives.

Type 1 Diabetes cured:

As a doctor who has treated diabetes for nearly thirty years, I can tell you with certainty that the standard medical protocols and management of this illness are not only inappropriate, they’re absurd. In sharp contrast, Gabriel Cousens, MD, has developed a protocol for successfully restoring the health and well-being of diabetics – sparing them from the pain and agony of unnecessary and inevitable amputations, obesity, blindness, and pre-mature death.” - Daniel Nuchovich, MD (director of Jupiter Gardens Medical and Jupiter Institute of Healing Arts)

"I’m beginning to think of the raw vegan diet as a “diet for life”. I don’t miss the old ways and I certainly don’t miss waking up and sticking my finger to see another reading in the high 200s or low 300s. Conventional medicine doesn’t believe we can cure ourselves of this disease, but only manage it. If you have Type II diabetes, know there is hope. As Gabriel Cousens, MD, writes in the book that became my Bible for healing: “There is a Cure for Diabetes.” 
 - Bobbie Jo L., Reversing Diabetes Naturally participant, September 2009

“Gabriel Cousens, MD has clearly established himself as the world’s leading medical authority on diabetes. His Tree of Life Program is proven to completely reverse Type 2 diabetes and markedly improve the condition of those suffering from Type 1 diabetes.” -David Wolfe, author of Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future, Eating For Beauty, The Sunfood Diet Success System, and more)

Read more here:

www.gabrielcousens.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Type 2 diabetes can be controlled by diet. If you are obese and have type 2 diabetes, then lose weight.

When you do , you diabetes symptoms will go away.

I don't know if this is 100%.

If you have type 1 diabetes, you cannot cure it with weight loss.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hello

I have heard of someone getting cured from Type 2. Remember, there are varying levels within this classification. If the person has levels that just gets them there, then with loss of weight would be enough to be cured. There are a lot of variables of course dependent upon the person, genetics, etc.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sayaangel

Thanks. I'll read up on it asap. I'm not at the point where I need IVIG. But this is a progressive systemic disease so I could easily be in my future. I'm on 400mg plaquinel right now. It makes it so I can mostly function. I also have (untreatable) glaucoma which is complicating things a bit. (today - on top of 'the usual' - the neuropathy is making me bite my tongue and my feet feel like someone has used them as punching bags .. YEEEOUCH!.) Strange freak'n disease.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky
Type 1 Diabetes cured:

IMPOSSIBLE.

You should see what people in my Sjogrens support group say when people say to them ... 'oh .. autoimmune? Type 1 Diabetes or Sjogrens?? It's curable.' (then again .. I don't think I could post it here!) ABSOLUTELY NOT. Symptoms can be mitigated. But it can not cured.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well that is basicly what i was planning on posting so ...well..^that

top topics

join